Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC90 II Automatic Tailgate Opening (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307670)

dpgodfrey Jul 7th, 2020 20:33

XC90 II Automatic Tailgate Opening

I am concerned that when I have the bike rack fitted on the tow ball that the tailgate might open if I pass by the 'kick' sensor (I have found in the past that walking around the back could open the tailgate id walking close to the bumper). My son has a Hyundai where a button can disable opening of the tailgate.

Does such a facility exist on a 2018 XC90 as I would hate the tailgate to open onto the bike handlebar!

nu11eaf Jul 7th, 2020 20:36

You can pull the fuse to stop it working, I think fuse 15.

nu11eaf Jul 7th, 2020 20:39

You can pull the fuse to stop foot operation working, fuse 15 in cargo are fuse box
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...-in-cargo-area

gaby Jul 8th, 2020 07:07

The car senses when there is a device plugged in on the tow ball connector.
Perhaps it is smart enough to disable the foot sensor.
You may test this while the rack is out of the way.

Duri13 Jul 8th, 2020 07:51

My tailgate opened by accident when I was connecting a power cable of my bike rack, exactly as described in the original post. But no damage, it hit the bike rack after 10cm and stopped. Next time I will make sure not to have a key in my pocket, then it will not open. But once it got connected, you could safely walk around, fixing bikes etc., you will not open it.

dpgodfrey Jul 8th, 2020 09:56

Thanks for that advice - I am reassured that connecting the electrics to the towbar will disconnect the foot sensor as indeed it does the BLIS, rear fog lights etc. and I am glad I opted for the official Volvo towbar.

On the issue of the rear fuses, this is an unfortunate thing for me as I have the rear media server which is bolted in above the rear fusebox and getting to a fuse in a hurry would be nigh on impossible. A poor design point, the same as the one in the passenger footwell which should have an access trapdoor in the carpet to avoid stripping the carpet etc. out to replace a fuse.

---------------------------------------
Past MY 2013 XC90 Executive

Philip Fisher Jul 8th, 2020 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpgodfrey (Post 2645654)
Thanks for that advice - I am reassured that connecting the electrics to the towbar will disconnect the foot sensor as indeed it does the BLIS, rear fog lights etc. and I am glad I opted for the official Volvo towbar.

On the issue of the rear fuses, this is an unfortunate thing for me as I have the rear media server which is bolted in above the rear fusebox and getting to a fuse in a hurry would be nigh on impossible. A poor design point, the same as the one in the passenger footwell which should have an access trapdoor in the carpet to avoid stripping the carpet etc. out to replace a fuse.

---------------------------------------
Past MY 2013 XC90 Executive

Don't be reassured. It doesn't disable the kick sensor. It still works with the rack plugged in.

As nu11eaf said. Pull the fuse, although this might be complicated for you.

Or do as I did and install a little isolation switch in the boot area wired back to the fuse. Useful on lots of occasions.....

I have a dent in my tailgate from where it opened and hit my Thule rack.....

Although it is not just the kick sensor of course, you can still be an idiot and accidently press the open boot button in the car. I did that with 18 lengths of 3m 4x2s on the roof and of course the spoiler hit the wood and left 2x one inch long marks.....

Director76 Jul 8th, 2020 17:47

Yep, on previous Touaregs plugging in the towbar electrics completely disabled the power tailgate.

It’s not just the sensor which is a pain (I’ve learnt now to fit the bikes on the rack with the boot open, as doing the tyre ratchets up always triggers the kick sensor)

I’m a regular user of the internal tailgate release button, hit that so the boot is open by the time you’ve got round the back to grab whatever you need. Moments lapsed concentration and thats slammed into the bike rack too...

How hard would it be for Volvo to code the tailgate not to operate?? (Or rather to unlatch / latch electrically but not lift