Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Please help me spend some money! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=96873)

capt jack May 30th, 2010 20:30

Please help me spend some money!

I'm looking to buy an older Volvo - nothing so unusual about that, but I really don't know what to go for, so I'd like to get some opinions on here. I already own a 97 V70 as my every day car, it is a fantastic car and it's here to stay.

In the past I've owned a 740, several 240s, a 940, a 360, a couple of V70s (as company cars, so they were brand new), an S70, and an 1800ES.

I don't really like the phrase 'hobby car', but I guess it describes what I'm looking for! I love the idea of a 164, and have been looking for a year or so now, but after numerous disappointments, I have yet to find one that fits the bill. I also love the 240 - the flat-fronts and the later models, especially the 82-84 models with the 260-style nose. I've also given thought to a 144, but it's always the 240 or 164 that I come back to. I'm after a saloon rather than an estate, and I prefer automatics.

Having had both 2 litre and 2.3 litre red-block cars before I prefer the 2.3, especially with an automatic gearbox. I've also had B20 and B21 cars with 3-speed BW-35 boxes and I'd be reluctant to repeat either experience!

I want to be able to use the car for occasional weekend outings to VOC meetings, and perhaps now and again as an alternative to the V70 for my daily 60-mile round trip commute along the M62 and down the A1. SWMBO says the she and the kids can only come in my 'new' car if it comes close to the overall safety of our current S70 and V70 cars - that means seat-belts and headrests all round as a minimum.

I'm a reasonably competent DIY mechanic, but I don't have the facilities, skills, cash or desire to take on a major restoration. I want to be able to fettle and polish, service and improve maybe not to concours, but certainly to a high standard. Crucially, spares availability needs to be pretty good, and I need to keep a lid on the cost of spares too.

I get all excited at the very thought of a pale grey or white 164, but I'm concerned that although I love the looks (and the tax-free status), the reliability, safety and driveability don't really come up to modern standards. On the other hand a late 70's or early 80's 240 absolutely hits the mark in practical terms, but although I really like the 240, it doesn't have quite the 'round headlamp, 6-cylinder and leather' appeal of the 164.

Finally, I reckon that I should be able to buy my 240 for well under £1000 - maybe even around £500. On the other hand, a reasonable 164 - if I ever find one - will come in above the £1000 mark - and then almost certainly require further spending. I'd reckon that the 164 has by far the bigger potential to become a serious money-pit!

So, my question for your consideration is it 'heart first, head second' and hold out for a 164, or 'head first and heart second' and snap up a 240? I have thought of getting both a 240 and a 164, but SWMBO would definitely not be impressed! We've room in the garage for one only!

One final final thing, I loved my 1800ES for it's looks and head-turning kerb appeal, but realistically, it's 1960s design and technology always left me wishing it was just a bit more modern.

What do you think?

Cheers

Jack

the alarming man May 30th, 2010 21:18

seeing as i am selling my 240 estate at the moment (as i just dont get the time to use it) i would say go for a 240..good cars :thumbs_up:

Jim760 May 30th, 2010 21:31

i thought htis was going to be a nigerian scaming post lol

great, now i said that i'l be getting PM's "im nigerian and im offended" well dont blame me!

id stick with the old school and go 740/760 GLT flatnose estate

sirSTUpid May 30th, 2010 21:42

My vote goes with the 164!! Cos if you buy anything else even if it makes sense on several levels you just KNOW that you'll wish in your heart of hearts that you had waited for a 164!! And from that point of view you'll never be truly happy with whatever you buy instead of one http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/madhouse/dash2.gif

244T May 30th, 2010 21:45

480!

Cheap, economical, reliable, quick, safe, rare, when did you last see one the road.
Its a car you can enjoy without having to spend hours keeping it on the road, my opinion

john h May 31st, 2010 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirSTUpid (Post 679028)
My vote goes with the 164!! Cos if you buy anything else even if it makes sense on several levels you just KNOW that you'll wish in your heart of hearts that you had waited for a 164!! And from that point of view you'll never be truly happy with whatever you buy instead of one http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/madhouse/dash2.gif

Well I'm very biased of course, but I agree absolutely with the comments above.

I think you know what you really want and anything else will just be a substitute.

A really good 164 at, say, £2-3000 will hold it's value if rustproofed well and carefully maintained, because of the rarity value. So the overall cost of ownership does not need to be high.

Wafting along behind that purring straight six is a very special experience; I say hold out for a 164!

John

Oilydad May 31st, 2010 15:46

What about 2 for the price of one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1972-VOLVO-164...item4aa1930d6a

Now that's a project.........and if I had the space, I'd take it on myself!!

What's more these WOULD be tax exempt, and the spare parts that are being offered WITH the car are worth what's being asked alone.

Oilydad May 31st, 2010 15:51

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot the picture!!

john h May 31st, 2010 16:18

Capt Jack and I have both viewed these cars... his search continues.

John

capt jack May 31st, 2010 16:49

Ok - I'm holding out for that perfect (or should that be purr-fect) 164!!!!!

As for the E-bay twins........
Quote:

Originally Posted by john h (Post 679329)
Capt Jack and I have both viewed these cars... his search continues.

John

............enough said :animal-smiley-075:!

Cheers

Jack