Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   hydraulic vs mechanical aux belt tensioner (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=320111)

long11 Sep 21st, 2021 16:46

hydraulic vs mechanical aux belt tensioner

Hi,

I've recently bought a 2011 XC60 DrivE (5cylinder 2lt), I've read that there was a recall for replacing the tensioner for a mechanical version. I called my local Volvo dealer today who said that that recall expired in 2018 and he was unable to tell if my car had had it applied, but he did book me in for the seat belt receiver recall.
Looking in on the belt itself, it needs to be changed, v.v.soon, I'd also like to change the tensioner while I'm in there but without removing the arch liner, is there a way to tell which one my car currently has?

Thanks

long11 Sep 21st, 2021 16:58

2 Attachment(s)
Maybe photos might help :-)
I've attached 2 photos, one from my engine (note worn belt) and one from ebay, is the ebay photo a hydraulic or mechanical? Same as my own? Is there a torx only on the mechanical and a bolt only on the hydraulic or anything similar that would tell me which is which?

Oh, last question (belt related) the aircon compressor belt... how do you release the tension to replace that or is it a stretch belt? Mine looks a bit... "baggy" but not loose.

Thanks again

Kev0607 Sep 21st, 2021 17:14

The air con belt is a stretch type. It has no tensioner, but its a tight fit around the pulleys. You may as well change the a/c belt too.

I don’t know how to identify the mechanical or hydraulic tensioners. Hopefully someone else can explain.

Are you getting the cam belt replaced? The car is 10 years old now, so I assume its technically due by age alone.

long11 Sep 21st, 2021 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2772353)
The air con belt is a stretch type. It has no tensioner, but its a tight fit around the pulleys.

You may as well change the a/c belt too.

The Ebay pic looks like a mechanical tensioner.

Great, just the belt to order for the AC, ta.

Re tensioner, ah Ok, np. I'm hoping to discover its obvious either by sight or feel :-)

Cambelt and water pump were done 45k miles ago.

Tannaton Sep 21st, 2021 17:28

If you order one from one of the few dealers selling parts at trade prices on e-bay, if you provide your reg number or VIN number they will match the correct part in seconds.

Kev0607 Sep 21st, 2021 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2772359)
If you order one from one of the few dealers selling parts at trade prices on e-bay, if you provide your reg number or VIN number they will match the correct part in seconds.

Sound advice.

@original poster…

Search for volvopartstrade on EBay. Send them a message with your VIN or reg & they’ll tell you the part you need. I assume they deliver to Ireland too for extra cost, but its worth checking.

I suggest buying genuine Volvo. You don’t want to skimp in this area, as these are critical parts.

I see you’re based in Galway. What part? I have family there. :regular_smile:

long11 Sep 21st, 2021 18:07

Thanks for the pointers, I'll get in touch with them. For now I've just ordered the belts (collection tomorrow) as they need to be done ASAP.

I'm east of Galway city, Oranmore/Clarinbridge/Craughwell area :-)

cheshired5 Sep 21st, 2021 18:33

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...2&d=1632239753
The tensioner in the photo is mechanical.
It's what they used on early D5 and completely problem free but someone decided to "fix" it with a hydraulic unit.

It's basically a very strong spring which is overcome with a T60 torx on a decent length ratchet for leverage.

Turn it counter clockwise to release aux belt tension then slip the belt off.

long11 Sep 21st, 2021 21:13

Thanks for the confirmation👍
If the tensioner pulley feels ok I take it I should leave it alone or what is the consensus generally?

Kev0607 Sep 22nd, 2021 15:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by long11 (Post 2772436)
Thanks for the confirmation👍
If the tensioner pulley feels ok I take it I should leave it alone or what is the consensus generally?

The car is 10 years old, so the tensioner should be replaced. It makes sense if you’re changing the belt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by long11 (Post 2772376)
Thanks for the pointers, I'll get in touch with them. For now I've just ordered the belts (collection tomorrow) as they need to be done ASAP.

I'm east of Galway city, Oranmore/Clarinbridge/Craughwell area :-)

I know Clarinbridge… I went to visit a family friend there many years ago. I’ve heard of Oranmore too, but I haven’t been there. There’s an Irish Reel called “The Bucks of Oranmore”… you’ll hear that on Midwest radio a lot. :teeth_smile:

I have family in Williamstown/Glenamaddy direction.

What does a hydraulic tensioner look like then? Is that the one with a big spring that’s exposed, like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-NEW...CABEgLEK_D_BwE