Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 General: fitting replacement heater valve how-to (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=38516)

brens-s80 Jun 5th, 2007 20:33

fitting replacement heater valve how-to

5 Attachment(s)
hi all,

just finished installing a replacement heater valve , which i purchased from FCP Groton in the USA. In total it took about an hour and was relatively hassle free.

Make sure that the heater controls are all in the cold position and that the replacement heater valve is closed ( visually check it ) and its handy to have a basin to catch any coolant spillage.

The included instructions and fittings are really quiet good but I went for the minimilist appraoch of only replacing the valve itself.

How-to :

. remove glove box

. remove felt trim on passenger side footwell.

. remove passenger side panel ( 1 25 torq and a clocking clip )

. remove airduct tube , for better access

. undo heater valve screws ( 25 Torq)

. snip copper pipe leading into heater box coming from the old heater valve and tie wrap out of the way.

. disconnect the cold adjuster cable

. clamp off one side of the old Valve. For this I used a vice grips who's jaws had being inclosed in rubber tubing to prevent damaging pipes.

. loosen the Jubilee clip

. prise off the heater pipe ( on the side you've clamped) and then connect it into one side of the new heater valve.

. tighten up the jubilee clip.

. remove clamp and carry out the above procedure on the other pipe.

. do not fully tighten the clips as you may need to do a bit of fine positioning in order to get the controls working.

. I used a piece of foam to prevent the jubilee clips on one of the pipes rubbing (see pic for details)

. next position the valve into its final approximate postion and put a bend in the old adjuster cable so that it's at right angles to the eyelet in the white adjuster ( see pic)

. install the cable into the eyelet and try adjusting the position of the valve so that you get a fully open or closed valve dependent on position of switch.

. next loop the adjuster cable as per pic and use tie wraps to securely located the valve.

. fully tighten the jubilee clips

. carry out a few manual adjustments to ensure all is ok withteh operation of teh adjuster and the valve visually hitting its end stops..

. reinstall air duct assy, passenger side felt and side panel.

enjoy nice cold air mine was stuck closed so it was a permanent sauna.

hope this helps someone else

brendan

Velorum Jun 5th, 2007 22:49

Great description & pics

This is great stuff...............

treevolvo Sep 12th, 2010 11:13

Thanks

Exactly what I started doing this morning, got cold feet, then found this. Back out I go.

honestjoe Sep 13th, 2010 16:20

Very nicely done brendan..thats going to a real bonus for us in the future..cheers hj.