Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Car's first service (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273756)

Lexman8 Oct 12th, 2017 19:55

Car's first service

Car was in today for its 12-month service plus 2 or 3 recalls and other stuff:
  • replaced EGR bracket
  • replaced PowerPulse hose
  • replaced rear (exploding) seatbelt
  • recalibrated BLIS to fix lack of warnings on n/s
  • updated VDDM (Vehicle Dynamics Domain Master)
  • updated to Sensus 2.0
  • checked water-in-doors issue
All seems good apart from the water in all the doors problem. Apparently it's a known issue (there's a 10-page TJ for it!) and the car will have to go back in for 2 days next week to fix it.

The new-look Sensus appears to be an improvement although I only looked at it briefly on the journey home. One thing I did notice is that the Close button has been removed from the 360 camera view. Seems a strange omission. Others have commented that they lost some or all their personal settings after the 2.0 update but all mine seem to be as before except that TA was enabled, something I always have switched off as I find the constant interrupts annoying.

tem Oct 12th, 2017 20:06

Your Sensus 2 update?
Does this now give you what some called, away back, the Pilots Check list?
I understood this had been withdrawn, because of problems.

tem.

Milliner Oct 12th, 2017 21:48

Mine too coincidently. Looks like you had a few more issues than me.

However, mines going back in for new modified rear disks. It’s a solution to the creaky auto handbrake issue I had.

No Sensus 2 though, as I discovered after I got back in it. Its been twice now in recent weeks and both times I’ve dropped polite hints about it (not wanting to tell the guy his job). He seems reluctanct to acknowledge it which must mean a) its a bit ropey still, b) they can’t be a***d or, c) if the current one I have it ain’t broke.....

tem Oct 12th, 2017 22:16

When I got the May update done in the middle of June, I asked about the Sensus 2 update.
The Service Manager told me, that this update had been withdrawn, because of problems with matching the grafics to the MY18 cars.

I now wonder if they have solved the problem, as Lexman8 has just stated that his MY17 has been updated?
I had my first service carried out on the 3rd October and was not updated to Sensus 2.

tem.

Ctpurley Oct 12th, 2017 23:12

Hi,

Did it screw up your CarPlay by any chance? Had the same 1 year service and sensus upgrade this week and mine no longer works now.

KNVXC90 Oct 12th, 2017 23:24

What is the "Water-in-doors issue" issue? Not heard of it.

Milliner Oct 12th, 2017 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by tem (Post 2326905)
When I got the May update done in the middle of June, I asked about the Sensus 2 update.
The Service Manager told me, that this update had been withdrawn, because of problems with matching the grafics to the MY18 cars.

I now wonder if they have solved the problem, as Lexman8 has just stated that his MY17 has been updated?
I had my first service carried out on the 3rd October and was not updated to Sensus 2.

tem.

Seems very hit and miss and a bit of a farce really. I guess they’re banking on the fact that most people don’t know or don’t care about the updated software.

familymangreg Oct 13th, 2017 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milliner (Post 2326942)
Seems very hit and miss and a bit of a farce really. I guess they’re banking on the fact that most people don’t know or don’t care about the updated software.

So my car went in for an insurance repair (will update cracked panoramic roof thread shortly) last Friday. The service department told me that while the car was in they were also going to do a couple of recall jobs, namely the EGR and PowerPulse hose. I questioned them on a software update and they assured me that they always update car software as a matter of course whenever they see a vehicle in the workshop. Great I thought, so I won't labour the point about wanting the latest version of Sensus like I had planned to.

To my surprise, when the car was returned the new Sensus interface was not present. I emailed my contact in the service team who responded to say he couldn't see any outstanding software on the car and that it had a total upgrade when it was in. I pressed the point (including a link to the new Sensus software announcement on the Volvo support site) and the issue was raised with the master tech. They came back a day or two later to let me know a 72 min (whatever that means, takes 72 minutes??!) upgrade was available for the car and we could make arrangements to drop the car in for the update.

So my guess is that a standard software update procedure patches existing modules within the cars current major software version. And a different (non essential) procedure is required to upgrade to a newer Sensus version.

:wq

familymangreg Oct 13th, 2017 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2326851)
  • replaced EGR bracket
  • replaced PowerPulse hose

Lexman, have you noticed any 'hissing' under moderate or hard acceleration since these jobs? I had both done last Friday, and a day or two back while driving in the car with media off, both my wife and I independently picked up on a slight hiss or swish sound for a second or two when accelerating. The sound appears to be coming from further back than the engine compartment, sort of in the transmission tunnel area. I'm wondering if its something to do with the EGR bracket replacement.

I've had the PP pipe replaced previously after noticing I could here the pump when the car was started at idle and a hissing sound from the engine compartment after the engine stopped, so not so sure why they did this recall. Perhaps its a replacement part now rather than an repair or replacement of the same part previously. Anyway, having experienced PP pipe issues, this hissing doesn't seem to come from the same area or exude quite the same symptoms, hence me wondering if its to do with the EGR bracket.

Lexman8 Oct 13th, 2017 09:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by tem (Post 2326858)
Your Sensus 2 update?
Does this now give you what some called, away back, the Pilots Check list?
I understood this had been withdrawn, because of problems.

There's no Pilot's Check List on startup unfortunately. The dealer said the car had a major software update which included Sensus and other modules. I think the car now has Sensus 2 but minus the checklist which, as you say, appears to have been withdrawn.

On my brief use of it so far I'd say it's faster with, for example, the map on the driver's display appearing more quickly. Even Spotify seemed to load and connect a bit quicker.

There's rumour of another Sensus update soon so perhaps that'll bring the checklist back.

