Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Replacing a tyre when driving in Europe (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339085)

Sotosound Mar 30th, 2024 16:43

Replacing a tyre when driving in Europe

My wife and I are planning to drive to Italy next year, and we'll cross France and a bit of Switzerland on the way. We're both looking forward to it, but a question popped up in my head today, which is about what to do if we have a puncture wherein the tyre isn't repairable while we're on the continent.

My concern is that all UK tyre sizes are based around tread widths in mm but rim diameters in inches, e.g. 185/70 R14.

Thinking on, however, do car manufacturers actually make different wheels sizes for imperial and metric markets?

I have no answers, and neither does Google unless I'm simply asking the wrong questions.

Has anyone on this forum got any useful information, experiences or advice to share on this topic?

Many thanks in advance.

BorderVolvo Mar 30th, 2024 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotosound (Post 2943088)
Has anyone on this forum got any useful information, experiences or advice to share on this topic?

Yes, take a spare.

Dancake Mar 30th, 2024 17:11

Take a spare. I got a puncture on a hire vehicle in Slovenia and there was a 3 day wait for a replacement tyre costing £400 because it had to come from Italy. That was a number of years ago. Tyre sizes should be the same globally regardless of whether the country uses metric or imperial measurements, so if you have a 205 55 R16 for example, there will be an imperial measurement that's the exact equivalent of this.

GMcL Mar 30th, 2024 19:38

All European cars share a common type approval and tyre sizes. Unless you drive a BMW 635i with TRX tyres or an old Metro which used metric sizes for whatever reason.

Also, join a breakdown recovery service. Either a UK based one with EU cover or ADAC for example

buick boy Mar 30th, 2024 22:33

Don't forget ;Reflective jackets , UK sticker (not GB) , A Warning triangle , an emissions certificate (many large towns in France require this) , insurance certificate , driving licence , Beam deflectors . Any of these carry a 135euro fine for non compliance , so be warned . There may be other mandatory things you need , so I would check it out before you go .

GMcL Mar 30th, 2024 22:39

You'll also need a vignette for driving on the motorway in Switzerland, either a windscreen sticker or an e-vignette. Costs 44€ or about GBP38. You can only buy a years vignette valid until end of January 2025.

https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg/en/ho...gebuehren.html

You can also buy them at the border or at petrol stations on approach to the Swiss border.

Forg Mar 31st, 2024 08:18

Even in Europe it's difficult while driving.

I would recommend stopping first.

Whippy Mar 31st, 2024 08:38

Plus, if planning on entering Paris (And or other towns and cities) you meet a Crit'Air vignette. Very cheap and available online.

Sotosound Mar 31st, 2024 10:56

Many thanks for all of the replies.

So.... loads of administrative hoops to jump through, legalised bribes to pay, and badges to wear.

Sheesh! Still, once that's done we should be ok.

Is there an online source that anyone is aware of that facilitates conversion of UK tyre spec to equivalent European tyre spec? That's the one thing that, to my mind, will be the biggest challenge.

S60inFrance Mar 31st, 2024 11:08

I live in France and tyre sizes here are the same as the UK, I would imagine all of Europe is the same? One thing to note however, if you have a puncture that necessitates a new tyre, you would have to have 2,in France at least. They are not allowed to replace a single tyre so it's always a pair. Their attitude to tyres here is much better than the UK, even the crappiest old wrecks have got a set of Michelin fitted, no budget tyres!