Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Electrical No loudspeaker output. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=217889)

dalo57 Nov 13th, 2014 13:36

No loudspeaker output.

Bought 2012 V70 D5 auto ex police, and between time I first saw it and now lost output from speakers. Checked fuses, removed floating console (to move info screen back up the bump in dash) reset plug in back of radio and heating unit but still no output. Screen says speakers on. Did not remove CD player. Is loudspeaker output there? Any help would be appreciated.

dalo57 Nov 13th, 2014 13:53

Previously had an 1996 ex police 850 T5 auto and a 1997 V70 T5 Auto. The new D5 is pretty quick, don't notice huge difference. But the radio worked in them!

dalo57 Nov 14th, 2014 12:40

Got CD player out this morning, appears to be amplifier and radio. Speaker cables come out of back. Half the wires (approx) have been cut and joined to a non standard loom that goes down to the centre nick nack box. The police must have had a switch down there. Two other cables come in here from new fuse box alongside the two fuse boxes under the glove box.
I'm going to rejoin all the cables at the back of the CD and remove all the non standard wires. Also a wire from the gear selector has been cut, but can't see what it does. Think I'll get new Haynes for the wiring diagram. Need a better soldering iron too!

dalo57 Nov 27th, 2014 19:00

Success! There are 4 plugs in the back of the DC/amplifier. One plug has 8 wires coming out and I reckoned that was the loudspeaker output. (2 wires to 4 speakers). All these had been cut and wires soldered in. There were 20 wires in the new loom and 12v (red) and earth (black) had been siamesed in to give power and earth to the new loom. These was a 20 pin socket at the end. 8 in, 8 back, red and black in don't know where the other two went. Cut whole loom out and reconnected wires. Took about 2 hours to do.

Connected battery up and sound from speakers! I must have heard another car with output from radio; it was impossible for this one to work previously.

Now to remove all the other wires.

Puffster Sep 21st, 2017 11:55

Ah! I'm wondering if this will help with my issue, which is only the front passenger speaker seems to be working on my ex-police XC70...

Was it Essex police by any chance? Or do they all do this to stop plod listening to music whilst they're sitting around?

Puffster Sep 30th, 2017 21:58

Yes - wires were cut, so had to join them & now all working :)

LikesToFly Nov 14th, 2017 18:47

Even if none of the wires were cut, all UK Authorities Volvos came from the factory with audio cable disconnected.

If you want to get the Radio/CD to work, remove and take the Fibre Optic brace out of the wiring, which is directly behind the radio/CD (your right-hand side which has a black 2-pin housing with two orange wires in it). Remove the brace and then connect the male end of the connector in to the back of the radio/CD.

Newer models are not able ot have the in car entertainment disconnected as the cars warning tones are routed through this.