Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Shell fuel vs others (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=139847)

crossedover Nov 28th, 2011 21:46

Shell fuel vs others

If you click on my fuelly link you'll see of my last three fill-ups two of them were a bit more than usual at just over 36mpg and just over 37mpg. I'd say the pattern of driving was no different than normal but coincidentally and unusually I'd used Shell diesel instead of BP or Sainsburys. On both occasions I noticed straight away the indicated mpg seemed higher than normal. Coincidence or does anyone else have similar experiences? I'm talking about standard diesel not the v-max stuff or whatever it's called by the way.

I'm going to start noting the filling station in future on fuelly I think.

darbs Nov 28th, 2011 22:23

what's your average speed?

XC60MY12 Nov 29th, 2011 02:54

There was a lot of discussion about the claims made by Shell for their "Fuelsave" petrol and diesel when they first came out. I am sure I recall that someone did some tests and found there was a slight improvement in consumption. However there are so many variables that can affect consumption, that it is very difficult to prove one way or the other.

I use Shell whenever possible as it is normally cheaper than the other majors, roughly in line with supermarkets. I have a Drivers Club card which gains points and every so often I get a money-off voucher.

There were reports of engine problems when the fuels first came out but whether any were substantiated I'm not sure. All I can say is I've been using it since it first came out with no problems.

r-designbob Nov 29th, 2011 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC60Fan (Post 1036245)

I use Shell whenever possible as it is normally cheaper than the other majors, roughly in line with supermarkets. I have a Drivers Club card which gains points and every so often I get a money-off voucher.

There were reports of engine problems when the fuels first came out but whether any were substantiated I'm not sure. All I can say is I've been using it since it first came out with no problems.

Same here, except I get Air-miles. :thumbs_up:

Brodick Nov 29th, 2011 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC60Fan (Post 1036245)
There was a lot of discussion about the claims made by Shell for their "Fuelsave" petrol and diesel when they first came out. I am sure I recall that someone did some tests and found there was a slight improvement in consumption. However there are so many variables that can affect consumption, that it is very difficult to prove one way or the other.

+ 1

I have noticed an improvement in fuel economy since I switched to my winter tyres. Still to work out whether it is the tyres or just the engine starting produce better economy at nearly 5000 miles

crossedover Nov 29th, 2011 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by darbs (Post 1036140)
what's your average speed?

Well the thingy in the car that I never reset says 40mph near enough.

Probably 50% of my miles are motorway and I tend to set the cruise at a bit over indicated 70mph i.e. near enough a true 70mph.

Otherwise on NSL roads etc I tend to make "good progress" without going mad.

The current tank of Sainsburys is showing 36mpg even though no difference in driving style or journeys.

stu0710 Nov 29th, 2011 13:57

I generally use Sainsbury's or Total (my two locals) and don't notice any difference. My last test using a tankful of the 'premium' diesel actually gave poorer fuel consumption than the regular stuff?

XC60MY12 Nov 29th, 2011 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu0710 (Post 1036478)
I generally use Sainsbury's or Total (my two locals) and don't notice any difference. My last test using a tankful of the 'premium' diesel actually gave poorer fuel consumption than the regular stuff?

Did you at least get better performance for the extra cash?

stu0710 Nov 29th, 2011 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC60Fan (Post 1036543)
Did you at least get better performance for the extra cash?

Not that I noticed???

darbs Nov 29th, 2011 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossedover (Post 1036412)
Well the thingy in the car that I never reset says 40mph near enough.

Probably 50% of my miles are motorway and I tend to set the cruise at a bit over indicated 70mph i.e. near enough a true 70mph.

Otherwise on NSL roads etc I tend to make "good progress" without going mad.

The current tank of Sainsburys is showing 36mpg even though no difference in driving style or journeys.

mine says 18mph and i'm getting about 28mpg. must be something in that!