Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   5 cyl aux belt clarification (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304772)

Lincolnite Mar 24th, 2020 09:29

5 cyl aux belt clarification

Ok, so the car’s an XC60 D4 AWD Se Lux - 2017 model, registered in June 2017 - so one of the last of the old shape, with the 2.4 5cyl engine.

I’ve just booked it in for its 3 year service at the end of June, yes all booked in nice & early.

The car currently has 34k on the clock.

Apart from the service they will do a brake fluid change. They also suggested that the aux belt would need doing, so I’ve agreed to this also, but it’s got me thinking. Isn’t it due at 54k? My car will probably have about 36k on the clock come service date - so isn’t changing the belt a bit early? The 4th service (June 2021) will probably see less than 50k on the clock.

I know it’s important that the belt is changed - but isn’t the suggestion a bit too soon? If my mileage suddenly increases and the 54k looks in risk of being reached early then I’ll just book it in early for that to be done as a stand-alone task.

Hope all that makes sense. Comments welcomed.

Thanks - Rob

dhr90 Mar 24th, 2020 10:30

For the 5 cylinder 2.4 the Aux belt service is at 5 years or 54,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Your dealer is being very eager to change the belt and charge you for it when it’s unnecessary right now.

Clan Mar 24th, 2020 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhr90 (Post 2612364)
For the 5 cylinder 2.4 the Aux belt service is at 5 years or 54,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Your dealer is being very eager to change the belt and charge you for it when it’s unnecessary right now.

Actually the belt change time interval for the Aux belt is 10 years like the cam belt . What is critical with this belt is the MILEAGE ie 54000 miles , and of course , the garage is out to make £100 extra in this case .

Kev0607 Mar 24th, 2020 19:17

Its early to change your aux belt now, but its due either when the car is five years old or when it has 54,000 on it (Whichever comes first).

Normally, the aux belt tensioner isn't replaced until the 108k or 10 year cam belt service (Aux belt is also replaced on this service). Personally, I'd replace the tensioner on each aux belt change every five years or 54k. Its a £60 part approx & you have to release the tension to undo the belt anyway. Personally, it makes sense to change the tensioner too whilst you're in that area, as its a known part to fail. £60 every five years or 54k isn't exactly expensive either, so its worth the peace of mind knowing its done. Some may say its going over the top, but a £60 part is much cheaper than a new engine or cylinder head.

If you decide to do the work yourself, use genuine Volvo parts.

volvo for ever Mar 24th, 2020 20:13

Aux belt on 5 cylinder is 54k /3rd year service
My advice would be to have it done but entirely up to you

Regards..

Clan Mar 24th, 2020 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2612637)
Its early to change your aux belt now, but its due either when the car is five years old or when it has 54,000 on it (Whichever comes first).

Normally, the aux belt tensioner isn't replaced until the 108k or 10 year cam belt service (Aux belt is also replaced on this service). Personally, I'd replace the tensioner on each aux belt change every five years or 54k. Its a £60 part approx & you have to release the tension to undo the belt anyway. Personally, it makes sense to change the tensioner too whilst you're in that area, as its a known part to fail. £60 every five years or 54k isn't exactly expensive either, so its worth the peace of mind knowing its done. Some may say its going over the top, but a £60 part is much cheaper than a new engine or cylinder head.

If you decide to do the work yourself, use genuine Volvo parts.

54000 MILES or ten years that's the official Volvo interval ,
and not on the 3rd year service if it hasn't done the miles .

The tensioner was failing on some cars around 70,000 miles due to the belt flapping and wearing it out prematurely , This was caused by the belt being strained when the engine initially starts up , the sudden shock and massive acceleration when the first cylinder fired ( as is the case in diesels ! ). The tensioner now leads an easier life due to having a fully intact belt all the time due to the more frequent belt changed stipulated so tensioner failure is no longer a problem ..

Zebster Mar 24th, 2020 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2612734)
54000 MILES or ten years that's the official Volvo interval ,
and not on the 3rd year service if it hasn't done the miles ...

But service number 3 (normally at 3 years) is when Volvo also estimate that the car will have covered 54k miles.

It's the same logical conundrum as the VEA cambelt 'needing' to be done at service number 5 (so normally 5 years) as that's when Volvo think that 90k miles will have been covered!

Clan Mar 24th, 2020 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2612737)
But service number 3 (normally at 3 years) is when Volvo also estimate that the car will have covered 54k miles.

It's the same logical conundrum as the VEA cambelt 'needing' to be done at service number 5 (so normally 5 years) as that's when Volvo think that 90k miles will have been covered!

That used to be the case up until the new service regime came in about 5 years ago . The service now Should be tailored to suit your particular conditions , for example if the car is 5 years old and you have only done 36000 miles you should not have the cambelt or the aux belt changed . It is an option in vida to strike it off the preset list of items for a 90000 mile service if not required . Vida has moved on hugely since the DVD copies we tend to use here . It now handles the service systems , on-call , wireless communication etc too .

PJordan Mar 25th, 2020 09:40

I just had my 3rd service at 32,000 miles from the Volvo dealer here and the aux belt was replaced at this service.

I checked with Volvo UK and yes they now say it has to be changed at 3rd year service or 54,000 miles whichever comes first on the 2017 XC60 D5. This change in rule may of course only apply to this specific model/engine but Volvo themselves (not just the dealer) have changed their instruction for this

It is not an expensive part so I am happy!

jasmith44 Mar 25th, 2020 10:47

So working on the above service schedules you will have a service including aux belt at 3 years then 5 years and so on and on.The dealers are certainly getting their money off you.