Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Volvo On Call (VOC) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=204523)

Considered1 May 2nd, 2014 14:39

Volvo On Call (VOC)

Awaiting delivery of the finest specced car I will have ever owned does leave me pondering if I really need some of these things. Actually I know I dont NEED VOC and I must confess I originally thought it would allow pre-heating and cooling but now realise you need to dig a little deeper than just watching Volvo promotional videos'.

I would like to ask those that have VOC if they would purchase again and indeed keep it going after the 2 (or3) year initial period is up.

Do they find it useful and what will I need when I collect my car - A data sim?

I'd rather not get into the debate about value for money with options from those that dont have VOC and let the voice of those owners who have it or have had it in the past air their views

I also hoped it would make the car more "future proof" for upgrades etc but again fear this may be fairly limited.

I am interested in the upgrade for a true Tracking device which I saw somewhere on the volvo accessories site if anyone knows how much this is and if it is then recognised by insurance companies.

As always genuine feedback is truly appreciated and will provide others looking at this option with informed info and choice... Thank You.

NickHoward May 2nd, 2014 15:22

This is an option I seriously considered, but ultimately left it out.

You can't miss what you've never had as they say..... But I do wish I could use the "send to car" function from my mobile.

It is available using the Volvo On Call app, and it is certainly something I would use on a regular basis if I had the subscription.

Appreciate you want to hear from people who have it, but coming from someone who doesn't, I would get it for the above feature alone :)

That, and I just plain like gadgety stuff :)

Considered1 May 2nd, 2014 15:25

Thanks Nick, I did think that Send to Car was a Sensus thing..so you need VOC for that?

NickHoward May 2nd, 2014 15:28

You can do it from a computer (using here.com).

But I have yet to find out how to do it from a mobile device (as here.com on a mobile will only send you to the mobile site, and not give you the option to change back to "desktop view".)

Who doesn't love having an app hey.... and the VOC app looks pretty decent.

An easy to navigate app..... with an easy way to input postcodes and send to car would be ideal for me.

Unfortunately I have to plan ahead and remember to add them to here.com when I'm on the website..... Third world issues hey!

S60Chris May 2nd, 2014 18:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Considered1 (Post 1637913)
Awaiting delivery of the finest specced car I will have ever owned does leave me pondering if I really need some of these things. Actually I know I dont NEED VOC and I must confess I originally thought it would allow pre-heating and cooling but now realise you need to dig a little deeper than just watching Volvo promotional videos'.

I would like to ask those that have VOC if they would purchase again and indeed keep it going after the 2 (or3) year initial period is up.

I'd rather not get into the debate about value for money with options from those that dont have VOC and let the voice of those owners who have it or have had it in the past air their views

I also hoped it would make the car more "future proof" for upgrades etc but again fear this may be fairly limited.

I am interested in the upgrade for a true Tracking device which I saw somewhere on the volvo accessories site if anyone knows how much this is and if it is then recognised by insurance companies.

As always genuine feedback is truly appreciated and will provide others looking at this option with informed info and choice... Thank You.

We have VOC - and purchased it on our 2013 XC60 for the added safety. The car belongs to (soon to be) Mrs S60chris and she drives a lot on her own - so if she falls off the road and lands upside-down in a ditch, I want to know that even if she isn't able to herself, the car will call 999 and give the operator exact details of location and what type of collision she has been involved in.

Other benefits are the iPhone app - she's forever forgetting to lock her car, so after half an hour of it being left unlocked, a little push message comes up on the lock screen of both of our iPhones and it can be locked via the app.

Tracking comes as standard - if you call VOC they will tell you where the car is. They will give this information to the Police if the car gets pinched too. Most handy.

bobarctor May 2nd, 2014 19:06

Any idea how much it costs to extend beyond the included 3 years? £150 a year (based on option cost of£450/3)? Or less?

Whiterdesign May 2nd, 2014 19:19

Just renewed mine after 2 years, it costs £131 for 12 months, think it was about £250 for 2 years. Not cheap but it is a safety item especially when wife driving. Also acts as a tracker device so taking these things into account probably worth the money.

Just noticed your comment saying 3 years, have they changed it mine only came with 2 years access.

Clan May 2nd, 2014 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Considered1 (Post 1637913)

http://www.volvocars.com/intl/sales-...s/default.aspx

Don't forget to read the 7 headings below the ON CALL page displayed ..

tem May 2nd, 2014 19:33

I had VOC many moons ago on my first XC90.
Beside all the safety and tracking features, the selling point for me was the planned OTA updates, which would save some visits to the dealer.
Sadly, this never became available.
Have never bothered with since.

Did give some thought about it, regarding Sensus Connect, but am now convinced that I should be able to do all that is required with desktop/here.com and a mobile phone.
I can see the Android/iPhone app being handy, if as mentioned, one is prone to leaving the car unlocked.

One other point, when I had VOC, the staff at the other end, were not Volvo trained, they were a call service who were there to pass messages on.
They could tell where you we're, how much fuel you had, if doors and windows were closed and the ambient temperature and that was about all.

Footnote:- Around the time that I had VOC, it was stated that all European car manufacturers would be fitting a similar system, as standard, but this has never happened.

tem.

acb5 May 2nd, 2014 19:57

I have VOC and although I have not used the call feature and hope I don't have to it is nice to know it is there especially when the wife goes out on her own. I have the PHEV so use it constantly for pre conditioning the car. The app also allows you to track your mileage great for company car use and the send to car feature is really handy. The peace of mind for the tracking system is also worthwhile. If you think about it most tracking systems have an annual fee so no difference but with added benefits. I would definitely have it again.