Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   first timer needs help (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=50709)

mike emslie Jan 7th, 2008 15:23

first timer needs help

help please my 99 s40 t4 is ill my electrition needs a wiring diagram. my local volvo dealer isn't to forth coming so i need to find some other way of picking up one please help. or if some one knows what could be wrong, my traction controls not working and the idl control valve aint either. i have already tried a new idl control valve which didnt sort it so im guesing that there is a wiring problem. could someone please help before i have to lots of hard earned chash to murry volvo in edinburgh.

Enigma666 Jan 7th, 2008 15:25

Have you checked for a split pipe at all?
I'm pretty sure poor idling could be caused by a split pipe?
Any more symptoms? Does it just idle rough or cut out completely?

Liberty555 Jan 7th, 2008 15:31

Mike, PM me and I'll send you the full wiring diagram.

Is the idle valve actually working? ie if you take the valve off and turn on the ignition, the valve should open slightly - don't start the car though!

You could have a leak in air as Enigma666 suggests.

As for the trac control - you can look at the wiring diagram - I don't have DSA so can't comment further!

Cheers

Enigma666 Jan 7th, 2008 15:36

Out of interest, what makes you say that the traction control is not working?
Have yo got a solid DSA light on the dash?

mike emslie Jan 7th, 2008 21:44

Evening all and many thanks for all the responses and help.

The engine cuts out completely now, it did just run rough for a while but does now cut. I've checked the pipes and cant see any splits. I bought a brand new idle control valve and changed it over, no change but when I disconnect the valve all together she purrs like a kitten, any suggestions?

Sincerely appreciate all the help

With the traction control, the DSA is on permanently and when I put on the power she spins up.

Baffler Jan 8th, 2008 04:48

Welcome to the forum...

Main Stealers aren't very forth coming...that's why we're here :D

I believe the wiring loom under the radiator gives trouble due to trapped water and corrosion which takes place so the car has a tendancy to do all sorts of strange things. Have your auto electrician check it out for any traces of swelling, furing etc.

Just another angle to come at it from :) T4's can break your heart and pocket especialy if you have a so called "Monday Morning Car"...

Enigma666 Jan 8th, 2008 09:28

My loom was knackered which was causing my ABS light to stay on.
After having the ABS module re-built etc my mechanic eventually found 2 small shorts which were causing the issue.
The loom is certainly a good place to start :)

mike emslie Jan 8th, 2008 16:58

sick t4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffler (Post 347118)
Welcome to the forum...

Main Stealers aren't very forth coming...that's why we're here :D

I believe the wiring loom under the radiator gives trouble due to trapped water and corrosion which takes place so the car has a tendancy to do all sorts of strange things. Have your auto electrician check it out for any traces of swelling, furing etc.

Just another angle to come at it from :) T4's can break your heart and pocket especialy if you have a so called "Monday Morning Car"...

Thanks for that tip someone else said the same thing not so long ago to me. How do you get the the loom under the rad, is it visable or do you need to take the rad out.

Enigma666 Jan 9th, 2008 14:40

Rad needs to come out to get full access, it's a right pain as I found out when I tried it.... The damn thing runs through the wheel well too on the front left side...perhaps worth dropping the wheel off and removing the wheel arch guard yourself and checking for any splits there perhaps?

mike emslie Jan 10th, 2008 11:13

sick t4

Thats what i thought, i had a gut felling that the rad has to come out thanks for the info i will let you all know how i get on many thanks.