Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Good price on Volvo service parts! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=313042)

Bomster Jan 4th, 2021 21:48

Good price on Volvo service parts!

Hi all,

I'm doing a service on my 2011 XC70 in the next few weeks, and I tracked down some good prices on genuine Volvo bits online:

Air filter 31370161 £15
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...wAAOSw6ABdnyEv

Pollen filter (activated carbon model for cars with ECC) 31390880 £30
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...0/313328126694

Oil filter: 30788490 & Sump plug washer: 977751 £12
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...7/233789541248

£57 delivered for genuine pollen, air and oil filter seems like a great deal.

Hope this is useful to someone :teeth_smile:

XC90Mk1 Jan 4th, 2021 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomster (Post 2695047)
Hi all,

I'm doing a service on my 2011 XC70 in the next few weeks, and I tracked down some good prices on genuine Volvo bits online:

Air filter 31370161 £15
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...wAAOSw6ABdnyEv

Pollen filter (activated carbon model for cars with ECC) 31390880 £30
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...0/313328126694

Oil filter: 30788490 & Sump plug washer: 977751 £12
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-V...7/233789541248

£57 delivered for genuine pollen, air and oil filter seems like a great deal.

Hope this is useful to someone :teeth_smile:

That is good yes! For those of you who wish to maintain Volvo parts it is always worth giving Eastbourne Volvo parts (Chris or Ashley) a call as they are extremely competitive and all parts are supplied with a Volvo headed invoice.

Kev0607 Jan 5th, 2021 00:47

Volvo filters are made by Mann, not by Volvo. When you buy "genuine parts", Volvo put their stamps on the Mann filters & charge you extra for the privilege.

Have a look at the writing on the genuine oil filter closely for example & its highly likely you'll see both the Mann stamp & the Volvo one. :regular_smile:

I'm servicing my S80 soon myself. I bought Mann parts from a local store, as they (Mann) manufacture the filters for Volvo after all. The oil filter was £8 & the air filter was £14. That's not a major difference to what you paid for those particular parts, but there's still a difference all the same for the identical thing without a Volvo badge on it. :teeth_smile:

XC90Mk1 Jan 5th, 2021 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695096)
Volvo filters are made by Mann, not by Volvo. When you buy "genuine parts", Volvo put their stamps on the Mann filters & charge you extra for the privilege.

Have a look at the writing on the genuine oil filter closely for example & its highly likely you'll see both the Mann stamp & the Volvo one. :regular_smile:

I'm servicing my S80 soon myself. I bought Mann parts from a local store, as they (Mann) manufacture the filters for Volvo after all. The oil filter was £8 & the air filter was £14. That's not a major difference to what you paid for those particular parts, but there's still a difference all the same for the identical thing without a Volvo badge on it. :teeth_smile:

That’s very interesting, yes, I service my own Volvo (oil every 6k) and i always note that the filter says ‘Volvo Mann’.

I paid £15,000 for mine (some time ago) so for me the extra £10.00 or £20.00 for an oil filter, oil, sump plug washer and oil was worth it for the stacks of Volvo headed paper I have.

Discs and pads etc have lasted 40,000 miles with life left (even the pads) so on the whole I have found the Volvo items to be good value.

Of course my car is now 8 years old with almost 110,000 miles on the clock so I may start going non genuine at some point in the future.

Bomster Jan 5th, 2021 10:09

Quote:

Thanks for that info, next time I will probably go Mann then next time unless I can find Volvo stuff this cheap again.

Out of interest what route do you take for the pollen filter? I note the 'rrp' for the Volvo part is north of £40! That's for the ECC equipped cars, the non-ECC models filter is much cheaper (not sure why?).

Kev0607 Jan 5th, 2021 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2695119)
That’s very interesting, yes, I service my own Volvo (oil every 6k) and i always note that the filter says ‘Volvo Mann’.

I paid £15,000 for mine (some time ago) so for me the extra £10.00 or £20.00 for an oil filter, oil, sump plug washer and oil was worth it for the stacks of Volvo headed paper I have.

Discs and pads etc have lasted 40,000 miles with life left (even the pads) so on the whole I have found the Volvo items to be good value.

