Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Polestar on XC70 D4 Manual (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294305)

SignumGB Apr 30th, 2019 00:08

Polestar on XC70 D4 Manual

So I think I have decided to take the plunge and go for a Polestar 'Optimisation'. Never bothered on my previous D3 (quite right too as it got pranged), but with a D4 and after scouring the forum, it seems that it is worth it, plus my car has the volvo selekt warranty, so any tune up/remap by Volvo would keep this warranty valid. How it affects my insurance is minimal when I called so an added bonus. Once the upgrade is done I'll report back on what I found to be different. Early birthday present to myself! Then I'll eat spam for the rest of the month! :shocked:

On another note, I have seen the new Polestar badge, white!! God knows why they changed it from the blue! The new white one looks awful but each to their own. I think it would look odd on an older Volvo compared to the traditional blue.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zYcAA...ISx/s-l300.png

green van man Apr 30th, 2019 06:52

I did not fit the badge, it's in the box in a draw at home. The boy racers see a drive e and a grandad, then wonder how they left them for dead.

On my D5 it was chalk and cheese. The turbo lag on take off disappeared and mid range improvements make safe overtakes on A and B roads locally much safer. Mine being manual it made no difference to the gearbox , it just made a good car so much better. The extra torque is much appreciated when towing.

Paul.

SignumGB Apr 30th, 2019 09:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2517012)
I did not fit the badge, it's in the box in a draw at home. The boy racers see a drive e and a grandad, then wonder how they left them for dead.

On my D5 it was chalk and cheese. The turbo lag on take off disappeared and mid range improvements make safe overtakes on A and B roads locally much safer. Mine being manual it made no difference to the gearbox , it just made a good car so much better. The extra torque is much appreciated when towing.

Paul.

We are actually looking at getting a caravan one day as child no.2 is on the way and have great memories of caravan holidays when a kid in the 80's and early 90's. Soif Polestar improves pulling performance then ideal! Maybe another sell point to Mrs Sig! Told her the cost of Polestar, raised an eyebrow....

mhon72 Apr 30th, 2019 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignumGB (Post 2517005)
On another note, I have seen the new Polestar badge, white!! God knows why they changed it from the blue! The new white one looks awful but each to their own. I think it would look odd on an older Volvo compared to the traditional blue.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zYcAA...ISx/s-l300.png

It's the new corporate colour for Polestar and I agree, I prefer the cyan blue.

Let us know how you get on with the D4 Optimisation. I've got a 2015 D4 AWD Geartronic that I'm looking to have done when it goes in for its service soon.

green van man Apr 30th, 2019 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignumGB (Post 2517035)
We are actually looking at getting a caravan one day as child no.2 is on the way and have great memories of caravan holidays when a kid in the 80's and early 90's. Soif Polestar improves pulling performance then ideal! Maybe another sell point to Mrs Sig! Told her the cost of Polestar, raised an eyebrow....

Think the retail cost when I had it was £850, local dealer was running a promotion and it was discounted to £650. Dealer knew I was thinking of it and one day the phone rang, volvo were running a competition amongst the dealers and the one whom sold most polestar upgrades got to spend time in Sweden with the race team, if I had it done by the Friday a very special price of £560 was available. How long will it take to install I asked, 10 minuits the reply. 30 minuits later I was £560 poorer but the smile factor made it worth every penny.

Look for promotions and ask what price THEY will do it for YOU and don't restrict yourself to one dealer. I fell lucky but even £200 is a lot of diesel to enable traveling to a dealer who will cut you a deal. If you don't ask you will never get. I get discount on parts because they know about FRF and the forum discount and that I will buy from Swansea unless they get very close to FRF price, if it's still too high they know I will go quality factor parts, brake disks being an example. I asked dealer and his best price was twice factor mintex price, car runs mintex disks.

Paul.

SignumGB Apr 30th, 2019 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2517116)
Think the retail cost when I had it was £850, local dealer was running a promotion and it was discounted to £650. Dealer knew I was thinking of it and one day the phone rang, volvo were running a competition amongst the dealers and the one whom sold most polestar upgrades got to spend time in Sweden with the race team, if I had it done by the Friday a very special price of £560 was available. How long will it take to install I asked, 10 minuits the reply. 30 minuits later I was £560 poorer but the smile factor made it worth every penny.

Look for promotions and ask what price THEY will do it for YOU and don't restrict yourself to one dealer. I fell lucky but even £200 is a lot of diesel to enable traveling to a dealer who will cut you a deal. If you don't ask you will never get. I get discount on parts because they know about FRF and the forum discount and that I will buy from Swansea unless they get very close to FRF price, if it's still too high they know I will go quality factor parts, brake disks being an example. I asked dealer and his best price was twice factor mintex price, car runs mintex disks.

Paul.

Been offered a price of £745 at the moment. Still to call a couple of other dealers and see what they offer.

exseesixoh May 1st, 2019 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignumGB (Post 2517201)
Been offered a price of £745 at the moment. Still to call a couple of other dealers and see what they offer.

Have you tried Clelands of Galashiels?

SignumGB May 1st, 2019 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by exseesixoh (Post 2517431)
Have you tried Clelands of Galashiels?

I haven't no, but thanks for the heads up. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say. If they come back with a lower price, then perhaps I could try and get first dealer to price match.

apersson850 May 2nd, 2019 13:09

I have the D5 Polestar (230 hp/470 Nm) with automatic gearbox. I too find it making the car a better towing partner. It's generally more agile than the original 215 hp/440 Nm, even if there's not much difference in the numbers.

The missus started squeeling at about 215 km/h, so I haven't found out the top speed. Yet.

If there's any differenct, fuel consumption during cautious driving around 80-90 km/h is a tad lower than original.

green van man May 2nd, 2019 18:41

Yes I have heard that polestar can improve fuel consumption, however I find the smile factor wins out every time so not in my case . Am happy enough with its fuel consumption being a big car that's not particularly aerodynamic, and it's certainly better than the landrover, the best I have ever seen out of that is 35mpg running solo, towing I shudder to think.

Paul.