Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 General : VIDA DICE - Trip Computer (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286529)

Ghost83 Sep 17th, 2018 16:58

VIDA DICE - Trip Computer

Hey guys,
Has anyone installed a trip computer in a V50?
What do you think if I buy a VIDA DICE (sold here on the forum), will I be able to put the trip computer back into my V50, 2008 model?
I have the button and the stalk, but somehow I cannot find my trip computer.
Or Is there any trick to put it back/activate or it has to be a software update done by a main dealer??
Cheers, Greg

phutyle Sep 17th, 2018 17:18

The cracked Vida we all use can't do it. You have to get it installed by a dealer/indie with legit access to Volvo's software. I think it's couple of hundred quid.

Ghost83 Sep 17th, 2018 17:47

Thanks #phutyle, what a pity!

Do you know if it is a stand alone option or maybe it comes with a full software update? Cos I might be willing to fork out that £££ if a whole new system will be installed!

moorgate Sep 17th, 2018 20:57

Torque for both Apple and Android phones & tablets will do this. You get an ELM327 bluetooth dongle off ebay for less than a fiver, then you download Torque from the app store. The software has about half a dozen virtual dashboards; you put a mix of sensor reads on the dashboard, be that load or temperature or mpg or whatever, and it displays constantly as you drive along.

LizardOfBodom Sep 18th, 2018 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2448555)
Thanks #phutyle, what a pity!

Do you know if it is a stand alone option or maybe it comes with a full software update? Cos I might be willing to fork out that £££ if a whole new system will be installed!

IIRC there was a standalone package for this, it was part of "driver customisation package" or something like this. I may be wrong, but software itself was cheap enough (like 30quid or something) but cost of dealership time was 2x that.
No harm calling your local dealer and inquiry.

barrybritcher Sep 18th, 2018 01:22

get a scangauge ii

Ghost83 Sep 18th, 2018 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorgate (Post 2448611)
Torque for both Apple and Android phones & tablets will do this. You get an ELM327 bluetooth dongle off ebay for less than a fiver, then you download Torque from the app store.

You’re a star! Thanks,
Greg

Ghost83 Sep 23rd, 2018 15:20

Well, I’ve bought one!
Just wondering if anybody had a problem with this code scanner. I just purchased mine couple of days ago off eBay. I’ve plugged it in and hell break lose. My dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. I got back ABS sensor faulty msg, brake issues, srs airbag faulty msg, my windscreen wiper started to operate without being able to stop it.
On top of these I got a msg that my immobiliser has an issue so I had to take the key out, lock the car and unlock it. And only after about a minute I was able to start the car. Until then, it did not start, did not even turned.
The OBD scanner itself was EXTREMELY HARD to push it on the port. Did not even force it. I was worried I might break that thing off.

Can anyone help me with this?
Maybe I purchased a wrong scanner? Or my car does not have odb2?

Ghost83 Sep 23rd, 2018 15:23

# moorgate

Just saw that you are ec2 London. By any chance have you ever done a timing belt chain on your car? Because I am toying with the idea to do, but I have not done this before and I would like to buddy up with someone who has. Let me know if you are up for meeting. I live between Canada water and Cutty Sark, SE8.

Cheers, Greg

barrybritcher Sep 23rd, 2018 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigrincs (Post 2450434)
Well, I’ve bought one!
Just wondering if anybody had a problem with this code scanner. I just purchased mine couple of days ago off eBay. I’ve plugged it in and hell break lose. My dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. I got back ABS sensor faulty msg, brake issues, srs airbag faulty msg, my windscreen wiper started to operate without being able to stop it.
On top of these I got a msg that my immobiliser has an issue so I had to take the key out, lock the car and unlock it. And only after about a minute I was able to start the car. Until then, it did not start, did not even turned.
The OBD scanner itself was EXTREMELY HARD to push it on the port. Did not even force it. I was worried I might break that thing off.

Can anyone help me with this?
Maybe I purchased a wrong scanner? Or my car does not have odb2?

You spent too long in pos II and drained the battery. Charge it.