Of course my car is now 8 years old with almost 110,000 miles on the clock so I may start going non genuine at some point in the future.

Mann filters are great. You'll save a few quid by buying a Mann filter in its own packaging, as opposed to the same filter in Volvo packaging, Lets be honest, the filter Volvo sell you is a Mann one anyway! Being truthful, you aren't going to save a fortune either, but its money in your pocket all the same. A saving is a saving in my book! :regular_smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomster (Post 2695138)
Thanks for that info, next time I will probably go Mann then next time unless I can find Volvo stuff this cheap again.

Out of interest what route do you take for the pollen filter? I note the 'rrp' for the Volvo part is north of £40! That's for the ECC equipped cars, the non-ECC models filter is much cheaper (not sure why?).

There's two types of filter, a charcoal one (dark grey colour) & a non-charcoal (pure white). I buy the cheaper (non-charcoal/white) one, as I replace them regularly due to my allergies. The carbon filter is dearer, but any time I've had a car serviced, they put the cheaper one in anyway! A dealership probably would put the dearer charcoal filter in though if they were servicing the car, but it makes no difference to me because I frequently change the pollen filter anyway. As my car hasn't been to the dealership for servicing since I've owned it, I've found the cheaper filter fine being honest.

Pollen filters are often a forgotten item... many people just leave them for years on end! I wouldn't & couldn't for that matter, as I'm very sensitive to dust etc. I change mine every year usually.

Bonefishblues Jan 5th, 2021 16:32

Quote:

£7.65 at CarParts4U or whatever they're called (with free delivery at £15+) you must be made of money guv :eek:

cheshired5 Jan 5th, 2021 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomster (Post 2695138)
what route do you take for the pollen filter?..... non-ECC models filter is much cheaper (not sure why?).

They're generally non activated carbon and thinner than ECC filters.
When I did a service on an XC90 here, the non ECC filter was fitted so I installed the correct one.
Mahle is generally the maker of genuine Volvo cabin filters but having used them too, Mann just as good I'm sure.

Bonefishblues Jan 5th, 2021 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2695263)
When I did a service on an XC90 here, the non ECC filter was fitted so I installed the correct one.
Mahle is generally the maker of genuine Volvo cabin filters but having used them too, Mann just as good I'm sure.

Worth saying never, but never go Crosland. Awful stuff.

Kev0607 Jan 5th, 2021 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2695262)
£7.65 at CarParts4U or whatever they're called (with free delivery at £15+) you must be made of money guv :eek:

I wish I was! However, the local parts store to me (just a small independent shop) has been very good to me over the years, so I support them. As its only up the road, I can collect whatever I order usually within the hour & no faffing around waiting for deliveries.

Bonefishblues Jan 5th, 2021 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695268)
I wish I was! However, the local parts store to me (just a small independent shop) has been very good to me over the years, so I support them. As its only up the road, I can collect whatever I order usually within the hour & no faffing around waiting for deliveries.

It's good to have something like that local - I'd pay that extra 35p to retain it, too!

Bomster Jan 5th, 2021 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 2695263)

Thanks for that info! Will take a look at Mann and Mahle for the pollen filter when it comes to my next service for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695260)
Mann filters are great. You'll save a few quid by buying a Mann filter in its own packaging, as opposed to the same filter in Volvo packaging, Lets be honest, the filter Volvo sell you is a Mann one anyway! Being truthful, you aren't going to save a fortune either, but its money in your pocket all the same. A saving is a saving in my book! :regular_smile:

There's two types of filter, a charcoal one (dark grey colour) & a non-charcoal (pure white). I buy the cheaper (non-charcoal/white) one, as I replace them regularly due to my allergies. The carbon filter is dearer, but any time I've had a car serviced, they put the cheaper one in anyway! A dealership probably would put the dearer charcoal filter in though if they were servicing the car, but it makes no difference to me because I frequently change the pollen filter anyway. As my car hasn't been to the dealership for servicing since I've owned it, I've found the cheaper filter fine being honest.

