Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   940 Diesel Not starting (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=301357)

BenVol Dec 8th, 2019 17:07

940 Diesel Not starting

Hi everyone, new to site and it looks to be a wealth of info and enthusiasm. I have just bought a 95 940 Diesel. New diesel in, new fuel filter and battery....turning over freely. It was starting a year ago as I know previous owner. I know these oil burners need their heater plugs....so these may be faulty. I have 6 ordered from ebay but until they arrive would most people agree this is the next thing to do? I can hear the click of the relay...so I'm assuming this means it is working. I have no engine manual....where is the heater plug relay....and has anyone any other suggestions? 🙂 thanks guys

BenVol Dec 8th, 2019 17:40

Is there an immobiliser on these? Just found 2 key Bob's in a bag! Batteries probably flat...are they just for remote central locking or more?

volvo always Dec 8th, 2019 17:58

I was told by a locksmiths that 1995 is the start of immobiliser/chip built into the key on my 1996 940 when I got a spare key cut and programmed.

Try replacing the battery in the fob

I don't have a fob, just key, so suspect the batteries are only needed if you have the fob to lock/unlock the car remotely. Are you hot wiring it, as if immobilized will need to read the key chip.

James.

jpliddy Dec 8th, 2019 18:09

940 tdi auto 1995

hi
is there a black box on drivers door pilar should be my car is a 1995 diesel and its got a immobiliser and alarm this can be isolated the fuse is either under bonnet near the abs UNIT if not it will be above drivers right knee i had a problem once my fuse is above drivers knee behind panel if its there im told alarm was fitted after it left factory . moving on its quite easy to check each glow plug see my recent posts on this . glow plug relay is under bonnet right hand side below ABS unit . keep us informed we can help hopefully . these engines start first turn of ignition key every time no constant turning of engine unless there a fault glow plugs first path. do you get loads of smoke trying to start car ?

jpliddy Dec 8th, 2019 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo always (Post 2579053)
i was told by a locksmiths that 1995 is the start of immobiliser/chip built into the key on my 1996 940 when i got a spare key cut and programmed.

Try replacing the battery in the fob

i don't have a fob, just key, so suspect the batteries are only needed if you have the fob to lock/unlock the car remotely. Are you hot wiring it, as if immobilized will need to read the key chip.

James.

hi ive not heard of chip built into key on the 940 diesels and ive seen a few of these cars in my 20 years of ownership

BenVol Dec 8th, 2019 19:04

Thanks for reply, I checked there....there is no black box at drivers door pillar on mine...the keys have no batteries in them, I think the key fobs must be soley for opening the doors....I'll check heater plugs and relay tomorrow....the owner said it always started first turn of the key and is getting fuel. lovely big wagon, cant wait to get it going!

jpliddy Dec 8th, 2019 19:47

940 tdi auto 1995

strange one with no alarm on it
if no luck in the morning can you tell us the model of your car and maybe reg number see if we can make progress glow plugs need checking first too did you see my posts on this ?

jor Dec 8th, 2019 19:58

manual

Not the correct manual for your car (d24Tic), but volvotips has a manual for the d24 engine, plus pre-heating.

jor

BenVol Dec 8th, 2019 20:13

Great, thanks guys...won't get at it til a few days so Ilk keep posted! Thanks for help so far, and for link to getting manual

jor Dec 8th, 2019 20:33

I think this is the right one.....
brickspeed.net/VolvoDocs/My-Scans/7s-and-9s/Specs-82-to-91-700-91-940-and-960.pdf

jor