Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine: D5: Emissions high - service required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51376)

narva Jan 17th, 2008 08:24

Emissions high - service required

When engine is warm I keep getting this error message: "Emissions high..."
I followed instructions to clean inlet: cleaning inlet plenum/manifold

After these steps I felt that engine power came back again. But after second engine restart I was back where I was before cleaning inlet: I get error message "Emissions high..." and the engine power is volatile.

Any thoughts, ideas ?

Paul Clifton Jan 17th, 2008 23:44

Emissions

You have a fault somewhere in the engine management system, you need to get the codes read.

Paul.

narva Jan 23rd, 2008 08:43

Codes were read. Hear is what was stored:

1) ECM-4405 (Flow too high - defective EGR valve)
2) ECM-6805 (Boost pressure control - Faulty flow)

Could EGR valve cause Boost pressure DTC if it is full of soot and oil ?
Or these both sensors need to be replaced ? :(

Paul Clifton Jan 23rd, 2008 23:21

codes

From the codes you quote it sounds as though you have an air leak on the induction side. Prime culprits are intercooler/turbo hose split or the intercooler itself is leaking/split. Look for any excess oil arround the hoses or bottom of radiator/intercooler/evaporator (all bolted together).

Paul.

narva Jan 24th, 2008 07:27

My understanding was that if it is intercooler related issue then there should be black smoke coming from exhaust, right ?
But there is none.

By visually checking hoses and intercooler I didn't see any signs of oil...
What I noticed after checking 2nd time my inlet manifold was that it was oily inside, is this normal ?

I seem to believe I need to clean EGR valve/actuator before buying new one. But removing it is not an easy job as high
pressure pump lies on top of it...

Paul Clifton Jan 26th, 2008 17:20

codes

Oil in manifold is normal. Perhaps EGR stuck open in that case. It can be removed without disturbing the pump but a bit fiddly.
In this case it seems to me codes are hnot particulary related. Boost pressure code still indicates a possible air lek or perhaps faulty boost pressure sensor (unlikely) or a faulty turbo boost control valve TCV or pipework associated.

Paul.

narva Jan 28th, 2008 09:20

1 Attachment(s)
After I cleaned EGR system, no emission related errors appear. The emissions cooler (3) was full of soot, also the valve(2) shifted badly...

No I am about to clear DTC, but no success with ELM327. I can read codes easily, but after clearing it the same code is still in ECM. Or may Volvo doesn't allow to access this area of ECU ???

Has anyone experience with ELM327 vs V70 D5 ?

p.s. How to convert general OBD codes to Volvo equivalent? (P04010 -> ECM-4405 )