Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   HELP! Any ways to soften ride? V40 R D3 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=198300)

Alleyn29 Feb 4th, 2014 09:20

HELP! Any ways to soften ride? V40 R D3

]The ride over the potholes is very hard? Any thoughts to assist? Change wheels and tyres? Can one put in softer springs? Thanks

I-S Feb 4th, 2014 12:21

I was given a v40 d2 R design as a courtesy car when our V70 SE Lux was in for work. I found the ride to be far too hard. Potholes, speed bumps, patches, broken surfaces...all were painful events.

I think the answer is to try a car on standard suspension and wheels, and look to trade for it. Trying to modify an r design to standard will cost you more in bits and insurance than swapping vehicles.

NewVolvo Feb 4th, 2014 17:29

I find our V40 D4 R-Design to be back-breaking hard! Wife love it though :)

sprout99 Feb 5th, 2014 19:47

Check tyre pressures. Ours were 38psi from factory

OldCroc Feb 5th, 2014 20:21

I think that 38 is about what they should be for the Eco pressure.

sprout99 Feb 6th, 2014 19:11

It wont help ride

Mike 700 Feb 7th, 2014 03:44

The wife & I tested a V40 Lux CC yesterday, and we found it no worse than our XC60 R Design, but the V60 R Design we also tested was a bit hard and shaky.

So, if the V40 Lux CC was ok, then perhaps there is something that can be done - at a cost, obviously??

Worth checking I guess ?

Good luck.

I-S Feb 7th, 2014 08:46

As I said, at the cost of buying and fitting all of the parts (well over 1k) and the increased insurance (as a modified vehicle) and lowered resale value, the best, easiest and most cost effective way to do it is trade in for an se lux.

Ninja59 Feb 7th, 2014 13:39

Hmm, if we ignore the parts cost initially then it is possible for it work out for the OP even keeping the current car.

The insurance from certain insurers for changing suspension is actually very reasonable (having looked into lowering the MX5 we are talking £60), additionally there would be (or should be no issue) in keeping the original parts and then getting these refitted should the car need to be sold with the originals back in place. Then allowing the OP to either sell the original or altered parts.

However I would definitely start with lower tyre pressures at 32.

MtillingVolvo Feb 7th, 2014 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-S (Post 1577423)
As I said, at the cost of buying and fitting all of the parts (well over 1k) and the increased insurance (as a modified vehicle) and lowered resale value, the best, easiest and most cost effective way to do it is trade in for an se lux.

Assuming the OP didn't opt for the sports chassis the ride will be the same on an SE Lux as an R-Design with a D3 engine as the only R-Design which comes standard with the lowered sports chassis is the D2 variants....