Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Volvo On Call (VOC) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=204523)

andymcp May 2nd, 2014 20:44

I have it and would spec again, no question. Mostly a safety thing - I do know of one real-world case where it alerted the emergency services where the driver was unable to. All it needs is a data sim, and I munch through a fair amount using TuneIn, also if on the road and need to fire off a couple of quick emails it's great to have the laptop hook straight up to the in-car wifi. Much better than the usual drag of waiting for a dongle to boot up (my opinion only).

I got a 3 data sim for £25 every 3 months with 3gb of data. Kids also swallow up data when connected on their iPods on long journeys. iMessage galore in the car :)

Chaddie May 2nd, 2014 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymcp (Post 1638229)
I have it and would spec again, no question. Mostly a safety thing - I do know of one real-world case where it alerted the emergency services where the driver was unable to. All it needs is a data sim, and I munch through a fair amount using TuneIn, also if on the road and need to fire off a couple of quick emails it's great to have the laptop hook straight up to the in-car wifi. Much better than the usual drag of waiting for a dongle to boot up (my opinion only).

I got a 3 data sim for £25 every 3 months with 3gb of data. Kids also swallow up data when connected on their iPods on long journeys. iMessage galore in the car :)

You might want to consider this:-

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-...28907-pdt.html

If you buy 3 of them you'll still get your 3 months with 3GB, but will cost you less than £9 rather than the £25 you're paying. Just meaning changing them every month. I've just bought 6 to use in my iPad, with luck they will last the year out.

tem May 2nd, 2014 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by andymcp (Post 1638229)

You can get 12gb for £70.49 direct from 3 and it lasts for 12 months, or sooner if you use up the allowance.

tem.

Considered1 May 2nd, 2014 21:16

Is it a regular data sim rather than a micro or nano and what happens if it runs out or you dont replace it. Does it mean it cannot then ring for help in an accident?

andymcp May 2nd, 2014 21:32

Regular size SIM, no impact if it runs out - there is a second sim buried in the car somewhere used for calls, it doesn't rely on the data one (so the VOC call for help function can roam).

I went for a 3 month sim initially to see how the 3 network performed. Done well so will go for a longer and cheaper deal next time.

Considered1 May 2nd, 2014 21:57

Cheers Andy

So will the On Call app work without a data sim in the car (other than the buried one)
Only reason I'm asking is yes its great to have a WIFI enabled car but if its just me most of the time I have data bundled into my iPhone tarrif and can tether laptops and iPads to my phone.. Music will stream from my iPhone via bluetooth so do I need to put the data sim in..

andymcp May 2nd, 2014 22:03

I believe you need a data sim for the app but not tried it. Buried sim does voice but presumably also some sort of data if the call centre can tell you details from telematics like location, direction you're facing, windows open etc. if I get a chance I'll try taking the sim out and let you know.

acb5 May 2nd, 2014 23:02

You don't need a data sim for VOC. It works via an embedded sim as noted. This works for all the VOC functions and includes the applications on the phone app. If you want to use the car apps then you need to tether via your own phone or you can use a sim in the glovebox holder. Only the glovebox sim will give you car wifi though

Considered1 May 15th, 2014 20:02

Guys which engine is VED/VEP ?

http://support.volvocars.com/uk/Page...a801517ab85585

VOC app: Engine Remote Start (ERS)

Engine Remote Start (ERS) allows you to use the VOC app to start the car’s engine to allow it to acclimatise (cool down or warm up) your car before you use it.

Engine Remote Start (ERS)
ERS allows you to cool down or warm up the car for 1-15 minutes. The car will automatically be switched off when the specified time has passed. Note that it is your responsibility to comply with local environmental regulations and laws. For information on how to use ERS, see VOC app: Manage Engine Remote Start (ERS).

You can use the ERS function even if you have a parking heater (VOC app: Remote heater start). When the weather is cold, the parking heater works to warm up the car. "Great Swedish - English translation"?

It is possible to start the engine with the ERS function in the VOC app twice in succession, then the engine has to be started with the key before you can start via the VOC app again.
Car key with ERS function
If you have a car key with the ERS function, you can use it together with the VOC app. You can, for example, start the car with the key and switch it off with the app.
Availability
Heating via ERS is available for cars equipped with VOC which meet the requirements listed below.

Car model
V70, XC70, S80, S60, V60, XC60
Model year
Gearbox
Automatic transmission
Engine
Si6, I5T, VED/VEP
ERS is available on all VOC markets (Volvo On Call - Languages and countries) except Austria, France and Germany.

MikeIOW May 16th, 2014 06:57

Oooh, a safe working remote start warmer upper could tip me over that particular edge!
Would love to know if that were true for MY15 XC's in this country!