Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Re-coding Nav Unit (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282206)

CaptainSlow337 May 24th, 2018 16:00

Re-coding Nav Unit

Following on from my wanted thread, I've been an idiot.

My sat nav wasn't reading the disc, so I took it apart to clean it. I plugged it back in but wasn't fixed. I then chucked the broken unit, I wrongly assumed a replacement would just plug and play :shocked:

Anyway, I've just picked up a replacement unit on eBay and am looking into getting it coded. The local indy suggests £150/£200 for coding, and it might not even work! Is this something that can be done by anyone with the correct software?

If so, is there anyone near Southampton willing to help me out for a bit less cash?!

Clan May 24th, 2018 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 (Post 2407108)
Following on from my wanted thread, I've been an idiot.

My sat nav wasn't reading the disc, so I took it apart to clean it. I plugged it back in but wasn't fixed. I then chucked the broken unit, I wrongly assumed a replacement would just plug and play :shocked:

Anyway, I've just picked up a replacement unit on eBay and am looking into getting it coded. The local indy suggests £150/£200 for coding, and it might not even work! Is this something that can be done by anyone with the correct software?

If so, is there anyone near Southampton willing to help me out for a bit less cash?!

The navigation reader is part of the security system , it should not accept another unit with a different serial number , your best option which will work is a new blank unit which will need the original software re loading at a dealer .

CaptainSlow337 May 24th, 2018 18:33

That's not what I wanted to read. A new unit is £1300!

Theeggman May 24th, 2018 18:39

It's too late now but Central Services in Essex would probably have fixed the old unit for less than £200.

CaptainSlow337 May 24th, 2018 18:50

It's in the landfill now. Gutted.

Anubisxc70 May 24th, 2018 19:13

Better buy one chinese double din £66 buy the cables £10. And Voila. ....
Take the Wife out for dinner and have some vacations. Enjoy your £1300

reggit May 24th, 2018 19:20

Have you asked Lukaz if he can code it?

CaptainSlow337 May 24th, 2018 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anubisxc70 (Post 2407208)
Better buy one chinese double din £66 buy the cables £10. And Voila. ....
Take the Wife out for dinner and have some vacations. Enjoy your £1300

I can't cope with that. I have a pop up TV, I want it to work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggit (Post 2407214)
Have you asked Lukaz if he can code it?

Who's that?

Theeggman May 24th, 2018 20:21

He's the man /women / persons that sorts out c**p DIM's on here. Have a search on the forum for DIM issues. He / she / they know Volvo canbus etc.

:confused_smile:

Theeggman May 24th, 2018 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 (Post 2407198)
It's in the landfill now. Gutted.

The moral of this thread IS don't through it away until you're sure you don't want it!!

reggit May 24th, 2018 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theeggman (Post 2407239)
He's the man /women / persons that sorts out c**p DIM's on here. Have a search on the forum for DIM issues. He / she / they know Volvo canbus etc.

:confused_smile:

Spokoluzik on this thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=143579

CaptainSlow337 May 24th, 2018 22:00

Thanks. Have dropped him a message.

CaptainSlow337 Jul 16th, 2018 16:23

Just a quick update for those wondering (nobody I assume!)

I finally plugged the new unit into the car last night. Up popped the screen, which was a good start. I inserted a disc which the unit couldn't swallow correctly! Turns out the unit was faulty, so back to the seller it goes.

Anyone have a spare unit?

CaptainSlow337 Aug 10th, 2018 13:19

Further follow up. Original replacement unit refunded, and I purchased another. I've fitted this in the car today.

The screen pops up, it took a while to read the disc and seemed to get stuck on the "please wait" screen. I turned the car off and back on again and we have a partial success. Success in the sense that the unit works and it knows where I am on the map. Not a success in the fact the buttons on the remote or steering wheel don't seem to do anything, ie I cannot bring up the menu or close the unit down. A coding issue?

Clan Aug 10th, 2018 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 (Post 2435771)
Further follow up. Original replacement unit refunded, and I purchased another. I've fitted this in the car today.

The screen pops up, it took a while to read the disc and seemed to get stuck on the "please wait" screen. I turned the car off and back on again and we have a partial success. Success in the sense that the unit works and it knows where I am on the map. Not a success in the fact the buttons on the remote or steering wheel don't seem to do anything, ie I cannot bring up the menu or close the unit down. A coding issue?

Indeed it is , only the original unit will work on your car ,it's serial number is logged in the cars main computer and if they don't match it won't work . what is the problem with your old unit? you might be able to swap certain parts from the "new" one as long as the original board stays with the car ..

CaptainSlow337 Aug 10th, 2018 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2435775)
Indeed it is , only the original unit will work on your car ,it's serial number is logged in the cars main computer and if they don't match it won't work . what is the problem with your old unit? you might be able to swap certain parts from the "new" one as long as the original board stays with the car ..

Its in the land-fill.

Clan Aug 10th, 2018 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 (Post 2435779)
Its in the land-fill.

you are doomed ! I could never throw something as expensive at that away especially with a board coded to your car in it ...

Timmy1981 Aug 11th, 2018 00:17

Hi
I know this won't help too much but I've just fitted the sat nav unit to my 2007 d5 I used a second hand loom which I wired in to the can bus in the REM and so far so good it all works well and I have no problem with coding of the units. Every part was purchased seperatly so in theory if there linked in to the security system they shouldn't work, it even appears in VIDA .

Tim

SwissXC90 Aug 12th, 2018 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainSlow337 (Post 2435771)

Likely a part number issue
The CAN bus commands for the button presses change from model year to model year.
The main difference in the different part numbers is the CAN bus command references, their priority in the entire communications system, and thus their addresses.

Zero response to buttons indicates a nav with a different part number from a different year vehicle

Start by getting a unit with the correct part number for your vehicle, as indicated in VIDA parts catalogue

And if you do have the correct part number - then it is likely to be faulty.

I trust you are aware of the nav systems diagnostic mode? However to bring that up you need to have a working remote or steering wheel controls - ie: button presses

CaptainSlow337 Aug 13th, 2018 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2436430)
Likely a part number issue
The CAN bus commands for the button presses change from model year to model year.
The main difference in the different part numbers is the CAN bus command references, their priority in the entire communications system, and thus their addresses.

Zero response to buttons indicates a nav with a different part number from a different year vehicle

Start by getting a unit with the correct part number for your vehicle, as indicated in VIDA parts catalogue

And if you do have the correct part number - then it is likely to be faulty.

I trust you are aware of the nav systems diagnostic mode? However to bring that up you need to have a working remote or steering wheel controls - ie: button presses

Thanks for this. Useful stuff.

Rather than trying to find another unit, could this one not be coded to the car? The nav pops up and shows me on the map currently. The buttons and remote not working is the only issue it seems.

I wasn't aware of diagnostics, but as the buttons don't work I doubt it will work, but shall try!

CaptainSlow337 Sep 10th, 2018 11:58

Still trying to get this resolved. Have a trip to France in 6 weeks so would like to try and get it working before then.

I've messaged spokoluzik a few times back in May and he was willing to help, but has not responded to messages in the last few weeks, so is there anyone else who can help please?

CaptainSlow337 Jun 14th, 2019 14:22

Issue now resolved. Units are not coded to car, but you do need to find the correct replacement.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293888