Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   LPG: When will people learn! (???) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290215)

XCR Jan 4th, 2019 00:11

What always occurs to me, when the subject of electric cars comes up, is how on earth are most folk going to recharge them ?
Imagine you live in a tower block or terraced housing where parking outside your own house or flat is often impossible.....couple that with working in a town centre where you use local street parking or an NCP.....or a large out of town factory with a car park the size of a small village......
They haven't really thought this through have they ?
LPG. Its cheap, clean and safe. My next vehicle will have a V8 and gas.

mentepazza Jan 4th, 2019 09:40

We run LPG beacuse it’s cheap not because eco friendly. Shortly this is the truth.v8 lpg is saving you money but will not be eco friendly (even if more eco friendly than running the v8 with petrol).
Most of the Uk conversions are big engine and it’s difficult to discuss with any MP and convince them your are trying to save the planet running a V8 engine.

classicswede Jan 4th, 2019 16:25

It had traditionaly just been big engines being converted but the trend has changed and a LOT of small cars with small engines are being converted.

Even just over 10 years when I was working for one of the main UK kit suppliers at the time the trend had changed. 15 years ago they were selling about equal numbers of 4 and 8 cylinder kits and a fair bit less 6 cylinder. When I left it was about double 3/4 cylinder kits over the the 5/6 and 8 cylinder kits combined.

Even petrol/electric cars are being converted. As a country we need to think about the environment but as individuals we think with our pocket so financial incentives are the way to make change

CNGBiFuel Jan 4th, 2019 23:01

I will add one more point to this. Let us assume for one second that LPG's detractors are correct. Even with this a given, how often would the likes of an average LPG professional need to be at my 'unreliable heap' for me to be out of pocket?

Most cars, when they do have LPG issues, still run petrol. I'm sure it happens, but few actually leave owners stranded. And whilst it hasn't happened yet, if it did, with me up on the deal to date, I'd not cry.

I just wouldn't be too pleased. I reckon I'd live, so I still don't grasp what'd be so terrible with even the worst of examples. Now that it's a given that mine's an 'unreliable heap', the odds remain heavily stacked in my favour. With my eye on both major costs, I'm still left to run a car for a helluva lot less than most of you.

XC90Mk1 Jan 6th, 2019 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2481630)
I will add one more point to this. Let us assume for one second that LPG's detractors are correct. Even with this a given, how often would the likes of an average LPG professional need to be at my 'unreliable heap' for me to be out of pocket?

Most cars, when they do have LPG issues, still run petrol. I'm sure it happens, but few actually leave owners stranded. And whilst it hasn't happened yet, if it did, with me up on the deal to date, I'd not cry.

I just wouldn't be too pleased. I reckon I'd live, so I still don't grasp what'd be so terrible with even the worst of examples. Now that it's a given that mine's an 'unreliable heap', the odds remain heavily stacked in my favour. With my eye on both major costs, I'm still left to run a car for a helluva lot less than most of you.

I think you only have to look at Vauxhall’s and Saab who have both released dual fuel petrol and lpg with negligible premiums.

If LPG was half price and reliable then that’s it, game over for single fuel, everyone would be out running these vehicles.

They didn’t take off and I would not have one unless I was semi retired and able to spend the time they need.

HDAV Jan 6th, 2019 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel (Post 2480892)
Commenting on the woes of another in this forum I read....

I for one have saved best part of the price of a very decent car. In the time it takes to understand, few of us earn enough to be better off doing something else.

So you saved the cost of a decent car by not driving one? Congratulations

No pockets in shrouds my friend.....

XC90Mk1 Jan 6th, 2019 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDAV (Post 2482233)
So you saved the cost of a decent car by not driving one? Congratulations

No pockets in shrouds my friend.....

To be honest I never actually felt safe in some of the LPG heaps I rode in.

HDAV Jan 6th, 2019 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2482222)
I think you only have to look at Vauxhall’s and Saab who have both released dual fuel petrol and lpg with negligible premiums.

If LPG was half price and reliable then that’s it, game over for single fuel, everyone would be out running these vehicles.

They didn’t take off and I would not have one unless I was semi retired and able to spend the time they need.

A mate had an ex calor gas lpg Astra years ago, was a dog but cost 7p a mile and had a range of around 700mile on both tanks brimmed (in cold weather :shocked: )

When doing 800 miles a week and being paid 40p/25p a mile it ended up being a great financial move shame he didn’t save any of it and it was shagged by the end of its time after all it was an Astra.....

I had a Astra 2.0D at same time .......apart from a propensity for front tyres the 2.0d managed the mileage better despite being older and higher mileage another mate had a 1.6 megane :omg_smile:

mentepazza Jan 6th, 2019 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2482238)

Because you don’t know how it works. It S safer than running petrol.

HDAV Jan 6th, 2019 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2482238)

Just don’t rear end one! The rear crumple zone is replaced with some box section that makes a defenders rear end look like a nice place to park.....

That’s the factory authorised conversions..... the back street garage sling a tank in where it fits and tack it down jobs.......