Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flashes in the night (not the rude kind) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=300689)

Thekilt Nov 17th, 2019 20:32

Flashes in the night (not the rude kind)

The wife has a 16 plate V40 with the Thor style lights , and whenever I’ve driven it when dark, we get quite a few people which seem to flash their lights at us. At first I was wondering if the lights weren’t automatically going on properly, but it seems they are. The only other thing is that if people think they are too bright and presume I have high beams on?!

Anyone else experience this with the newer volvos?

Spike56 Nov 18th, 2019 13:13

Self levelling or manually adjustable? If manual, do you have a 'load' in the bac which would raise the level a the front?

Thekilt Nov 18th, 2019 13:22

No manual control for it, that’s why I was wondering if anyone else has this issue. I’m sure it’s just people not liking the brightness of these lights. I have to admit some of the newer cars are rather bright when oncoming

Harvey1512 Nov 18th, 2019 18:56

From what you are describing they are set too high. Led lights on cars are so common now I would not expect a flash just for that. If you can lower them I would suggest trying that and seeing if the flashing stops. If you can't alter them then a trip to a dealers may be in order to get them checked out.

dingov70 Nov 18th, 2019 19:03

A quick & easy solution is to go to an MOT station & ask to check dip beam setting . We normally find newer style lights are set too high , even by dealer workshops .

andy_d Nov 18th, 2019 23:18

Get the alignment checked Properly at a vosa/mot place once they are set correctly its probably the lights are Way to bright and dazzling just like Too many of the newer cars.
have a chat with your optician re the LED lights and dazzling eyes, its Well proven they do.
Construction and use regs clearly state "not dazzling" "not distracting", and most of the "new" cars blatantly ignore those parts.

green van man Nov 19th, 2019 07:08

One can buy an led torch with a self defence setting that rapidly flashes the cree led to blind an attackor.

They may be great when sat behind them, I find them a pain when approaching them even if properly adjusted. My night vision adapts to my tungsten halogen lamps, approaching led lights destroy that night vision and I'm blind untill my eyes adjust again.

As an off road exercise try driving in the dark useing just side lights once your eyesight has adapted you can safely drive and it's surprising what you can actually see. It's lights destroy that ability.

Paul.

FredGraham Nov 19th, 2019 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2573278)
One can buy an led torch with a self defence setting that rapidly flashes the cree led to blind an attackor.

They may be great when sat behind them, I find them a pain when approaching them even if properly adjusted. My night vision adapts to my tungsten halogen lamps, approaching led lights destroy that night vision and I'm blind untill my eyes adjust again.

As an off road exercise try driving in the dark useing just side lights once your eyesight has adapted you can safely drive and it's surprising what you can actually see. It's lights destroy that ability.

Paul.

Hi Paul
I'm completely with you on this one. I find that almost every car with these super bright lights will "blind" your vision, leaving you unable to see for a few seconds. I'd go so far as to say they're dangerous if your facing them. Obviously sat behind them the driver would have no idea that whilst he has a super view of the road ahead, they're blinding oncoming vehicles. Just my opinion, happy green van man thinks the same.
Fred :angry_smile:

canis Nov 19th, 2019 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2573278)
it's surprising what you can actually see. It's lights destroy that ability.

It's amazing just how little light is needed, isn't it! On a motorway a couple of weekends ago I was astonished how bright the overhead lights were. It was like daylight, totally unnecessary and headache inducingly bright. Honestly, they were that bright you didn't even need headlamps at all.

capt jack Nov 19th, 2019 22:00

I found that I was really distracted by red LED tail lights when driving at night, especially in the wet. I mentioned this to my optician who recommended some honeycomb lenses. She seemed very certain that this new technology would help, and I’m so glad that I took her advice. I’ve had my new specs for a few days now, and the improvement in night time vision really is very marked.

The glasses were marginally more than they’d have been with regular lenses, and the improvement has definitely been for me worth every penny.

Jack