Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rumour or fact? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294909)

Dippydog May 19th, 2019 17:37

Rumour or fact?

I have been told this afternoon that the world record has been declined due to incorrect spacing between the cars.True/false? The facebook[I don't do facebook so am only going on information received from a family member]announcement has apparently said that the organisers were going to gauge interest in a fresh attempt to take place next year,again true/false?

ITSv40 May 19th, 2019 18:25

Yes, sadly it is true.

Message on facebook from Millsy with the official announcement from Guinness World Records. Apparently all to do with spacing between cars.

green van man May 19th, 2019 20:30

I thought the record was the number of cars ! What's spacing got to do with that. As I recall it was reported that there were more cars than counted anyway.

Paul.

ITSv40 May 19th, 2019 20:44

I think the object of the world record attempt was the most Volvo cars in a rolling cavalcade. It appears the Guinness folks deemed that some spacing between cars exceeded 'two average car lengths' - their rules - thus it was not a continuous cavalcade but a collection of smaller individual ones that just happened to be taking place on the same day at the same venue.

A real disappointment!

Dippydog May 19th, 2019 21:17

Strangely[although I didn't know the parameters for a record to be set]I'd thought when I was told of the fail that it would have been because we were packed too close!!!Hopefully the attempt will be re-staged,I know I'd certainly make one if it is re-run.

LankyTim May 19th, 2019 21:41

As vast as Bruntingthorpe is, I thought the venue was too small for the number of cars, the front of the parade met and overtook the tail end before it had chance to move, it became a bit of a free for all.

I do hope there is another attempt.

SignumGB May 19th, 2019 23:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LankyTim (Post 2521868)
As vast as Bruntingthorpe is, I thought the venue was too small for the number of cars, the front of the parade met and overtook the tail end before it had chance to move, it became a bit of a free for all.

I do hope there is another attempt.

Yeah we got stuck at one bit on the day whilst the marshall car let others past. Still, not a wasted trip from Edinburgh. The weeman got to go to Thomasland the day before. It's the guy from Serbia I feel sorry for. Went all that way....

AndyJudge May 20th, 2019 12:35

Years ago we ended up the the same issue when trying for the record with the longest cavalcade of Subaru Impreza's.

skippyfox May 20th, 2019 13:40

What a bummer.. I'd be up for another crack at it, just need a bigger track.

Dippydog May 20th, 2019 15:22

I don't do Facebook but according to my step granddaughter they've opened a poll on their page to gauge interest in taking another shot at this and the last time she told me they'd had over 600 replies[or whatever they're called on there]one of which she has put on my behalf.Apparently some are suggesting alternative venues such as Donnington Park or R.A.F.Scampton etc. I would think that choice of venue would all depend on availability and cost,although it should in fairness as central-in terms of geography-as is practicable.