Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   A very very hot back wheel and even hotter disc (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=241409)

andyKent Dec 14th, 2015 17:18

A very very hot back wheel and even hotter disc

So, after doing the mounts and ABS rings, and having (for the first time in more than a year) no warning lights on the dash, I was feeling quite pleased. So pleased that I went to top up the tyre pressures before doing some driving at the weekend. This happened to follow a 30 min journey at b-road speeds.

When I got to the back drivers side wheel to take off the dust cap I noticed a strange hot-oven smell and then realised that the wheel was too hot to touch. While the wheel was hot, the disc was radiating heat much stronger than the wheel itself (alloy), so I'm guessing something is stuck/seized. For reference, the other 3 wheels were not more than luke warm and the discs not that warm either (considering the 30 min drive).

With this in mind, I thought back to my last drive on the motorway and a more recent run up a long hill and recalled some vague impressions that the mpg was 10 points lower than I was used to on the motorway and the pull up hill quite a bit not-so-vigorous-as-usual for that hill and this car. I also recalled some 'hot oven smells' in the last few weeks (after getting out of the car at the destination) that I had put down to a hot engine bay without any further thought, but actually which were not normal at all (hindsight). Almost certainly the same smell and from the same place (not from the engine bay).

Although I've done the mounts and both front ABS rings in the last few weeks, I haven't touched the back wheels at all (ever) - they've only come off for a full set of tyres a long time back. The only thing I can imagine that might have had a recent impact on the back wheels would be jacking the car (at the front positions, for the front wheels) or putting the car on ramps (front wheels up for mounts). I wouldn't expect simply taking the weight off and putting it back on again to result in this kind of symptom and the disc doesn't look scored or warped (yet). Also, the heat was much greater in the disc than the calliper.

I guess it's weakly possible that one of us could have driven a short way with the (useless) parking brake engaged by accident but I don't recall doing that for more than a few yards at most (and this is usually prescribed as a 'fix the useless parking brake for the MOT' procedure).

Obviously, I'll be jacking the car up asap to see if the wheel spins freely and to see if there's anything obvious wrong with it, but I was wondering if anybody can point out anything obvious I should consider (or pointers to threads would be great).

Thanks in advance and here's to yet another adventure in Volvo land!

Andy

galloot633 Dec 14th, 2015 17:39

Sounds like you've got a sticking caliper/piston, had both of my rears replaced
Dave

bobdabuilda Dec 14th, 2015 17:42

Caliper sticking without doubt.

EdmundIJones Dec 14th, 2015 17:44

Yep, sticking caliper, strip it down, give it a good grease and make sure everything slides as it should.

ifzal123 Dec 14th, 2015 17:52

I agree

Sticking caliper. Happened to wife's honda civic. Brake disk was very hot. In the end a new caliper discs and pads were required

andyKent Dec 14th, 2015 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmundIJones (Post 2026562)
Yep, sticking caliper, strip it down, give it a good grease and make sure everything slides as it should.

Wow - that was fast, concise and unambiguous - thanks all! I guess it's pretty obvious that this is rather a perilous situation and I really appreciate it.

Ok, will try that first and if that doesn't do the trick I'll expect to order some parts.

Any recommendations for rapid UK supply & delivery (next day)? (calipers)

...not sure I want to drive to Volvo to pick up parts (1hr round trip) with the car in this state.

Andy

PS - if somebody recalls a thread detailing this procedure then I'm all ears!

Biodieselgrandad Dec 14th, 2015 21:34

NEVER EVER EVER EVER......
Use copper grease on or near anything rubber!!
It will make the rubber swell and cause things to stick or bind!
White grease or red rubber grease every time:GEEK:

Clan Dec 14th, 2015 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biodieselgrandad (Post 2026713)
NEVER EVER EVER EVER......
Use copper grease on or near anything rubber!!
It will make the rubber swell and cause things to stick or bind!
White grease or red rubber grease every time:GEEK:

or leave it dry as volvo intended ..

It could also be the parking brake shoes parting and jamming . In my 40+ year experience you can never recover a caliper which is sticking it always sticks again sooner or later . a new caliper is called for .
I would be prepared for a full rear brake overhaul , does the parking brake work ok? if not have some new VOLVO shoes on hand and discs and pads if you think necessary ..

Biodieselgrandad Dec 14th, 2015 21:58

Clan.....if it the handbrake let it bind!
May be the only time the handbrake would work enough to hold the car still!!

owenfackrell Dec 14th, 2015 22:25

My calliper stuck. I ended up refurbishing the caliper and replacing the piston as it had corroded which is what caused it to stick. Be warned that the brake pad will quickly wear away. Mine went from almost new to next to nothing left in a few weeks.