Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Distributor condensation (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281355)

Joe Harding May 2nd, 2018 18:45

Distributor condensation

1.4 engine. Periodically, usually after or during rain the car will conk out with loads of water inside the distributor cap. Anyone else get this? Is there a fix?

dingov70 May 2nd, 2018 20:02

Think it's the renault engine & a simple fix is .................................

Remove dizzy cap , dry out & smear mating face of cap with plumbers silicine grease , making a bead of grease like you would with silicone sealant .

Re fit & grease seals any gaps that would let in water . You can also run a smear any wires entering the dizzy .

I have also used silicone grease to great effect on my old v8 Land Rover Dizzy when wading ( water up the windscreen & buttocks very damp ) No water ingress & happy plunging around in pools

Laird Scooby May 2nd, 2018 22:19

Those Renault engines are known for that sadly, the answer is as described above and some people have fabricated an "umbrella" to cover the dizzy (sheet of aluminium or similar above it to protect the dizzy from water) although there were varying reports on how effective that was.

Good luck sorting it out! ;) :D

Clan May 2nd, 2018 23:07

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Harding (Post 2399435)
1.4 engine. Periodically, usually after or during rain the car will conk out with loads of water inside the distributor cap. Anyone else get this? Is there a fix?

Assuming yours is 1984 or later , have you got the anti-condensation plastic plate clipped between distributor body and cap ? Rain or fog was never a problem when the car left the factory with the correct parts on . You do not need to do anything else to get it reliable in damp conditions .I guess you might not have the best quality cap on either . Is the inside clean and shiny , ie Lacquered ?

Number 5 on the picture 3277575

Joe Harding May 3rd, 2018 20:55

Yes, that plastic thingy was in place. It's not in excellent condition but the RAC man who came out to help my wife when the car broke down in the rain said that he could have poured water out of the distributor. Clearly more than a little moisture.

Clan May 3rd, 2018 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Harding (Post 2399814)
Yes, that plastic thingy was in place. It's not in excellent condition but the RAC man who came out to help my wife when the car broke down in the rain said that he could have poured water out of the distributor. Clearly more than a little moisture.

condensation is like a light mist in the cap but lots of water is something else .. Do you go through any deep puddles ? Can't say I have seen this before , I worked on 300's from day one until they faded way from popularity around 20 years ago . Still own 2 !

TonyS9 May 4th, 2018 10:58

Yep +1, never had a problem with rain on any 300, and I've had pretty most years and models.

You have a fault somewhere, missing engine splash guard? Leaky bonnet? Missing internal moisture cover?

I used to get it after jet washing the engine. Check deep inside the disti for a pool of water. Although water must be getting in somehow.

Laird Scooby May 4th, 2018 11:19

Blown head gasket? Loose wet liner? Water in the oil?

360beast May 4th, 2018 17:15

I believe the common fix is a plastic bag over the distributor :D

340man Aug 22nd, 2018 10:05

My friend had similar on his 340, a clean of the cap and a light spray of WD40 inside the cap worked.