Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   D5 DPF Regenerations (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=326500)

RDesign4Life Jul 13th, 2022 14:01

D5 DPF Regenerations

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know at what 'g' of soot level the XC60 2.4 D5 will attempt a DPF regen cycle?

I've read that constant interruptions to a regen can dilute your oil with diesel so would like to avoid such scenarios if I can. So I have an ELM327 and the CarScanner app on my phone which gives me a few extra gauges including one that monitors DPF soot so I was hoping to see when it reaches the trigger point and try as far as I can to avoid interrupting any regen cycles once they start.

When I first added this dashboard the level was right down at 8g of soot so must have just done a recent cleaning cycle. It's now up at 15g and my guess is that around 30g may be the trigger but I just don'tr know for sure so if anyone does know I'd be very interested in finding out. Thanks in advance.

johnnyoro Jul 13th, 2022 21:01

1 Attachment(s)
Hi I find that on mine the soot level is constantly up and down it only goes to a fixed figure when regen starts.
I have setup the carscanner screen to include the " miles since last regeneration " display
When regen starts this figure goes to zero , the soot level goes to 17.02 grams and the dpf temp starts to climb , the soot grams then start to drop to zero as the regen progresses
The dpf temp will go up to 650-700deg
At zero soot the distance counter starts again , the soot levels fluctuate from 3- 7 grams and the dpf temp drops to normal temp 250- 350deg
Just as an afterthought a regen can start at anytime when you are driving , so called italian tune ups wont initiate a regen .
I had a regen start once when I had just driven into a drive through so I just kept the engine running at a fast tickover till the regen finished

RDesign4Life Jul 13th, 2022 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyoro (Post 2833921)
Hi I find that on mine the soot level is constantly up and down it only goes to a fixed figure when regen starts.
I have setup the carscanner screen to include the " miles since last regeneration " display
When regen starts this figure goes to zero , the soot level goes to 17.02 grams and the dpf temp starts to climb , the soot grams then start to drop to zero as the regen progresses
The dpf temp will go up to 650-700deg
At zero soot the distance counter starts again , the soot levels fluctuate from 3- 7 grams and the dpf temp drops to normal temp 250- 350deg
Just as an afterthought a regen can start at anytime when you are driving , so called italian tune ups wont initiate a regen .
I had a regen start once when I had just driven into a drive through so I just kept the engine running at a fast tickover till the regen finished

You got the 2.4 5 cylinder engine?

johnnyoro Jul 14th, 2022 05:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDesign4Life (Post 2833937)
You got the 2.4 5 cylinder engine?

No 2.0 vea

piotrek Jul 14th, 2022 05:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyoro (Post 2833921)

At zero soot the distance counter starts again , the soot levels fluctuate from 3- 7 grams

This is not normal. The Exhaust manifold air pressure (EMAP) in Car Scanner should always mirror the MAP pressure. If not - the exhaust pressure sensor pipe is clogged, should be cleaned or replaced. This is a frequent problem in VEA diesel engines.

johnnyoro Jul 14th, 2022 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrek (Post 2833952)
This is not normal. The Exhaust manifold air pressure (EMAP) in Car Scanner should always mirror the MAP pressure. If not - the exhaust pressure sensor pipe is clogged, should be cleaned or replaced. This is a frequent problem in VEA diesel engines.

Hi the sensor displaying soot grams is just that not emap
In carscanner it is labelled as Dpf soot ( grams)

RDesign4Life Jul 14th, 2022 18:26

1 Attachment(s)
The soot level on mine has been creeping up slowly and consistently from 8g when I started monitoring it about a week ago to about 16g today. (few commutes 25 mins 12 miles each way and a longer trip of about 40 miles).

Today I did about 25 miles and it went up by about 1g I think.

So does nobody know what the tipping point is for a regen on these?

Pandamedic Jul 14th, 2022 21:28

on my 2015 D4 2.4, 5 cylinder, when grams get to around the 23-25g mark it starts a regen. Depending when it starts, sometimes i'm just getting home, so i just drive around the town for about 4 miles and it's usually done just as i get home. Other times, it's half way through when i pull up at the house and i just sit outside the house until it's done. Actually doesn't take as long as i thought to get it back down.

Clan Jul 14th, 2022 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDesign4Life (Post 2833847)
Does anyone know at what 'g' of soot level the XC60 2.4 D5 will attempt a DPF regen cycle?

I've read that constant interruptions to a regen can dilute your oil with diesel so would like to avoid such scenarios if I can. So I have an ELM327 and the CarScanner app on my phone which gives me a few extra gauges including one that monitors DPF soot so I was hoping to see when it reaches the trigger point and try as far as I can to avoid interrupting any regen cycles once they start.

When I first added this dashboard the level was right down at 8g of soot so must have just done a recent cleaning cycle. It's now up at 15g and my guess is that around 30g may be the trigger but I just don'tr know for sure so if anyone does know I'd be very interested in finding out. Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt worry about it , volvo's dpf system is very robust and does cope with what ever you throw at it . You will know when something is wrong when it warns you ...

RDesign4Life Jul 15th, 2022 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2834144)
I wouldnt worry about it , volvo's dpf system is very robust and does cope with what ever you throw at it . You will know when something is wrong when it warns you ...

So the rising oil level issue I've read about isn't brought about by interrupted DPF regens?