Pollen filters are often a forgotten item... many people just leave them for years on end! I wouldn't & couldn't for that matter, as I'm very sensitive to dust etc. I change mine every year usually.

Couldn't agree more ref buying the same filters without the Volvo packaging, will definitely be going Mann for the oil filter next time, I see it's £7 delivered on Amazon!

Ref the pollen filter, I'm of the same mind, it's a quality (and probably length!) of life improvement. I did a bit of reading earlier today on the benefits of the active carbon, seems there is lots of science behind how they work, pulling out more pollutants from the air vs a regular filter. Might be worth going for on your next service?

Montana Jan 5th, 2021 21:51

I bought a couple of these oil filters , genuine for £4.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124123369476

Kev0607 Jan 5th, 2021 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomster (Post 2695307)
Thanks for that info! Will take a look at Mann and Mahle for the pollen filter when it comes to my next service for sure.

Couldn't agree more ref buying the same filters without the Volvo packaging, will definitely be going Mann for the oil filter next time, I see it's £7 delivered on Amazon!

Ref the pollen filter, I'm of the same mind, it's a quality (and probably length!) of life improvement. I did a bit of reading earlier today on the benefits of the active carbon, seems there is lots of science behind how they work, pulling out more pollutants from the air vs a regular filter. Might be worth going for on your next service?

Being honest, I've never bought the carbon filter for any car I've owned. I've already purchased the oil filter, air filter, fuel filter (Mann) & the "non charcoal" pollen filter (also Mann). I haven't read up on the benefits of the active carbon pollen filters, but I suppose its something I should do because like I mentioned before, I do suffer from allergies quite badly & the carbon filter probably is better.

I know this may sound daft, but I can pretty much smell when the filter needs to be changed & even start sneezing on some occasions (hence why I change mine regularly). I remember in my Dad's last car, I got into it & said there was a smell of dust when the vents were blowing air. He hadn't owned it long at the time, but I said to him that the pollen filter needs to be changed as soon as. So I changed it for him & my goodness, the pollen filter was disgusting. He couldn't smell anything though!

Just on the subject of Mann filters... I've found that the oil filter doesn't seem to come with a new sump plug washer & I have to buy one separately. Its not the end of the world, but that's something in my experience that I've noticed with every Mann oil filter I've purchased. That aside, the filters are excellent.

Does anyone know where I can buy a set of sump plug washers that fit the S80 & V70 P3's? They'd be handy to have in the garage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montana (Post 2695429)
I bought a couple of these oil filters , genuine for £4.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124123369476

That's a bargain!

XC90Mk1 Jan 5th, 2021 22:25

Only comment I would make here is that I have always achieved a v.good price when selling my used cars privately as I retain all service records written up in a folder with date and mileage.

In my instance I have about 12 pages of official ‘Volvo’ headed invoices and have probably paid less than £125 for the privilege.

I believe I will more than recoup that on a car probably still worth £8,000 or more (don’t know? 2012 SE Lux with 3 owners and great condition).

Now of course, if you buy your cars for sun 6K and run them into the ground no issues just buy Mann, Mahle and if needs must Framm.

I would agree to not bother with cross land. That stuff is sun standard.

Bomster Jan 6th, 2021 00:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2695439)
Only comment I would make here is that I have always achieved a v.good price when selling my used cars privately as I retain all service records written up in a folder with date and mileage.

In my instance I have about 12 pages of official ‘Volvo’ headed invoices and have probably paid less than £125 for the privilege.

I believe I will more than recoup that on a car probably still worth £8,000 or more (don’t know? 2012 SE Lux with 3 owners and great condition).

Now of course, if you buy your cars for sun 6K and run them into the ground no issues just buy Mann, Mahle and if needs must Framm.

Yeah they are my thoughts too. In most situations with a car at this point in it's depreciation curve you are better off:

1. You keep the car 'forever', obviously better saving the money and doing it yourself.

2. You keep it medium term and do enough services yourself that any potential loss in value is offset by the cost savings of doing it yourself.

