Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Android Auto (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263712)

edbanger1975 Feb 15th, 2017 17:51

Android Auto

Just recieved an email from volvo uk promoting android auto. For vehicles that DON'T have apple car play they want £300 to upgrade,which includes a 2nd USB socket etc. For those with Apple car play the upgrde is complimentary.
My question is , does anyone have android auto already, and is it worth it.?
I love android phones, and plan to keep the car for many years. I hate the cars built in spotify app, and tend to Bluetooth it from my phone anyway, so it would be much easier to do it via the sensus. Does google maps integrate well on the screen?. Can you use the voice activation button on steering wheel to control it, ie 'ok google' send texts etc.
Ive just had my car sorted after the low battery warnings after my last update, and so far its behaving itself, dont want to screw it up again..lol...

familymangreg Feb 15th, 2017 17:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by edbanger1975 (Post 2236131)
Just recieved an email from volvo uk promoting android auto. For vehicles that DON'T have apple car play they want £300 to upgrade,which includes a 2nd USB socket etc. For those with Apple car play the upgrde is complimentary.
I love android phones, and plan to keep the car for many years. I hate the cars built in spotify app, and tend to Bluetooth it from my phone anyway, so it would be much easier to do it via the sensus. Does google maps integrate well on the screen?. Can you use the voice activation button on steering wheel to control it, ie 'ok google' send texts etc.
Ive just had my car sorted after the low battery warnings after my last update, and so far its behaving itself, dont want to screw it up again..lol...

I don't have AA but do have CarPlay. One thing to double check is that you get the extra USB port when its not factory installed, I'm sure I've read previously that this isn't the case. Have said that, its of limited use the the 'regular' USB port is completely disabled when you are using CarPlay (it won't even charge a device).

On CarPlay a longer press of the voice control button activates Siri rather than the standard Volvo voice control system.

:wq

mrlossyman Feb 15th, 2017 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by edbanger1975 (Post 2236131)

I think if the £300 included ACP as well it might be worth, only as long as there's a 2nd USB. I was quite furious about AA not being available for single USB car, but now I'm unsure if it's even worth the cost. Anyone have it and thinks it's great? Would you pay £300 for the luxury?

Lexman8 Feb 15th, 2017 19:15

I was looking forward to AA becoming available but having seen how it uses less than half of the Sensus screen (and can't use the driver's screen) I'm less convinced, especially as the only thing I'd really want from AA is Maps and Directions.

If there was no requirement for a 2nd USB socket (which is just plain daft) and it cost £50 then maybe but given the current state of it and its limited functionality I'm going to pass on it, for now at least.

Murph7355 Feb 15th, 2017 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrlossyman (Post 2236138)
...Would you pay £300 for the luxury?

No.

For a 2nd USB socket, I just use one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Dual-U...3D121162935268

in place of the 12v plug in the console. Tons available on line for peanuts (ours isn't the one in the link, just representative).

GMTRB5 Feb 16th, 2017 08:01

The 2nd USB socket isn't just another socket, it has additional connectivity which allows Apple CarPlay or Android auto to work... it doesn't work through the standard USB sockets.

But do agree, I paid £300 to have it in mine ... used it once and never used it again since!!

Lexman8 Feb 16th, 2017 09:51

You can download AA for free. I have it on my phone and it's actually seems pretty good on there. Extra large buttons and simple menus make it easy to use.`You get Maps, Directions, TuneIn, Spotify, etc, as well as being able to play music stored on the phone and make and receive calls, texts, etc.

If you wish, all audio can be routed to the car's audio system via Bluetooth so that music, driving directions, etc, all come via the car's speakers. Obviously you don't get steering wheel integration and "OK Google" relies upon the phone's mic.

The Spotify and TuneIn apps are far superior to the Sensus ones and with Spotify you can search for music via voice input. Also, if you've recently searched for an address on any Google device or service, AA lists it as a suggested destination so there's no need to input it yourself. You can also set AA to start automatically when it detects the car's Bluetooth.

I haven't checked whether running AA inhibits any other functions such as wifi hotspot or the normal phone integration with Sensus. Need to play with it some more.

tramman Feb 18th, 2017 12:29

Does the £300 charge refer to the factory fit option or to the cost of having the USB hub retrofitted as an accessory?

I am thinking it is the factory fit cost and having the 2nd USB installed after purchase is no go at present. This is another Volvo annoyance as when I ordered mine I was offered car play as an option which I turned down as we didn't have an iPhone but we both had android phones. I was told we would be able to get android auto at a later date, had I known I would require car play for android auto I would of definitely considered it.

NickHoward Feb 18th, 2017 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramman (Post 2237231)
Does the £300 charge refer to the factory fit option or to the cost of having the USB hub retrofitted as an accessory?

I am thinking it is the factory fit cost and having the 2nd USB installed after purchase is no go at present. This is another Volvo annoyance as when I ordered mine I was offered car play as an option which I turned down as we didn't have an iPhone but we both had android phones. I was told we would be able to get android auto at a later date, had I known I would require car play for android auto I would of definitely considered it.

Unless I am mistaken (which is very possible), I've been under the following assumption:

Adding CarPlay as a factory fit gives you the 2 USB ports.

For cars that have CarPlay - Android Auto is simply a free add on.

My dealer told me that I could add CarPlay at a later date, but I wouldn't receive the 2nd USB slot, and it would still cost £300.

I believe the same is true for Android Auto - You simply pay £300 for "Smart Phone Integration" (assuming you didn't factory order it), and this gives you the possibility of both CarPlay and Android Auto - But you would still have your 1 USB slot.

If I'm wrong, can someone correct me!

Thanks

Lexman8 Feb 18th, 2017 13:07

I think you're basically correct although no-one, including the dealers, seems able to give a definitive answer re the 2nd USB port.

On the one hand, it's been said that a 2nd port is required as the wiring of the pins is different. It's hard to see how this could be true because the wiring spec for USB ports is tightly specified by international bodies and I doubt if Volvo, Google or (even) Apple could change that without possibly introducing massive incompatibilities with connected devices.

On the other hand, it's been said that what's actually required is a USB hub that is missing on MY16 cars but became standard on MY17. Apparently, the hub is hidden and still only presents 1 USB port to users anyway. This might explain why you don't get/need a second USB port and implies that Volvo are charging £300 for software that Apple and Google probably supply for just a few dollars. In other words, Volvo might be taking the p*ss.

As usual, other opinions are available.