Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Is it still worth buying diesel variants? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=328947)

ALBERT10 Nov 17th, 2022 11:05

Is it still worth buying diesel variants?

With diesel being 25p or more per litre than petrol, is it still worth buying older diesel Volvo variants instead of petrol? Extra fuel cost and higher maintenance cost of a diesel to take into account.

Am guessing as long as doing a significant number of miles it will still be worth it?

SnineT Nov 17th, 2022 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBERT10 (Post 2858506)
With diesel being 25p or more per litre than petrol, is it still worth buying older diesel Volvo variants instead of petrol? Extra fuel cost and higher maintenance cost of a diesel to take into account.

Am guessing as long as doing a significant number of miles it will still be worth it?

Short Answer ... Yes

Long Answer ... Yes

If like most of us you aren't in the superEV league when it comes to buying a car ICE is going to be in demand for quite some time yet, it'll take a sub £25k EV family saloon to break this trend, normal people just will not be able to afford cars that are new or recent in the near future and hand over a mortgage each month in leasing isn't going to work for 70% of the public either.

Weystoner Nov 17th, 2022 12:34

I would be wary of buying a Euro 5 diesel these days: there seem to be more plans, and even implementations, for ULEZ citys and towns in the UK that may stop you entering them, or at least make you pay for the privilege.

Tannaton Nov 17th, 2022 12:48

Depends on your use of them.

If you need to travel to cities that have clean out your wallet zones, or have them planned, choose carefully.

Otherwise, especially if your mileage is high, yes. Contrary to popular misbelief - diesels are kinder to the planet... lower CO2.

griston64 Nov 17th, 2022 13:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weystoner (Post 2858531)
I would be wary of buying a Euro 5 diesel these days: there seem to be more plans, and even implementations, for ULEZ citys and towns in the UK that may stop you entering them, or at least make you pay for the privilege.

Agree with the above. Euro 5 will be charged in Glasgow from June next year

SnineT Nov 17th, 2022 14:34

Yup avoid the euro 5 ones it's only a matter of time before you won't be able to use it in any city.

concrete Nov 17th, 2022 17:27

I’m on a euro 4 engine. I just won’t go to places and they lose my money.

4x4 Nov 17th, 2022 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2858549)
...Euro 5 will be charged in Glasgow from June next year

Perfect excuse never to go into Glasgow then

watto64 Nov 17th, 2022 19:03

Diesel to the end. Unless an EV is made that will tow a caravan for at least 250 miles non-stop

Lancee Nov 17th, 2022 19:18

And be aware that VED is coming for Electric Vehicles ?