3. You sell it short term, it's just a case of waiting for someone sensible who can tell the car is enthusiast owned, and DIY services are backed up with receipts/reports. I know when I'm buying a car, I'd actually see this is a positive vs most cars which have a history of being services at unknown garages/Kwik Fit etc. They are usually the same owners who have mechanical sympathy for their cars; let the oil come up to temp before 'booting it', let the car cool down after a hard run, don't leave it idling unnecessarily etc.

The only was you lose is if you trade the car in, as they will never accept DIY services.

Overall though it's just satisfying knowing the job has been done correctly, using the best parts. The cherry on top is the cost saving.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695431)
Does anyone know where I can buy a set of sump plug washers that fit the S80 & V70 P3's? They'd be handy to have in the garage.

That would definitely be handy! I see it usually ends up costing like £3 once posted for that washer, which isn't too much money but seems a bit excessive for what must be about 2 pence worth of metal haha.

Kev0607 Jan 6th, 2021 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2695439)

Mann manufacture high quality filters & supply them to Volvo. There's no difference between the filter you buy from Volvo & the filter you buy in Mann packaging... they're identical. The only difference is the filter you buy from the dealership will be in a Volvo box & have a Volvo stamp on the filter itself. Look closely & it'll say Mann stamped on it too. So by purchasing a 'genuine' part, you're actually paying more for the same part that someone else (Mann) produced, just because its in Volvo packaging.

There's nothing wrong with using Mann filters on any Volvo, regardless of its value. They made the filters for Volvo in the first place! All you're paying for by getting parts from the dealership is the blue Volvo box & paying a higher price for a part that was made by someone else.

Kev0607 Jan 6th, 2021 22:10

@Bomster

Agreed. Volvo certainly know how to charge for them!

XC90Mk1 Jan 6th, 2021 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695792)
Mann manufacture high quality filters & supply them to Volvo. There's no difference between the filter you buy from Volvo & the filter you buy in Mann packaging... they're identical. The only difference is the filter you buy from the dealership will be in a Volvo box & have a Volvo stamp on the filter itself. Look closely & it'll say Mann stamped on it too. So by purchasing a 'genuine' part, you're actually paying more for the same part that someone else (Mann) produced, just because its in Volvo packaging.

There's nothing wrong with using Mann filters on any Volvo, regardless of its value. They made the filters for Volvo in the first place! All you're paying for by getting parts from the dealership is the blue Volvo box & paying a higher price for a part that was made by someone else.

The ‘Volvo’ filters I buy do indeed have ‘Mann’ on them. However with my Volvo still worth around £9,000, and with me servicing it myself at £15,000 purchase price I believe that the very small premium I have paid for the parts (I only pay £10 or £15 quid more for the oil, filter and washer) mean that I may get a better resale price when I sell it. I also fit it with matching good quality tyres etc.

A stack of genuine ‘Volvo’ headed invoices does tend to speak volumes when listed privately as while you and I know the Mann connection most buyers simply see Volvo or ‘something else’.

I have always had much much cheaper cars and always used motaquip which I found good quality.

XC90Mk1 Jan 6th, 2021 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695799)
@Bomster

Agreed. Volvo certainly know how to charge for them!

I find Volvo really reasonable for the older cars.

Kev0607 Jan 6th, 2021 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2695806)
The ‘Volvo’ filters I buy do indeed have ‘Mann’ on them. However with my Volvo still worth around £9,000, and with me servicing it myself at £15,000 purchase price I believe that the very small premium I have paid for the parts (I only pay £10 or £15 quid more for the oil, filter and washer) mean that I may get a better resale price when I sell it. I also fit it with matching good quality tyres etc.

A stack of genuine ‘Volvo’ headed invoices does tend to speak volumes when listed privately as while you and I know the Mann connection most buyers simply see Volvo or ‘something else’.

I have always had much much cheaper cars and always used motaquip which I found good quality.

I see what you mean. My car isn't worth as much as yours, but has been very well looked after. It had full Volvo dealership history up until 2018 or 2019 (I can't remember exactly off hand), then I've used an independent Volvo garage up until last year. The service book is fully stamped & I keep all the receipts to show a potential purchaser.

