Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   help urgently needed (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=199758)

andrew81 Feb 24th, 2014 20:26

help urgently needed

hi all bought myself a 440 on a j plate yes 22 years old lol the other day only got 56k on the clock !!!

any way my problem is it runs fine drives fine, but this is the strange bit cuts out under hard cornering????? as soon as you straighten up cuts back in off we go seems like fuel starvation, i had it running on the spot today, running spot on, its had new lead plugs and service, tho air filter is dirty so will need changing, service was done before i got it, any help would be great as i use the car for work oh its on carb to

thanks

Clan Feb 24th, 2014 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew81 (Post 1590689)
hi all bought myself a 440 on a j plate yes 22 years old lol the other day only got 56k on the clock !!!

any way my problem is it runs fine drives fine, but this is the strange bit cuts out under hard cornering????? as soon as you straighten up cuts back in off we go seems like fuel starvation, i had it running on the spot today, running spot on, its had new lead plugs and service, tho air filter is dirty so will need changing, service was done before i got it, any help would be great as i use the car for work oh its on carb to

thanks

fill the tank to the top and try it , it should run perfectly , and see if it gets worse and worse as the tank empties , see how low you can run the fuel down ...
that will prove if it is the fuel swirl pot in the tank or not .

andrew81 Feb 25th, 2014 04:28

does the same when full or empty grrrrrr

is the swirl pot part of the sender unit ???

posibly fuel pump which is on the back of the block ????

what a bout fuel filter, as i cant see one on it ????

this is really anoying as it runs spot on when not corning lol

andrew81 Feb 25th, 2014 19:41

anyone got any ideas as im out of them ?

mossca Feb 25th, 2014 19:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew81 (Post 1591352)
anyone got any ideas as im out of them ?

Does it do it if you just turn the wheel to full lock when stationary? Or do you have to be moving. Might be nipping a fuel pipe.

Clan Feb 25th, 2014 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrew81 (Post 1590923)
does the same when full or empty grrrrrr

is the swirl pot part of the sender unit ???

posibly fuel pump which is on the back of the block ????

what a bout fuel filter, as i cant see one on it ????

this is really anoying as it runs spot on when not corning lol

yes the swirl pot is part of the sender . so , maybe as the engine moves in it's mounts the wiring is rubbing on something and shorting out ?

andrew81 Feb 26th, 2014 15:10

it only does it when moving and only when you really push it in to corners drive sensibly it fine bit strange lol

andrew81 Feb 26th, 2014 21:18

grrrrrrrr

only doing it when cornering this anoying

john h Feb 27th, 2014 06:07

Something ignition-related shorting out as the engine moves on cornering?

Or a broken wire or earth cable that allows current normally but is pulled apart when the engine moves?

I don't know where the fuse box is on these (and does it have any form of ECU?). Could there be some water that's leaked inside which runs onto anything like this in hard cornering?

John

andrew81 Feb 27th, 2014 20:03

i shall have a dig around over the week end and see what i can see/ find out ill let you know