Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   150mph volvo 440 please help (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=16922)

carmagedon Mar 10th, 2006 00:50

150mph volvo 440 please help

can anyone tell me if this is a standard 440glt. ive only had the car 4 days and im gob smacked, iv even had the engine looked at by a garage and been told that the engine looks normal. it is a non turbo. and looks as it should, so here goes: the kick down on this automatic slams you into the back of the seat! and pulls like a thing possed all the way round to the speedo limit of 140mph! and then past it! the car has 157.000 on the clock is this normal? if not how could this have been modified .:Banane32:

gnhuk Mar 10th, 2006 09:09

I'd start by checking the speedo against a GPS................

carmagedon Mar 10th, 2006 14:30

thanks for the reply

thanks for the reply. ive had the speedo check and it was correct.

foggyjames Mar 10th, 2006 16:41

That sounds like a whole bagload of non-standard to me. GLT would be a 2.0, but I wouldn't expect it to be able to do much over 120 (on the speedo).

cheers

James

TJMurphy Mar 10th, 2006 17:18

Could it be a different model engine I wonder - so it would look standard in that it didn't have extra bits hanging off, but not what it left the factory with? If it wasn't a garage that was familiar with the model (after all it's quite old now) maybe that would throw them? But I'd have thought a new engine would require something on the log book or the VIN numbers wouldn't tie up or something (idle speculation on my part here)?

I can't believe a bog standard 440GLT would do those sorts of speeds ... lucky blighter if you have got one that does it (and it's not an insurance problem waiting to bite you).

bobcat Mar 10th, 2006 17:30

my volvo 480 1.7 na struggled past 100, so im not sure about yours. maybe its got a turbo lump.

imac Mar 10th, 2006 17:37

Haha.

I reckon its got a V8 conversion, lol!

In all seriousness, probably a messed with turbo engine?

foggyjames Mar 10th, 2006 18:17

When you say it's a non-turbo...is that just the way it's badged / supposed to be, or have you actually checked to see that there isn't a turbo lurking there?

I doubt even a mildly breathed-on 2.0 would manage those speeds without you being very much aware that it had been tinkered with. My 360 won't top 135mph, and it has 140bhp and a pair of snorting great carbs that make a racket!

What RPM is it doing at 150mph?

cheers

James

go go 440 Mar 10th, 2006 22:00

Faster faster

:Banane45:

Well the other night I pushed our 1.8 to about 155mph on the motorway,

:Banane45:

Faster, faster, I shouted but a Porche got in the way, he was hogging the overtaking lane so I had to hold back but I found that all the braking I had to do to slow down for the Porche made my brake fliud boil to the point of nothing there.

Suddenly the brakes came back on again to full effect, spinning the car round and around all over the place, threw me up in the air out of the window and I landed on the ground.

When I came to, I realised I had fallen out of bed, blimey what a fool I felt !!:) :) :)

sandythecaddie Mar 10th, 2006 22:57

no reason at all why these speeds are not possible if the engine is in a1 condition. just check your ecu unit to see if it's been chipped. just for insurance purposes only. you don't want your insurance company having an easy get out clause. look after it and enjoy it while you can.