Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Volvo V40 D2 1.6 2014 issue with engine cooling system (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276817)

MrRobot Jan 8th, 2018 21:42

Volvo V40 D2 1.6 2014 issue with engine cooling system

Ok long story

Had car since it was 6 months old

About 2 years back I started getting coolant low warnings so just topped off as required.

About 4 weeks back I got a engine high temp warning

Took to garage (non dealer) a friend of mone who looks after my cars, He found a leak on the water pump and a small spec of metal in the pump. he found it had been leaking at the pump and replaced the pump and gasket.

Took car home used it a bit and it started doing the same again. But now the heating in the cab was also cold. Also noticed pressure in the coolant system which hadnt been noticed before.

Garage did some checks to see if head was leaking etc and are confident if it is very small as no gasses found or traces in the water.
They found some restirction in the radiator so that was replaced too but still no luck and after using it for 24 hours i had the overheating warning again.

This time they tested it and tested it and replaced the thermostat I got the ar back and have used it for about 80 miles and tonight its given me the overheating warning and seems to have let some pressure go and blown off a bit of water. The thing is the watter in the bottle isnt hot so this is just pressure. Also one thing to note is when they removed one of the pipes that sends water to the stat the system didnt drain off as he expected it would do but it did when he removed other pipes.

We bought a vac to vac out the cooling system as someone at the volvo dealership advised that was what they did on v40s.

I need to point out the car performs as well as ever I havent noticed any loss in power etc.

I also note that tonugh the pipes on the back of the engine wre cod again hence no heat in the cab again. but I did get heat at the start of the journey and then passenger side lost it then driver side. this is probably now air in the system.

I am just after some advice now on where we can head next, We are convinced its not the head and the pressure issue has probably been there a while (hence the leak by the pump was probably letting the pressure go). My Mechanic is now wondering if the EGR cooler maybe faulty so we may get a secondhand one and try that.

Anyone got any ideas or spot something we have missed.

kid n london Jan 9th, 2018 21:20

Similar problem on my V4 D2 1.6 2014

Last summer I had my first incident when I ended up with a coolant warning and an empty tank, later it happened more often I had to top up several times. I've been trying to figure out what was wrong. If it was the pipes or if the tank was leaking.

For a few weeks I had no problems but then again I ended up with an almost empty tank. I filled up and drove for about another month and then it happen again, I got the error/warning for engine fault and had to turn the engine off. Again the coolant was empty and I had to fill up. It was fine for a while and I had my car in for service end of 2017. The Volvo garage found coolant leaked over big parts of the area around the pips connecting to the coolant pump. They said it must be the pipes and maybe the pump and that it can cost about £1000 for the hours/work to change it.

It is not OK to have such a problem on a car that is only a few years old. I don't care if the warranty has expired, it is unacceptable that the parts can't be of better quality, its a 4 year old car. The Volvo garage have in agreement with me put a sealer into the system to slow to leak. I will contact Volvo national office and complain. We should not have to put up with this.

(I am using the green recommended cooler so it should hot had a negative impact on the system)

My problem might not... or maybe it will be as big as yours. I don't know yet. I haven't even got started!
What you've been going through is mad. Changed so many parts and still not have a resolution.
I will follow this thread to see if any other had any similar problem. And I'll share what I might find or what will be done on my car.
Have you been in contact with Volvo national?
Wish I had ideas to be of help.

MrRobot Jan 10th, 2018 16:57

Sadly cannot afford to go to Volvo just yet. I think my issue was two things. If I figure it out I will let you know.

Rooster Jan 11th, 2018 22:25

Might find this thread useful,

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276229

volvo for ever Jan 12th, 2018 20:48

bad for head gaskets too

GrahamBrown1 Jan 12th, 2018 21:54

Quality PSA strikes again, how can anyone say there any good! Absolute toilet material

MrRobot Jan 16th, 2018 10:06

Thanks for your help guys I have tried everything now so I think the block is cracked or the head has gone. Darn it.

My Car is a Nov 2013 does that car have the same engine as the ones mentioned in the thread as in ciriticaly damaged and block cracks?

So annoying that it builds this pressure up as other than this it behaves normaly when driving.

tomweston Jan 16th, 2018 12:21

Surely if the block has cracked and it is a known issue then the engine is not fit for purpose and VOLVO should replace it. An engine should last more than 3 or 4 years in this day and age.

H20 VOLVO Jan 24th, 2018 11:32

To confirm, the engine was losing coolant when still under warranty - did you take it in to Volvo then, or just keep topping up?

MrRobot Jan 29th, 2018 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by H20 VOLVO (Post 2361315)
To confirm, the engine was losing coolant when still under warranty - did you take it in to Volvo then, or just keep topping up?

I think the first time it reported coolant low i was in France topped off (only a little bit) and all was well for quite some time. Then it was out of warrenty before it did it again.

as it was just a small amount every now and then I knew it couldnt be anything big and as it turned out it wasnt it was a smal leak on the pump.