Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Vehicle steering shakes at 80 mph, help (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297429)

forumoto Aug 9th, 2019 03:36

Vehicle steering shakes at 80 mph, help

This car steering shakes at 80 Mph and above, as soon as you hit the 80 the steer begin to shake unless you come down the 80.
Rims check was done, balancing was done, tires were changed ball joints were changed, CV joints were also changed.
But yet still issue persist, please I need advise.
Rotor disc was also recut or smoothed but still issue.
Thanks.

XJSDriver Aug 9th, 2019 09:51

Swap the front wheels for the back and see if still happens - if it does then elsewhere in the drive train but you have covered most things but no doubt there are others on the forum which may have experienced similar - could loose/worn engine mounts cause this??

gmonag Aug 9th, 2019 09:59

Could be wishbone bushes.

forumoto Aug 9th, 2019 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmonag (Post 2543265)
Could be wishbone bushes.

Wishbone bushes? Hmmm what is this please

forumoto Aug 9th, 2019 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by XJSDriver (Post 2543261)
Swap the front wheels for the back and see if still happens - if it does then elsewhere in the drive train but you have covered most things but no doubt there are others on the forum which may have experienced similar - could loose/worn engine mounts cause this??

Engine mounts were replaced, tires were changed to back and back to front, in fact new tires were even installed, rims were checked and balance weight was even check and placed..

cheshired5 Aug 9th, 2019 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by forumoto (Post 2543447)
Wishbone bushes? Hmmm what is this please

Wishbone A.K.A. Lower control arm.

forumoto Aug 9th, 2019 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2543459)
Wishbone A.K.A. Lower control arm.

Okay I will check the bushes and see

Dastardly Diesel Aug 10th, 2019 13:41

Get it in the air, and check every single steering g and suspension component for damage, wear, maladjustment and excessive play. To do this properly can take a while, but if you really 2ant to fix it there's no shot cut.

Then see if you can try the car on another set of wheels. Just because a wheel is balanced doesn't mean the tyre remains perfectly round once its rotating at several hundred RPM or more.

forumoto Aug 10th, 2019 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel (Post 2543609)
Get it in the air, and check every single steering g and suspension component for damage, wear, maladjustment and excessive play. To do this properly can take a while, but if you really 2ant to fix it there's no shot cut.

Then see if you can try the car on another set of wheels. Just because a wheel is balanced doesn't mean the tyre remains perfectly round once its rotating at several hundred RPM or more.

The tires were even put in balancer and was rotated at a high rpm..

paddy74 Aug 10th, 2019 15:47

It's just a guess, I had this once on my old XC90, but worth checking, if nothing else sticks.

If your brake rotor is already "smoothened" or "recut", that may be it. I once had a "height impact" (sorry, don't know the correct english word) on my rotor. That can happen. Your rotor is perfectly level in the normal vertical measuring, but has a slight impact in the height.

This can also happen to alloys, but that shouldn't be the case with you, as you have already changed the wheels back and front.