As my car is now nearly 14 years old, bringing it to garages for servicing & paying the labour charges etc for doing so doesn't seem worth it. I've decided to service it myself from now on. I'll bring it to the independent garage for anything I can't fix myself though. I'll write what I've done in the service book for my own records/future sale & keep the receipts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2695807)
I find Volvo really reasonable for the older cars.

I was referring to the sump plug washers. It'd be handy if I could buy some fairly cheap to keep in my garage. Volvo want just shy of £3 for one! I want my own stash of them to use for oil changes on my car & my Dad's V70. :tounge_smile:

XC90Mk1 Jan 6th, 2021 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695825)
I see what you mean. My car isn't worth as much as yours, but has been very well looked after. It had full Volvo dealership history up until 2018 or 2019 (I can't remember exactly off hand), then I've used an independent Volvo garage up until last year. The service book is fully stamped & I keep all the receipts to show a potential purchaser.

As my car is now nearly 14 years old, bringing it to garages for servicing & paying the labour charges etc for doing so doesn't seem worth it. I've decided to service it myself from now on. I'll bring it to the independent garage for anything I can't fix myself though. I'll write what I've done in the service book for my own records/future sale & keep the receipts.

That’s what I always do, it helps you to keep track.

Granted at 14 years old it’s not worth going with Volvo and it that instance I wouldn’t either.

I was servicing mine when I bought it at 5 years of age 😳! But over the next two or three years, should I keep it, I may well move to cheaper parts.

You may just suprise yourself if you phone the dealers. Some parts from Volvo direct can be very similar if not the Same price as the OEM.

MCFastybloke Jan 7th, 2021 07:43

Quote:

I was referring to the sump plug washers. It'd be handy if I could buy some fairly cheap to keep in my garage. Volvo want just shy of £3 for one! I want my own stash of them to use for oil changes on my car & my Dad's V70. :tounge_smile:

I could do with some too

XC90Mk1 Jan 7th, 2021 10:42

Quote:

That’s a good point, that’s where we may see value differently. Even at £3 I must admit I would buy 3 of them and not be bothered about less than £10.00.

I accept they probably cost 10p each to make however! 🤪

Kev0607 Jan 7th, 2021 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2695826)
That’s what I always do, it helps you to keep track.

Granted at 14 years old it’s not worth going with Volvo and it that instance I wouldn’t either.

I was servicing mine when I bought it at 5 years of age ��! But over the next two or three years, should I keep it, I may well move to cheaper parts.

You may just suprise yourself if you phone the dealers. Some parts from Volvo direct can be very similar if not the Same price as the OEM.

You could stick with Mann parts, as opposed to buying "genuine". We know Mann make the filters for Volvo, so you'd be buying the same thing in essence, except it won't be in a Volvo box. :teeth_smile:

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2695890)
That’s a good point, that’s where we may see value differently. Even at £3 I must admit I would buy 3 of them and not be bothered about less than £10.00.

I accept they probably cost 10p each to make however! ��

I suppose so. I might get some (four or so) from the dealership & keep them for future. Unless anyone knows where you can get them cheaper?

Bonefishblues Jan 7th, 2021 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695975)
You could stick with Mann parts, as opposed to buying "genuine". We know Mann make the filters for Volvo, so you'd be buying the same thing in essence, except it won't be in a Volvo box. :teeth_smile:

I suppose so. I might get some (four or so) from the dealership & keep them for future. Unless anyone knows where you can get them cheaper?

M12 copper crushable washers?

If so, eBay is your discount friend.

XC90Mk1 Jan 7th, 2021 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2695975)

When I sell my Volvo it will have about 10 official Volvo invoices for parts. Those 10 official invoices probably cost me £120.00 more than auto factors/ Euro car parts and I will probably get more than £120 back from the sale of the car.

That’s the theory anyway.!

Kev0607 Jan 7th, 2021 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonefishblues (Post 2696004)
M12 copper crushable washers?

If so, eBay is your discount friend.

I'm not sure of the exact name. I think the sump plug washer is the same size on the V70 & S80 P3 chassis.

