Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   volvo xc90 2012 towing electrics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=272541)

davevennard Sep 9th, 2017 15:57

volvo xc90 2012 towing electrics

hi there

I was checking the tow bar electrics today with an MOT test stations tester and it was showing a perm live on the left and right indicators, but when I activated the indicators the lights would flash brighter on the tester is this a normal thing on a 13 pin plug as I'm new to these plugs , it is a genuine factory fitted harness on a 2012 xc90 7 seater .im just not sure what to do to any help would be magic as im confused.com

Clan Sep 9th, 2017 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by davevennard (Post 2316683)
hi there

I was checking the tow bar electrics today with an MOT test stations tester and it was showing a perm live on the left and right indicators, but when I activated the indicators the lights would flash brighter on the tester is this a normal thing on a 13 pin plug as I'm new to these plugs , it is a genuine factory fitted harness on a 2012 xc90 7 seater .im just not sure what to do to any help would be magic as im confused.com

The tow bar and electrics were never a factory fitted item .. what have you got regarding electrics ?

davevennard Sep 9th, 2017 19:34

its a detachable towbar with wiring harness Volvo branding on it goes to an ecu im the boot on the left hand side next to the fuse box

Clan Sep 9th, 2017 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by davevennard (Post 2316757)
its a detachable towbar with wiring harness Volvo branding on it goes to an ecu im the boot on the left hand side next to the fuse box

It does sound good as in being genuine volvo .
Is the tester you used a LED ? You need to put a proper 21w load on the pin and earth . Also on later models you need 2 circuits loaded at the same time to simulate the working conditions . Use 21w bulbs to test the indicators , for stop light pins use 2 x 21w bulbs connected together to test the stop lights .
use a 5w bulb on each tail light pin to check those .

Regarding being a 13 pin it makes no difference to the vehicle lighting , just that you have provision for extra items which are handy .

Tannaton Sep 10th, 2017 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2316737)
The tow bar and electrics were never a factory fitted item .. what have you got regarding electrics ?

I think he meant factory option ordered on a new car.... which usually means a kit fitted at the supplying dealer I suspect?

Clan Sep 10th, 2017 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2316853)
I think he meant factory option ordered on a new car.... which usually means a kit fitted at the supplying dealer I suspect?

Yes , all towbars for new cars were fitted by the supplying dealer ,