Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   P1221 fault?? fuel pressure pump (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40767)

bazzer30 Jul 17th, 2007 15:19

P1221 fault?? fuel pressure pump

Hi all:angry2:
I really hate my volvo v40, it looks good, feels good but it always has some little issue, (bring back my old civic all is forgiven).
The latest saga; I refueled the car on Sunday afternoon, It was very near empty and I filled it to the top. When I started it, the rev counter went a bit mad i.e. we went from 500rpm to about 3000rpm maybe 2 or 3 times then stalled. I waited a few moments for everything to settle and started again with no problem, about a mile out the road I started to lose power and the car, the engine management computer light came on and i pulled in and towed the car home.
It has refused to start since! At first I was not overly alarmed thinking its probably just dirt in the petrol (I did check that I put petrol in). The local garage (not a main dealer) has subsequent to changing the plugs assured me that petrol is coming to the engine and I do have a spark, so he tried the diagnostic computer which gave him a p1221 fault. He has no details on that fault and is unwilling to do any more to the car. The Volvo garage tells me it might be a fuel pressure pump problem but won't commit till they do their own diagnostic. Either way it sounds expensive! has anybody experienced this before? Is the fuel pressure pump a common problem?.

Any body interested in buying a 2002 v40 1.8i GDI engine

barry

mharriso Jul 18th, 2007 01:13

mate check your fuel isn't contaminated, perhaps with water, seems odd this happened straight after filling up.....

i would drain the tank and flush the fuel system, replace the filter and give it a go... whilst you at it get inspect the fuel you drained, if you see layering in the fuel you may have water in it...

if all this is ok then i guess its a case of checking the fuelpressure regulator, then the pump, then the injectots etc... working from supply to eninge, and back again (fuel return line...)

All the best

Dandle Jul 18th, 2007 05:05

I would go with what mharriso said. It does seem like you have contaminated fuel in there.

bazzer30 Jul 18th, 2007 11:41

Thanks Guys

I did go to the petrol station in question, they said that there had been no problem reported with their petrol, then they would say that, its worth checking out though.

bazzer30 Jul 18th, 2007 17:33

the volvo garage got back to me, new fuel pump required!! 380euro +vat(21%)+labour. the joys of it all.......

mharriso Jul 18th, 2007 22:04

OUCH, look on the bright side, should run well now, seeing as it was probably below par before it finally went pop....cheers for lettign us know the outcome...

bazzer30 Jul 22nd, 2007 20:41

p1221 fault, it getting more and more expensive

the saga continues, I was on holidays so i left the car with my volvo dealer told him i'd collect it on monday. He phoned me on friday evening with the chilling news!!!!!

The fuel pressure pump has been replaced and the car is running now, but badly. He went on... I apparently need a new Air Mass Meter (whatever that is) about 600euro +vat +labour, and the head has to be removed to be cleaned 1200euro +vat. Apparently it is a "fault" with the v40 1.8i (with the mitsubishi GDI engine). They have problems with carbonization between 50 to 70000 miles (i've just over 77000) There is a build up of carbon on the air mass meter and in the engine block, once i get this cleaned up she'll be right as rain for another 50 to 70000 miles he tells me. needless to say a few drinks were needed, where i go to from here i don't know, spending almost 3000euro on a car worth 12000 seems mad.

Anyway could be worse

mharriso Jul 22nd, 2007 23:18

i HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU , I'M NOT SURE IT COULD BE WORSE...

CAN I SUGGEST YO GET ANY WORK DONE WITH SOMEONE OTHER THAN A MAIN DELAER, THOSE PRICES ARE HORRIFIC... ALSO THERE ARE MANY CHEMICAL ADDITIVES THAT CAN AID CARBON BUILD UP REMOVAL, AND ARE WORTH A GO WITH THE SORT OF PRICES THIS DEALER IS SUGGESTING, ALSO CONFIRM THE MAF CAN'T JUST BE CLEANED RATHER THAN REPLACED... SEEMS THEY ARE GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR SITUATION....

MAYBE I'M JUST SUSPICIOUS.....

bazzer30 Jul 23rd, 2007 15:54

I have been somewhat dubious of his claims, I'm trying to see if i can get somebody else to do it, or I might just sell the car as is ie"damaged repairable".

either way i'm reluctant to part with 3000euro for a five year old car

plebo0001 Mar 10th, 2010 20:00

P1221 fault code on 1.8 gdi v40 estate

Hi all, new to this site but I am wondering if anyone can help I have just had a diagnostic test done on my v40 1.8 estate and a p1221 code is showing. After doing a bit of research i've discovered its likely to be the fuel pressure pump. How easy is this to do yourself and were can I get hold of one on the cheap?

The revs were going up and down and there was a severe loss of power, managed to crawl home but now its a mere ornament. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks