Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Towing with Four C's (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284197)

Dursley93 Jul 16th, 2018 22:15

Towing with Four C's

Is the four C's suspension system beneficial when towing? Anybody any experience please

With thanks Phil.

Tannaton Jul 25th, 2018 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dursley93 (Post 2426183)
Is the four C's suspension system beneficial when towing? Anybody any experience please

With thanks Phil.

Down to personal preference I would say... though you are likely to find the set-up more stable in Sport mode - especially if you have a XC model with longer travel suspension.

nu11eaf Aug 15th, 2018 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dursley93 (Post 2426183)

With thanks Phil.

I have air suspension on my XC90 and it performs very well but other than being self levelling, which is why I optioned it, I would not think it is more beneficial over normal XC90 suspension, which has to be able to cope with 7 passengers, as mentioned above putting it in dynamic mode makes it more stable than comfort mode.
What I have noticed is; if "easy entry/exit" is activated and you park and turn engine off, the car lowers and if the caravan brakes or on (as they normally will be due to over run hitch being pushed in) there is a loud creaking as the van nose lowers as the van brakes are on the drum and the drum moves slightly as the van nose drops, so best to de-activate easy entry/exit when towing.
I noticed it because I opened my car door before the suspension had lowered, which stops it lowering until door is closed again, then I heard the noise after closing the door.
It took me a while to figure out why my van was making this noise.

Whyman Aug 15th, 2018 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu11eaf (Post 2437603)
What I have noticed is; if "easy entry/exit" is activated and you park and turn engine off, the car lowers and if the caravan brakes or on (as they normally will be due to over run hitch being pushed in) there is a loud creaking as the van nose lowers as the van brakes are on the drum and the drum moves slightly as the van nose drops, so best to de-activate easy entry/exit when towing.
I noticed it because I opened my car door before the suspension had lowered, which stops it lowering until door is closed again, then I heard the noise after closing the door.
It took me a while to figure out why my van was making this noise.

It is probably the stabiliser in the hitch creaking as it moves on the towball as the cars lowers and the caravan follows. You also hear the noise if you are manoeuvring slowly particularly if you have the windows down and are near a building.

Paul Wildsmith Aug 15th, 2018 17:51

I've used it in advanced mode when towing on my 2009 S80 and my 2017 S90. It makes the outfit (a large d/axle van) more stable.

nu11eaf Aug 20th, 2018 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyman (Post 2437689)
It is probably the stabiliser in the hitch creaking as it moves on the towball as the cars lowers and the caravan follows. You also hear the noise if you are manoeuvring slowly particularly if you have the windows down and are near a building.

No the noise I hear comes from the wheel area not the front of the van. I know the noise you refer to which is quite normal.