Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Exhaust clamps expected life (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313494)

Laney760 Jan 20th, 2021 19:36

Exhaust clamps expected life

Hi

I had brand 3 x new exhaust clamps in November 2018, just over 2 years ago and today I have had to have 2 of those replaced again. I thankfully noticed a strange noise last night and spotted my exhaust hanging not far from the ground!

I was thinking that they didn't last long, could this be to do with aged suspension? The clamps would have covered c20K miles but all on pretty decent roads.

volvo again Jan 20th, 2021 20:02

Wouldn't have thought it's anything to do with the suspension, more likely poor quality clamps.
Did they just break or rusty ?
If they broke it may be a sign the exhaust in not aligned properly and putting the mountings under strain.

griston64 Jan 20th, 2021 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laney760 (Post 2700748)
Hi

I had brand 3 x new exhaust clamps in November 2018, just over 2 years ago and today I have had to have 2 of those replaced again. I thankfully noticed a strange noise last night and spotted my exhaust hanging not far from the ground!

I was thinking that they didn't last long, could this be to do with aged suspension? The clamps would have covered c20K miles but all on pretty decent roads.

Cheapo U clamps that were holding my tailpipe on lasted just under 2 years. I suspect all these cheapo exhausts on Ebay will have a similar lifespan

Laney760 Jan 20th, 2021 20:38

Cheers.

Volvo again, they broke.

Exhaust place supplied and fitted them, same place as fitted the new ones, so I suspect they won't last long then! :rolleyes: On both occasions I discovered the exhaust hanging off shortly after leaving work and this place is directly on my route home. On the first occassion I was desperate with 3 clamps gone, yesterday it wasn't quite so bad with 2 gone but when you're working long hours and it's winter and you don't feel well, sometimes it's best to take the easist option! I'll get my garage to look it's alignment over on the spring service, I tend to have her serviced autumn and spring.

bob12 Jan 21st, 2021 11:15

In my experience as said above it's the quality of the band brackets and the way they just have a couple of weak spot welds connecting the band to the angled hanger, especially the one on the back box which takes a fair bit of vibration.

The last one that went on my car I welded the hanger back on to the band and no more problems.

Bob :)

volvo again Jan 21st, 2021 12:40

Have a look on Parts for Volvo online or PartsMonster on eBay, may be better quality

Bob Meadows Jan 21st, 2021 12:45

I change the standard exhaust clamps for the reasons mentioned:~

Mikalor clamps in stainless work well and last- being a flat band they do not deform the pipe that makes it very difficult to separate the joint.
Bob

mjk164 Jan 21st, 2021 19:06

Hi Laney, I think I would agree with "Volvo again"; on my 1993 960 exhaust, the alignment is essential to get right, and keep the stresses on the pipe length joints to the minimum. I always slack off everything (except the bolts on the manifold) before final tightening up. Start to secure and tighten the back end silencer first and work forwards towards the exhaust downpipes last. Since doing it this way, I've had no problem with clamps giving up early or gas leaks.

Laird Scooby Jan 21st, 2021 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Meadows (Post 2700992)
I change the standard exhaust clamps for the reasons mentioned:~

Mikalor clamps in stainless work well and last- being a flat band they do not deform the pipe that makes it very difficult to separate the joint.
Bob

Thanks for the reminder of the name of those! Need to order a pair for a special adaptor i've made for one of my downpipes........... :thumbs_up:

Laney760 Jan 21st, 2021 20:55

Thanks for all the great advice, I'll get my garage to check the alignment on the spring service and see if they recommend fitting better quality brackets. My exhaust will be 3 years old this autumn, thats when they normally start rotting out on me, looking back at exhaust bills since buying the car in 2012 I should have splurged out on a better one methinks, maybe I will when this one starts dying, I presume I can just replace section by section as it rots out.