Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Engine 850: B5234T/2.3/20v/T5: Loss of power when warm (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283211)

cyclogenesis Jun 21st, 2018 09:16

Loss of power when warm

So I have looked at the many threads on the forum about stalling and loss of power but I am still at a loss. I am posting in the hope that someone will be able to shed a light.

Car is a 1996 T5 CD 220,000 miles that I have owned for 20 years. I have looked after it well and it has a good BRC LPG conversion and has achieved about 80,000 miles on gas.

MOT was only a month ago and as part of that, to get it through the emissions test. I changed plugs, air filter, leads, rotor arm and cap (all genuine volvo) and it also has a new MAF (I believe genuine Bosch).

It passed the test with flying colours and has been pulling like a train.

Earlier this week, after the wife dropped me off at the station, the car suddenly lost power, started kangarooing and stalling. The wife managed to get it home.

Looking at the threads, my first thought was coil pack, which I changed last night, so all ignition parts are new. I took it for a test drive but when it had warmed up, the engine died on me. Left it 5 seconds and it started first time and then accelerated away. As soon as my foot came off the gas, it died again. It did this regularly until I got home and the same symptoms occurred on both gas and unleaded systems. Throughout this week, there have been no codes and I know the reader is working because when I disconnected the temperature gauge, it registered a code.

Thermostat was changed only about 2 years ago, camshaft sensor about 3 years, new turbo and cambelt 2 years ago and I cannot see any loose hoses or vacuum leaks, including spraying carb cleaner and listening for note change.

I am now at a bit of a loss. I don't want to get into the game of playing sensor roulette.

My thoughts are
1. Change the temperature sensor?
2. Fuel relay (although it occurs even when I am on LPG)
3. Camshaft sensor?
3. O2 Sensor?

Or is the car just taking some time to re-learn after fitting a new coil pack?

Any thoughts please?

TA

ASt85 Jun 21st, 2018 10:16

It might be worth checking the battery connections and the engine earth strap - I had symptoms like those you describe and only realised the engine's earth strap had broken when I saw sparks coming from the broken braid at night.

Bob Meadows Jun 21st, 2018 10:43

A similar experience relates to the rotor arm- some aftermarket parts can fail quickly -if fitted? Worth a try.
Bob.

cyclogenesis Jun 22nd, 2018 13:30

So I disconnected the battery last night and so far this morning, the car seems to be behaving itself. Fingers crossed.

I may change the temperature sensor over the weekend as I bought a new on anyway. Next job likely to be the wastegate and the associated valve as I am a bit down on boost I think.