Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Trolley Jack Pad for V90 CC 2018 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302000)

crashbarrier Jan 1st, 2020 09:43

Trolley Jack Pad for V90 CC 2018

Onto my next search. Has anyone been able to locate a suitable trolley jack pad for a 2018 V90 CC?
The car has jacking points that consist of a flat section with a round hole into which the supplied jack locates. I loathe using scissor jacks as they are both potentially dangerous and slow, and I always use a trolley jack where I can. I did not enjoy the experience yesterday when I whipped off the rear wheels to quickly fit mud flaps.

For those unsure of what I mean, it will be a thick, hard, rubber circular pad that fits into the cup of the trolley jack and both locates securely and cushions the force applied by the jack. They are car specific but all the ones offered by the internet, that I can find, are grooved ones (to protect a seam weld) where you are clearly being asked to jack elsewhere other than the recommended points. That I will not be doing even though I know that both the dealer and tyre companies will be fairly random in how they lift a car.

deepsix Jan 1st, 2020 10:01

Look for ice hockey pucks on ebay and adapt one of them maybe? I have used them on various cars either as standard or with slots cut in and tapered to fit cup in jack head.

crashbarrier Jan 1st, 2020 10:43

Thanks, deepsix. That's a good idea; I'll order one and sharpen my knife ready to whittle it into shape.
I've got one for my BMW which is circular but the top section is just the right shape to fit into the rectangular jacking point locator.

Clan Jan 1st, 2020 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashbarrier (Post 2585148)
Onto my next search. Has anyone been able to locate a suitable trolley jack pad for a 2018 V90 CC?
The car has jacking points that consist of a flat section with a round hole into which the supplied jack locates. I loathe using scissor jacks as they are both potentially dangerous and slow, and I always use a trolley jack where I can. I did not enjoy the experience yesterday when I whipped off the rear wheels to quickly fit mud flaps.

For those unsure of what I mean, it will be a thick, hard, rubber circular pad that fits into the cup of the trolley jack and both locates securely and cushions the force applied by the jack. They are car specific but all the ones offered by the internet, that I can find, are grooved ones (to protect a seam weld) where you are clearly being asked to jack elsewhere other than the recommended points. That I will not be doing even though I know that both the dealer and tyre companies will be fairly random in how they lift a car.

there are plastic pads on the underside of the sill for this purpose , have a look .. :-)

RS3100 Jan 1st, 2020 11:42

Search for the seller cav.mar1 on eBay. She sells a variety of specially shaped jacking pads made from hockey pucks. I use a variety of them on my vehicles and have found them well made and robust. If she doesn't actually stock exactly what you require I would imagine that if you gave her the measurements she would be happy to help.

nu11eaf Jan 1st, 2020 13:40

Something like this maybe.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Jack-R...edirect=mobile

crashbarrier Jan 1st, 2020 17:04

I had spotted the plastic cover over the rear jack points but I have an inbuilt reluctance to mark or score anything, even something designed for that purpose and out of sight.

Those Tesla pads look just the job but I would prefer to buy from a proper UK seller like cav.mar1. I've asked a question about the size of the centre post. I'm tired of ordering 'UK based' ebay stock and finding out that it actually comes from China (I know that it was going be from there anyway) which is why it seems to take so long to get delivered.

crashbarrier Jan 1st, 2020 17:13

OK, next jacking question................I can clearly see the rear jacking points which have the hole in and a plastic cover but the front points defeat me. I've just taken a look and can't see anything obvious apart from lower suspension members and a dubious hole in a bodywork panel.
Does that hole mark the jack point?
It doesn't look right and without looking again I think the Volvo jack would end up being at an odd angle.