Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ulez extension in LONDON - S60 Petrol- Not Compliant. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318899)

Gen_Billy Aug 2nd, 2021 18:49

Ulez extension in LONDON - S60 Petrol- Not Compliant.

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Volvo Friends,

I have a 2002 Volvo s60.( Petrol) ULEZ is extending, and I am sort of forced to get rid of my 19 year old joy.

It is currently saying its not compliant with ULEZ checker. - I was hoping it be a early adaptor.

I have sent an email to volvo to find out if it is. I have feeling it should be compliant as there are similar aged models that pass the UZEZ checker yet mines don't pass.

See attachments.

My S60 is 240g/km and the V70 is 231g/km - One is complaint and the other isn't.

Any advise.

MrJames Aug 2nd, 2021 18:55

What I find even stranger is shouldn't they both be in L?

I've never really understood how they tested these vehicles, my C70 with it's T5 engine on it's MOT test actually burnt cleaner than a lot of modern vehicles, it always baffled me and the tester how it's classed as such a high emission vehicle.

MrJames Aug 2nd, 2021 18:59

I wonder if the difference is one was registered as Euro3 and the other was registered as Euro4?

stuart bowes Aug 2nd, 2021 19:11

Petrol engines need to be of the Euro 4 standard:
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ult...s?intcmp=52215

whatever that actually means though I'm none the wiser, how an older car can be euro 4 and the newer one isn't is slightly confusing

am I reading right that the older compliant one is NA and the newer non-compliant one is Turbo.. to be fair, it does have a higher g/kg reading doesn't it (albeit not much)

mines a 2001 2.4 non turbo and that passes, not that I'd use it anyway because the missus has a much newer, smaller, less polluting car with a puny engine and I'm 5mins walk from a tube station. Also i don't live / work within the zone

old onions Aug 2nd, 2021 19:14

My 2006 V70 is Euro 4 , and therefore ULEZ compliant , however my wife's Golf (Euro 3 diesel) and my other car (Euro 3 petrol) are not.

Neither are particularly high polluting vehicles, and if I look at the actual emissions on my car from its MoT tests, it actually meets the Euro 4 standards. However, the car is not homologated to that standard by the manufacturer and therefore it is an automatic fail.

I tried to do some investigation about getting an "exemption" and found that a motorcycle garage in Stratford (E London) was taking certain older bikes , re-tuning them to comply, and then registering this on the TfL computer. When asked about whether this was feasible for cars, he said "never again" the work he had to do with officials , and layers of bureaucracy , had almost driven him mad with despair at times, especially the access to the TfL computor.

Luckily I don't use my other car too often so I am resigned to paying the £12.50 each time I do , rather than taking a much bigger hit on a trade to a newer compliant model.

MrJames Aug 2nd, 2021 19:29

Part of me wonders if these cars were actually tested or if was based on an estimate as at the time it didn't really matter as there weren't the restrictions there are now.

VroomVroomClonk Aug 3rd, 2021 09:03

The TFL ULEZ checker doesn't seem to be working correctly at the moment.

I've just entered my car details, a 2005 V70 T5 and it says I have to pay a ULEZ charge. I entered the same details a few months ago and it said my car was Euro 4 compliant and was exempt from any charges. I still have a screenshot of the first time I did it clearly showing the car passed.

MDS40 Aug 3rd, 2021 09:22

Same here.

S40 2.4 auto 2006 was previously shown as exempt but did a check after reading your post and now says its not. £15 to £ 17.50 a day payable.

No intention of driving in London anymore but strange none the less.

VroomVroomClonk Aug 3rd, 2021 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDS40 (Post 2759185)
S40 2.4 auto 2006 was previously shown as exempt but did a check after reading your post and now says its not. £15 to £ 17.50 a day payable.

Well that clearly shows that their system is broken. My 2005 car is borderline on the Euro 4 compliance dates, but all cars registered from January 2006 had to be Euro 4, so yours must be exempt from the ULEZ charge.

Kev0607 Aug 3rd, 2021 10:26

I think its a fair statement to make that these ULEZ zones aren’t solely about emissions, its money.

If people choose to pay £15 a day (or whatever it is) & continue to drive their cars into ULEZ zones, its not really going to lower emissions. Yes, the temptation to drive an older car into a city will reduce because of the charge, but are we really lowering anything?

Yes, people will get buses etc as an alternative to driving, but if anything, a city full of buses would be worse than having thousands of cars? Theirs a difference between a euro 6 car & a bus… the bus obviously won’t be as good to the environment. We have these hybrid buses now… they can only run so long on generated power before the actual engine kicks in.

How many buses & other forms of transport are we going to have to put on the road/tracks so that we aren’t packed in like sardines travelling?