Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 issues, turbo adjustment (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132550)

fgx318 Aug 26th, 2011 00:51

D5 issues, turbo adjustment

Hi there, back with the limp mode on my 2004 D5 v70, intercooler and VNT replaced, engine mounts bypassed but still goes to limp mode espacially when the engine reaches is normal temperature. I finally went to my volvo dealer. He found numerous codes, I told him what I did and what I replaced. He found air charge pressure problem and told me that it could be the turbo building up to much pressure. I found the TNG to be adjustable so I loosen the nut on the rod but realised that the rod needed to be unscrew and that the rod is held on a lever by a clip. It's a tight fit so does anybody knows if adjusting the rod would cure the pressure issue, I wouldn't want to waste a day working on the turbo. Thanks for your help

PS : I didn't read the codes on the Vadis software

outnumbered Aug 26th, 2011 08:17

is it possible to get the codes from the dealers.
have a read of this.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132443
mike

Clan Aug 26th, 2011 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by fgx318 (Post 972792)
Hi there, back with the limp mode on my 2004 D5 v70, intercooler and VNT replaced, engine mounts bypassed but still goes to limp mode espacially when the engine reaches is normal temperature. I finally went to my volvo dealer. He found numerous codes, I told him what I did and what I replaced. He found air charge pressure problem and told me that it could be the turbo building up to much pressure. I found the TNG to be adjustable so I loosen the nut on the rod but realised that the rod needed to be unscrew and that the rod is held on a lever by a clip. It's a tight fit so does anybody knows if adjusting the rod would cure the pressure issue, I wouldn't want to waste a day working on the turbo. Thanks for your help

PS : I didn't read the codes on the Vadis software

the VNT rod on the turbo is factory set matched to the individual turbo , if you tamper with this you will alter this calibration and will need a new turbo anyway as the air flow wont match the expected and will get the MIL / message up again!

fgx318 Aug 26th, 2011 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by outnumbered (Post 972836)
is it possible to get the codes from the dealers.
have a read of this.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=132443
mike

Thanks for your reply, I'll will get the codes next time. The first time I went to the dealer there were approx. 7 codes on the diagram on the screen and two of them were red, the others were pink as far as I remember. They decided to reset all the codes to spot my limp mode the next time I'll have the car checked.

I've already read this excellent post, very useful and interesting :thumbs_up:, thanks for your help

fgx318 Aug 26th, 2011 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 972862)
the VNT rod on the turbo is factory set matched to the individual turbo , if you tamper with this you will alter this calibration and will need a new turbo anyway as the air flow wont match the expected and will get the MIL / message up again!

This confirm my thoughts ! I'll save time then, and painstaking job !

I procedeed to all the checks Outnumbered is talking about in his post apart from the injector test, but I asked the dealer if they saw any issues / codes on their software related to injectors but all was perfectly normal to them, they asked me if my car starts immediatly engine hot or cold and if idle was smooth and it does, so they discarded the injectors problem. I do really think the vanes on the turbo are stuck or misadjusted.
My dealer also told me the air pressure was too high causing the engine to go limp mode.

thanks for your help

outnumbered Aug 27th, 2011 01:12

I do really think the vanes on the turbo are stuck or misadjusted.

to see if the vanes are stuck use a mitty vac and watch the arm this will confirm that also if you have looked in the link for the u tube video the vnt rod is smooth but the vanes are not .as for the injectors just for your info if the car starts normally hot and cold and on tickover how can you tell they are okay under load????., you can do a leak of test yourself.i no it may be awhile before you get the codes again but it will help us to try and help you . hope that helps.
mike

fgx318 Aug 27th, 2011 01:43

"to see if the vanes are stuck use a mitty vac and watch the arm"

I did it and the arm moves up and down, however I almost can't move it by hand or with a tool to help, it only moves when vacuum is applied. I also watch the arm from under the car with my wife starting and reving the engine and it moves.

"you can do a leak of test yourself"
How can I do this ?

I'll try to get the code read next week,

Thanks again for your help

Clan Aug 27th, 2011 08:54

usualy the vanes only stick when hot under full power so the vacuum test , and the "watch the arm move test " doesnt prove anything ... unless it is permanantly jammed of course ..

fgx318 Aug 27th, 2011 17:32

That's right Clan, what would be the next step ? I don't think measuring the stroke of the arm would be possible.... I'll try to get the codes from dealer that will help... your help is greatly appreciated !:thumbs_up:

Clan Aug 27th, 2011 17:55

you need to know what codes were stored .. ECM 6805 ?