Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Were to get 940 estate lowering springs (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305578)

Palehorse940 Apr 27th, 2020 18:12

Were to get 940 estate lowering springs

As the title guys. I’ve had a search and it’s not bringing much up. Can other model volvo springs fit ? With money tight and having loads of time with being off work looking to keep my self occupied cheers Dave

griston64 Apr 27th, 2020 19:02

I got Lesjofors lowering springs from parts for Volvo's online. There are loads out there but they seem to get a good name

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...e9736fc9283f9b

No connection to me:teeth_smile:

deeman940 Apr 28th, 2020 03:09

^^^ probably the best recommendation if you are only fitting springs, i wouldn't fit the Kilen ones....
Anything is an improvement over the stock boaty ride! You may find you want to fit ARB's shortly after

mocambique-amazone Apr 28th, 2020 08:06

If you lower more than a inch you will ruin the roll center at the front. There are solutions, not cheap. Still the best improvement for money you will get.
Good luck, Kay with standart hight at my 744 for this reason

MiniNinjaRob Apr 28th, 2020 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone (Post 2623562)
If you lower more than a inch you will ruin the roll center at the front. There are solutions, not cheap. Still the best improvement for money you will get.
Good luck, Kay with standart hight at my 744 for this reason

Mines lowered 40mm. Handles miles better in every respect with no downsides.

Lowering by 40mm also increases the negative camber at the front which stops the unueven tyre wear the 940’s had from new (outer edge excessive wear) without having to redrill the top mounts.

Can’t remember what make mine were, bought them brand new off eBay for £80 for the full set. Changed dampers for B4’s at the same time.

griston64 Apr 28th, 2020 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob (Post 2623613)
Mines lowered 40mm. Handles miles better in every respect with no downsides.

Lowering by 40mm also increases the negative camber at the front which stops the unueven tyre wear the 940’s had from new (outer edge excessive wear) without having to redrill the top mounts.

Can’t remember what make mine were, bought them brand new off eBay for £80 for the full set. Changed dampers for B4’s at the same time.

That's exactly what I am in the ( long ) process of doing. I've got B4's all round and 40mm lowering springs. I think I read somewhere that 40mm springs lower turbo cars less ??

Anyway glad your happy Ninja as I'm hoping for a big improvement:teeth_smile:

Laird Scooby Apr 28th, 2020 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman940 (Post 2623542)
^^^ probably the best recommendation if you are only fitting springs, i wouldn't fit the Kilen ones....
Anything is an improvement over the stock boaty ride! You may find you want to fit ARB's shortly after

Kilen and Suplex are both subsidiary companies of Lesjofors who were OE suppliers to Volvo and many other manufacturers. They all sell the same springs under their different names and often with the same part number.

As for shocks, the Bilstein B4s have a good reputation but if you decide to stay with the standard ride height, look for KYB shocks on fleabay, excellent shocks and good prices too.

deeman940 Apr 28th, 2020 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2623688)
Kilen and Suplex are both subsidiary companies of Lesjofors who were OE suppliers to Volvo and many other manufacturers. They all sell the same springs under their different names and often with the same part number.

As for shocks, the Bilstein B4s have a good reputation but if you decide to stay with the standard ride height, look for KYB shocks on fleabay, excellent shocks and good prices too.

i had a bad experience with Kilen springs but i don't know if it was down to the shocks or not...the ride was very 'bouncy' . BC coilovers are the way forward in my opinion.....pricey but worth it.

TonyS9 Apr 28th, 2020 16:11

I had cobra springs, but they broke after about 10 years and were very harse with a progressive section that would just bind up.

I got simple linear springs from Classic Swede, a much nicer compromise. Maybe slightly higher than the Corbas but low enough and practical. Using with Bilstein Sports.

Laird Scooby Apr 28th, 2020 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeman940 (Post 2623716)
i had a bad experience with Kilen springs but i don't know if it was down to the shocks or not...the ride was very 'bouncy' . BC coilovers are the way forward in my opinion.....pricey but worth it.

From what you've said there, two words come to mind - FUBAR dampers!

Dampers aka shock absorbers are what control the bounce from the spring, i'd hazard a guess that you only renewed the springs and not the dampers?
Chances are, the old ones were weak and while they controlled the old, weak springs ok, they couldn't cope with new springs that were stronger.

Coilovers can be good if they're set up correctly but tend to be more difficult to get the right mix on both to work right, especially with "universal" kits.