Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Steering: Power: power steering rack epic mot fail! 88 240DL (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299328)

honestjoe Oct 8th, 2019 16:37

power steering rack epic mot fail! 88 240DL

Hi all as the title suggests they could not pass bertha with this issue..on the up side no welding this year..I have to try and source a recon or a pretty sound second hand one..I had a look online and there seems to be a few different ones ref number wise..is this true or are they pretty standard through the range..ie 1988 through to 93..I have ten days to sort this out and the clock is ticking!..Thanks..Regards.hj.

volvo always Oct 8th, 2019 18:08

Sorry to hear this. I bet it's the original rack.

I would ring FRF Volvo and ask Simon about the price of a new/refurbished rack.

He would probably be able to give you the part number and say which years the same rack is fitted.

James.

honestjoe Oct 8th, 2019 19:17

Thanks James..the company my garage wants to use is a six day turn around and not cheap..I feel pretty helpless on this issue as the rack (apparently) is not serviceable?..I bet the cubans could sort it!..I appreciate your reply James and i might ring your man..A half daycent rack would get me out of the woods..Regards HJ.

ovlov236 Oct 8th, 2019 20:55

power steering rack

Give Steve In The Parts Dept At Braydons A Ring He May Have One In Stock or source a secondhand one joe ....... Louise

l

honestjoe Oct 8th, 2019 22:35

****e!..I did not think braydons were about anymore..I"ve been on mars for a while..I did use them in the past and most satisfied..Thanks..Louise.

honestjoe Oct 10th, 2019 09:23

I had a quote from a well known dealership...cough!..£800..ha ha!....HA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!...Time for a lie down and maybe a large whiskey!..hj.

honestjoe Oct 10th, 2019 11:14

A fine person called 240brick has a rack from a 91 se..just want to make sure it will fit my 88 dl..is it just a straight swap?...hj.

AlexO Oct 10th, 2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by honestjoe (Post 2561471)
A fine person called 240brick has a rack from a 91 se..just want to make sure it will fit my 88 dl..is it just a straight swap?...hj.

Joe,

The only difference I'm aware of is between power and manual racks which have different lower strut balljoints. Something in the back of my mind tells me there might be another difference between early- and late-style racks but I think the '88 and '91 racks should be interchangeable.

Alex

honestjoe Oct 10th, 2019 11:52

Thanks Alex..Thats good to know..hj.

honestjoe Oct 22nd, 2019 19:44

Well..its done..passed mot today..as i said failed on rack, handbrake shoes, and reg plate lights...I would like to say thanks to 240brick for the replacement rack and ovlov for all their help..The job went fairly straight forward..The awkward parts were the uj connected to the rack spline (removing and installation)..just tea and patience with this job..I would appreciate any help with the correct way to bleed the system I think there maybe still some air in it due to stiffness of power steering when left for a period of time..Thanks again all..hj.