Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   V90 vs S90 suspension (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286571)

deanphoto Sep 18th, 2018 20:34

V90 vs S90 suspension

Evening all,

New owner of V90 R-Design here. Is there a difference of damper tunes/spring stiffness between the S90 & V90 R-Designs on the standard passive suspension? I test drove a 5000ml old S90 which the dealer advised had the same suspension however, my new V90 feels so much stiffer. It's so stiff I can't actually use it for the purpose that I bought it for.

Any ideas?

MCV60 Sep 18th, 2018 20:43

Wheel size the same?

deanphoto Sep 18th, 2018 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCV60 (Post 2448940)
Wheel size the same?

Yes, both running the standard 18" wheels.

Berkshirebob Sep 18th, 2018 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanphoto (Post 2448932)
Evening all,

New owner of V90 R-Design here. Is there a difference of damper tunes/spring stiffness between the S90 & V90 R-Designs on the standard passive suspension? I test drove a 5000ml old S90 which the dealer advised had the same suspension however, my new V90 feels so much stiffer. It's so stiff I can't actually use it for the purpose that I bought it for.

Any ideas?

Watching with interest (and fear) just ordered a V90 R Design..

T4ylor Sep 18th, 2018 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkshirebob (Post 2448990)

I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. I collected mine Friday and have already done over 1000 miles with another 430 miles trip tomorrow and I have no issues with the suspension and ride quality and mines sitting on 20’s.

simonjedrake Sep 19th, 2018 00:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanphoto (Post 2448980)
Yes, both running the standard 18" wheels.

Try the tyre pressures, maybe there are on the high “eco” setting?
Lower them to the lowest recommended setting and see if there is a marked difference.....!

Quacker Sep 19th, 2018 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanphoto (Post 2448932)
Evening all,

Any ideas?

If it is THAT stiff, get the dealer to check whether they have removed the delivery packing that stops cars bouncing around on transport factory delivery trucks. If there is literally no suspension movement, it is dangerous and should be limited to 25mph maximum speed.

If that is as it should be, get them to check that the correct springs have been factory fitted. I suspect that there are many potential springs to choose from, depending on the intended model.

deanphoto Sep 19th, 2018 07:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonjedrake (Post 2449016)
Try the tyre pressures, maybe there are on the high “eco” setting?
Lower them to the lowest recommended setting and see if there is a marked difference.....!

I have checked this (as per my original post). The car was supplied with 40psi per corner, rather than the standard 33. It made a difference, for sure, but it's still incredibly stiff.

deanphoto Sep 19th, 2018 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2449025)
If it is THAT stiff, get the dealer to check whether they have removed the delivery packing that stops cars bouncing around on transport factory delivery trucks. If there is literally no suspension movement, it is dangerous and should be limited to 25mph maximum speed.

If that is as it should be, get them to check that the correct springs have been factory fitted. I suspect that there are many potential springs to choose from, depending on the intended model.

I'm fairly certain that the delivery spring spacers (or whatever they're called) have been removed as I can't see anything obstructing the springs. The salesman is going to speak to the service techs tomorrow to see if they suggest anything. If everything is as it should be then I fear I might have to return the car and order either an R-Design on air or an Inscription.

deanphoto Sep 19th, 2018 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkshirebob (Post 2448990)

As per below it will depend on your expectations. To me it feels like Volvo has chosen to use Audi's previous 'tuning' route with their S-Line models and just dropped the ride height and placed firmers springs on the car, without thinking about the ride quality. Sure, it helps maintain body-roll but at what cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by T4ylor (Post 2448998)
I suppose it depends on what your expectations are. I collected mine Friday and have already done over 1000 miles with another 430 miles trip tomorrow and I have no issues with the suspension and ride quality and mines sitting on 20’s.

It's exactly this. I need a supple ride as I use the boot-space to photograph from, towards other cars (I'm a car photographer). I'm not expecting Range Rover levels of refinement but both the primary and secondary damping is incredibly firm. Far firmer than an RS6..!