Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Outside temperature sensor (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258347)

aslan Oct 25th, 2016 09:15

Outside temperature sensor

Hi all

I'm in Malaysia where it's hot and humid. I was shocked when the temp display on the dash showed this

http://i.imgur.com/1DqH0Btl.jpg

It was hovering below freezing point, at the end of the journey it started to climb up to 6 deg C which is still way off. Is the sensor faulty?

Does the ambient temp influence any functioning of the car? I know with the P2 the climate control module does factor in the ambient temperature. Not sure with this model though. I wonder if I can leave it be ...

Thanks

GaryS40 Oct 25th, 2016 09:51

Mine read -34C a few years ago, but at the same time, the fuel gauge read empty, even if it was totally full!

Switched the car off and started it again - back to normal.

Not sure if it was a loose connection or similar.

Did it a few times, over a long period of time and then started working normally again.

Not happened for over 2 years now.

Gary

uservolvo Jan 1st, 2017 21:28

Try to unplug the connector of the external temp sensor. Turn on the key an read the value on cluster. If report -40 or "--" is good. Switch off, clear the connector, be sure no water are inside the plug and plug again, switch on and read the value. Wait some minutes since the ecu "adjust" the previus reading with the new one.
If the situation is not changed could be the sensor to replace. I've replaced 2 sensors in 16 years due to the facts the salt/water in winter come inside the plastic and damage the resistor inside the plastic cover...now covered with an extra silicon high performance :-)

Robc9900 Jan 3rd, 2017 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryS40 (Post 2185702)
Mine read -34C a few years ago, but at the same time, the fuel gauge read empty, even if it was totally full!

Switched the car off and started it again - back to normal.

Not sure if it was a loose connection or similar.

Did it a few times, over a long period of time and then started working normally again.

Not happened for over 2 years now.

Gary

Hi Gary,
Exactly the same thing happen to me the other day, left the shopping centre and noticed the fuel gauge was dropping to zero,, some bastards nicked my petrol I thought then I noticed the temp gauge reading -34C. I drove about half a mile to put some fuel in just to be on the safe side, on the way the fuel gauge came up again but the temp was still wrong. Stopped the car turned off the engine restarted all ok, mystery ?. I had a good look cct diagrams in the Haynes manual and there doesn't appear to be any connection. Perhaps it's just an ecu startup error.
Regards
Rob

CopthorneMike Jan 5th, 2017 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by uservolvo (Post 2215703)
Try to unplug the connector of the external temp sensor. Turn on the key an read the value on cluster. If report -40 or "--" is good. Switch off, clear the connector, be sure no water are inside the plug and plug again, switch on and read the value. Wait some minutes since the ecu "adjust" the previus reading with the new one.
If the situation is not changed could be the sensor to replace. I've replaced 2 sensors in 16 years due to the facts the salt/water in winter come inside the plastic and damage the resistor inside the plastic cover...now covered with an extra silicon high performance :-)

I must admit that the external temp has never provided a reading in the Information Centre although all the other reads out (av. mpg. miles left before refuelling) have always worked OK! Whereabouts are the sensor and the connector located - not a critical issue but would be nice to fix.

SIAMBLUE Jan 5th, 2017 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by CopthorneMike (Post 2217233)
I must admit that the external temp has never provided a reading in the Information Centre although all the other reads out (av. mpg. miles left before refuelling) have always worked OK! Whereabouts are the sensor and the connector located - not a critical issue but would be nice to fix.

On the front bumper bar on the right of the rad ac pack as you stand in front of the car.

I can take a picture if you need it.

druid Nov 26th, 2017 17:19

Help?

Can any of you provide a part number?

ITSv40 Nov 26th, 2017 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by druid (Post 2341667)
Can any of you provide a part number?

There you go: 30810375 1999 onwards.

druid Nov 30th, 2017 14:23

Just ordered one from FRF Swansea. £21 odd posted!

Cocopops101 May 23rd, 2019 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIAMBLUE (Post 2217335)
On the front bumper bar on the right of the rad ac pack as you stand in front of the car.

I can take a picture if you need it.

Is this for s40 s 2005 model? Its just started happening to me too. When turning engine on it reads -5° but its actually 12° outside. Any chance if right model you could post wee pic please? As some saying sensor behind mirror and others saying in engine bay so not sure were to actually look as dont have manual anymore :^(