Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Other 70 Problem: Fuel Cap Door Wont Lock (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=130097)

Stone Free Jul 23rd, 2011 12:44

Fuel Cap Door Wont Lock

The fuel cap door does will not lock when all the doors are centrally locked either with the fob or key.......any suggestions on a fix ? As with cost of fuel these days ya cant be too careful.

V70 D5 S 2002

S60-MBS Jul 23rd, 2011 12:53

Theres usually a time delay for the fuel cap, if thats not working then you have a dead solonoid.

25622003 Jul 23rd, 2011 13:17

Hi, Stone free,
the fuel flap has never locked on my s80 since I got it 2yrs since , IMO the cost of damage done to the flap and possibly rear wing would be more expensive than a tank of fuel, so I have never bothered fixing it. Also I cannot remember the last time I heard of anyone I know having their tank drained.
If I was you I would leave it as it is.
Dave.

richards80 Jul 23rd, 2011 14:03

mine was the same as this but now works!!! after replacing a faulty alarm siren however it does take a good 10mins to lock after the car has deadlocked, do your hazard lights flash when locking??? as mine dont! but do when unlocking

october37 Jul 23rd, 2011 14:08

AS S60-MBS states, there is a time delay.
Fuel flap motors are not things that go wrong that often.
Try locking the car as normal, and try the fuel flap after ten minutes have elapsed and it should have locked itself by then.
If not check the earth for the flap motor by slightly loosening and re-tightening the two torx screws inside the fuel filler compartment, and if that fails, check the electrical connection of the supply to the motor behind the offside cargo area rear pannel. If you still dont get it to work, a replacment s/h motor can usualy be bought on Ebay for a £10er

55reg V70SE D5 AWD Geartronic

costajus Jul 23rd, 2011 20:22

Lock the car then come back 15 mins later and see if the fuel flap is locked.

As others have said there is usually a delay locking the fuel flap.

You can get the delay changed/turned off but I believe the software has to be downloaded from Volvo (like when I had my Daytime Running Lights turned off) so it will cost you £30 at least if you can find an indie to do it for you.

switcher Jul 23rd, 2011 21:53

Pull the trim back a bit inside the boot and you can slide the rod over by hand to lock it. It might even start working again.

Stone Free Jul 24th, 2011 09:40

Time delay it is........just checked it out & sure enough its now locked. Thanks for everyones help.

vjck_uk Jul 24th, 2011 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 25622003 (Post 952299)
Hi, Stone free,
the fuel flap has never locked on my s80 since I got it 2yrs since , IMO the cost of damage done to the flap and possibly rear wing would be more expensive than a tank of fuel, so I have never bothered fixing it. Also I cannot remember the last time I heard of anyone I know having their tank drained.
If I was you I would leave it as it is.
Dave.

on my 07 model its a crappy bit of plastic holding it shut and as you say best left unlocked to save damage,what i have done is put a lockable cap on off my old 960

deeppockets Nov 15th, 2013 10:50

XC90 fuel lock solenoid motor

Just experienced failure of the fuel lock - stuck locked. Fortunately it was discovered when I went to replace the hinge due to the spring clip mount having broken (imho does not look fit for purpose).

Taking the solenoid apart I found there is an electrical weakness where the conductors from the external connector enter the motor on push-fit arrangement. On my unit a push-fit connection had failed causing the motor to appear open circuit to the external connector.

I have repaired it, though not straight forward-
. remove the actuator from the black carrier
. open the actuator by removing screws and splitting case being careful not to lose the rubber stop between the actuator arms.
. carefully remove motor and connector conductors
. open motor by prying out the metal case's holding tabs
. use an awl or sharp nail to gently reform the copper conductors at the push-fit point to ensure a positive contact with push-fit conductors
. reassemble, repositioning the case's holding tabs with grips

Apart from the loose connection the unit showing no signs of wear or weathering, saved £100 on new unit (30612856).

deeppockets
2006 XC90 D5