Lexman8 Oct 13th, 2017 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milliner (Post 2326898)
No Sensus 2 though, as I discovered after I got back in it. Its been twice now in recent weeks and both times I’ve dropped polite hints about it (not wanting to tell the guy his job). He seems reluctanct to acknowledge it which must mean a) its a bit ropey still, b) they can’t be a***d or, c) if the current one I have it ain’t broke.....

It's Volvo policy that dealers update a car to the latest s/w versions on each visit. Sounds like your dealer isn't complying.

I've heard that dealers aren't too keen on doing big updates as it can take up to 2 hours and during this time the car is occupying a service bay that can't be used for anything else. (Updates aren't done over wifi, the car has to be plugged in.)

Lexman8 Oct 13th, 2017 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tem (Post 2326905)

Does this mean you don't have the new Sensus interface? My assumption (and I could be wrong) is that Sensus 2 is being rolled out but minus the checklist.

Lexman8 Oct 13th, 2017 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ctpurley (Post 2326931)
Did it screw up your CarPlay by any chance?

Sorry, I don't have CarPlay fitted.

Lexman8 Oct 13th, 2017 09:43

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KNVXC90 (Post 2326935)
What is the "Water-in-doors issue" issue? Not heard of it.

Both my XC90s have suffered from water getting into the doors and not draining away until the door is opened. It's a poor design in that the drain holes are effectively blocked by the rubber surround to the door frame until the door opens. As some of my doors can remain shut for days at a time I don't like water sitting there; long term it can't be good. The pic shows water draining from the driver's door of my first car. The current car isn't so bad but it still happens.

It must be happening to others unless I've been really unlucky to have two cars which are both affected.
_

Lexman8 Oct 13th, 2017 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by familymangreg (Post 2326994)
I pressed the point (including a link to the new Sensus software announcement on the Volvo support site) and the issue was raised with the master tech. They came back a day or two later to let me know a 72 min (whatever that means, takes 72 minutes??!) upgrade was available for the car and we could make arrangements to drop the car in for the update.

I didn't specifically ask for the Sensus update, just assuming it would happen.

The 72 minutes may be how long Volvo specify the update to take. But I've heard it often takes longer and that's why dealers don't like doing it.

Lexman8 Oct 13th, 2017 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by familymangreg (Post 2326996)
Lexman, have you noticed any 'hissing' under moderate or hard acceleration since these jobs?

Can't say I have but I'll listen out and report back.

Quote:

I've had the PP pipe replaced previously after noticing I could here the pump when the car was started at idle and a hissing sound from the engine compartment after the engine stopped, so not so sure why they did this recall. Perhaps its a replacement part now rather than a repair or replacement of the same part previously.
The new hose is a modified design so your previous replacement may have been with the old part before the modification?
_

Lexman8 Oct 13th, 2017 09:57

Time for a coffee now after all that!

tem Oct 13th, 2017 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2327004)
Does this mean you don't have the new Sensus interface? My assumption (and I could be wrong) is that Sensus 2 is being rolled out but minus the checklist.

Not 100% sure.
I got the May update done and this was to update to the new Home Screen interface, etc.
This update was also to fix Sensus crashing.

Early September, Sensus started to crash again and when the car went in for its service on the 3rd October, it was listed as a warranty check.
On getting the car back, the service sheet states: Carried out software update for Sensus fault.

I am happy with things just now, but wondered about the ‘Pilots Check list’, when you mentioned the Sensus 2 update.

tem.

familymangreg Oct 13th, 2017 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2327017)
Can't say I have but I'll listen out and report back.
The new hose is a modified design so your previous replacement may have been with the old part before the modification?
_

That's what I'm thinking.

KNVXC90 Oct 13th, 2017 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2327012)
Both my XC90s have suffered from water getting into the doors and not draining away until the door is opened. It's a poor design in that the drain holes are effectively blocked by the rubber surround to the door frame until the door opens. As some of my doors can remain shut for days at a time I don't like water sitting there; long term it can't be good. The pic shows water draining from the driver's door of my first car. The current car isn't so bad but it still happens.

It must be happening to others unless I've been really unlucky to have two cars which are both affected.
_

Wow, that's strange...not seen that with my car.

Philip Fisher Oct 13th, 2017 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by KNVXC90 (Post 2327027)
Wow, that's strange...not seen that with my car.

Not seen it with mine, but that said I never wash it.....

jmot Oct 13th, 2017 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2327012)

_

Yep, notice it in mine every time it rains etc open doors and it piddles onto floor

neon Oct 14th, 2017 12:43

I have the new look Sensus but I am guessing that V2 is something different.

Philip Fisher Oct 14th, 2017 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by neon (Post 2327392)
I have the new look Sensus but I am guessing that V2 is something different.

I've lost track now. Went in months back and it came back with new graphics and a few other changes around the 360 camera functionality etc... I assumed this was new look Sensus. Is there something else now available?

Lexman8 Oct 14th, 2017 13:28

Afaik, the new look and altered interface that we have now is Sensus 2. This seems to be an unofficial (internet created?) name as I haven't seen any Volvo docs that call it Sensus 2. As mine was updated just a few days ago with new look, etc, I'm pretty sure that it's the same update as others have had for several months and nothing newer is available.

I think the confusion is because the 'checklist at startup' feature of this update was removed because of some issues with it and this somehow got morphed into the whole update being withdrawn. I'm 99% certain that what we have now is what's being called Sensus 2 but without the checklist feature.

neon Oct 14th, 2017 17:51

That is good as when mine was serviced recently they said all my software was up to date. Not seen any issues with it so far, seems to be working really well.

The HUD issue moving came back, but once I had set it with the driver profiles a couple of times it is now ok. It does not always take it first time and I think it is something to do with making sure the memory buttons are picked up by the profile as well.