Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 trolley jack (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307773)

TeamG Jul 10th, 2020 21:30

XC60 trolley jack

I need a new trolley jack. My 20+ yr old Halfords special is showing its age. Too high to get under my V70 without lifting up 5-10mm at the wheel arch to slide it under. Too low for my XC60, so I need to prop it on a pair of 4” fence post off cuts.

I’d like something that will last me another 20+ years, low profile but high lift. Any suggestions for a quality jack that will fit the height range?

Whyman Jul 10th, 2020 21:33

Try SGS Engineering of Derby they have a full range of trolley jacks and should be able to sort you one out. Good website.

alf27 Jul 10th, 2020 22:52

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563...-short-chassis

Is what I use. Does the job !

TeamG Jul 11th, 2020 07:25

The smaller reach jacks will do the front wheels of the XC60, but not enough to get the rears off the ground. You need approx. 450-460mm for that. The XC60 has also twisted my 2T Halfords trolley jack, so 3T is a must.

The V70 sits about 140mm to the sill jacking point, but if you want to lift under the subframe, then you need a jack with a minimum height 125-130mm.

In the end, I went for an SGS 3T low profile/high lift jack at £119.99. Quickest delivery was via eBay (ordered Saturday, due Tuesday). Same price as SGS directly via website. Lift range is 98-535mm, which will suit my needs well. I’ll use an ice hockey puck with a slot, which is 24mm high and 10mm deep slot. This will likely suit my future needs for all cars.

Next purchase will be some better axle stands, but that will have to wait. I’ve spent a bloody fortune online during lockdown.

TeamG Jul 13th, 2020 14:14

A bit of a coincidence. My 2T Halfords trolley jack failed on me this weekend. I noticed it slowly losing height and assumed I’d left the hydraulic release valve open, but it was actually the arm failing in lateral torsional buckling. It’s yielded into a permanent slight twist, so when lowered doesn’t go all the way down as it strikes the frame on one side. It had a front corner of the XC60 up (jack on two 4” fence post off cuts), so was taking quite a bit of load from the two nearest corners too. Not a huge twist, but certainly visibly noticeable and I won’t trust it again.

4x4 Jul 13th, 2020 15:57

I wouldn’t use anything Sealey or Clarke, they are cheaply made and don’t last. SGS seem to get a good name but I’ve never used their jacks. Costco do a nice Arcan jack which is a quality item, they occasionally have an aluminium version which is lightweight and easy to lift into the boot of the car which is what I would recommend if you can obtain one

BobS Jul 13th, 2020 16:27

Hi,

I needed to buy a new jack for using on the XC60 as the cheap and cheery small Jacks (2Ton) I had were not up to the job.

I purchased a Sealey 3290CX (sorry 4 x 4) and found it a totally different beast to my older smaller jacks.

First it weighs a ton. I can only just lift it. The old 2 ton ones I can lift with 1 hand!
All the joints and components etc are substantial.
It has a wider wheel base for better stability.
It is a totally different design eg. the lever arm is fixed and you turn it to release with a controllable action to slowly lower the car.

It will easily lift the XC60 wheels off the ground using body jacking points.

I don't claim it's a professional commercial garage tool used several times a day. But it is sturdy and compedent tool for my use.

PS. I would never trust a jack and always use additional support of Jack Stands.

PS It cost me £80 3 years ago.
Bob

4x4 Jul 13th, 2020 17:41

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobS (Post 2647038)
...I purchased a Sealey 3290CX (sorry 4 x 4) and found it a totally different beast to my older smaller jacks...

Yes it will work for a couple of years then it will start leaking. I still use my father’s 3 tonne Epco trolley jack which is now over 50 years old and it doesn’t leak. The only downside Is the weight of it as lifting it into the back of the car could easily put your back out

3 tonne Epco, 2 tonne Arcan aluminium, cheap trolley jack for trailer, 20 tonne Scania bottle jack.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/attac...1&d=1594658404

benr7310 Jul 13th, 2020 20:36

I use an arcan 2t jack from costco for my V60.I've known race teams who use and abuse the same jack for its reliability.

They no longer sell that one but do sell an arcan 3t jack which lifts to 500mm, and has solid reviews.

Kev0607 Jul 13th, 2020 23:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamG (Post 2646988)
A bit of a coincidence. My 2T Halfords trolley jack failed on me this weekend. I noticed it slowly losing height and assumed I’d left the hydraulic release valve open, but it was actually the arm failing in lateral torsional buckling. It’s yielded into a permanent slight twist, so when lowered doesn’t go all the way down as it strikes the frame on one side. It had a front corner of the XC60 up (jack on two 4” fence post off cuts), so was taking quite a bit of load from the two nearest corners too. Not a huge twist, but certainly visibly noticeable and I won’t trust it again.

Never trust a jack on its own, even a new one. Always use jack stands!