MCFastybloke Jan 7th, 2021 21:58

I have some oil filters coming with washers, Gen items for a fiver each on ebay. I can measure the washer when it comes

Kev0607 Jan 7th, 2021 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCFastybloke (Post 2696100)
I have some oil filters coming with washers, Gen items for a fiver each on ebay. I can measure the washer when it comes

That would be great, thanks. :regular_smile:

Or, if anyone that has bought these sump plug washers online before & could post a link so I order the right ones! (For an S80/V70 P3 platform).

I've had a look on Ebay & a few of the listings I looked at say "This Listing is for 5 OE Volvo Sump Washers to replace 977751-7".

I believe the part number for the sump plug washer is 977751, with no '-7' mentioned.

Olaf Els Jan 8th, 2021 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kev0607 (Post 2696102)
Or, if anyone that has bought these sump plug washers online before & could post a link so I order the right ones! (For an S80/V70 P3 platform).

I can confirm that the engine sump plug is M18 thread, at least for the D5244T10 engine. I doubt if the others are different.

For many years I've replaced crush washers with Dowty seals, which are re-usable. You only need buy once and that's it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bonded-Do...C/260755134924

Kev0607 Jan 8th, 2021 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olaf Els (Post 2696134)
I can confirm that the engine sump plug is M18 thread, at least for the D5244T10 engine. I doubt if the others are different.

For many years I've replaced crush washers with Dowty seals, which are re-usable. You only need buy once and that's it. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bonded-Do...C/260755134924

That's great, thanks. :teeth_smile:

malc-c Jan 9th, 2021 16:22

I last serviced my v70 in March 2020 - car has done less than 3K miles since due to CV19, but will be serviced again in March 2021. I purchased genuine "volvo" parts from PartsMonster. These are their current prices for the parts I wanted pricing on.

Oil filter (can type) currently £13.40
Air filter - £27.35
New sump bolt and washer - £6.39
Plugs - £31.55 for a set
Pollen filter - £34.40
Fuel filter - £30.05

I opted to hold off the pollen filter as that was only replaced a few years back, but ordered the rest. Have I noticed any difference compared to the previous parts purchased form Halfords or local car accessory shop for 3rd party compatibles ? Hard to say. Is it worth buying genuine parts for a 22 year old car that I won't sell on... maybe, if it continues to prolong its life and give me more years of smooth running. I would hate to think that by trying to save a fiver on an cheap air filter I could end up with an expensive repair bill to replace something major as a result

Tatsfield Jan 9th, 2021 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by malc-c (Post 2696606)
I opted to hold off the pollen filter as that was only replaced a few years back,

Volvo say: "The cabin filter should be replaced every other service OR once a year" so perhaps you should now change it for a high quality filter that includes a carbon layer. The filter is only called a pollen filter but it filters the air you breathe in the cabin and not just for pollen. The air we breathe these days is more critical than it used to be! :regular_smile:

MCFastybloke Jan 9th, 2021 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2696632)
Volvo say: "The cabin filter should be replaced every other service OR once a year" so perhaps you should now change it for a high quality filter that includes a carbon layer. The filter is only called a pollen filter but it filters the air you breathe in the cabin and not just for pollen. The air we breathe these days is more critical than it used to be! :regular_smile:

My 2008 V70 came with the invoices from the previous services,all M/D, at 10 years old and 64k miles the pollen filter had been invoiced 3 times, i went to swap it out being a sceptic and it had a 2008 date on it.

Bonefishblues Jan 9th, 2021 20:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCFastybloke (Post 2696659)
My 2008 V70 came with the invoices from the previous services,all M/D, at 10 years old and 64k miles the pollen filter had been invoiced 3 times, i went to swap it out being a sceptic and it had a 2008 date on it.

I've read more surprising things tbh, judging by the state of every single cabin filter I've ever changed.

Bomster Jan 9th, 2021 21:38

Quote:

That really is poor... and all the more reason to service yourself if you can, and when it makes sense.

It's criminal behaviour really, fair enough missing the odd filter by mistake but I imagine there are plenty of garages who charge for things they routinely don't do. Especially poor from a main dealer. Surprised manufacturers don't have some sort of 'secret shopper' who they send to their dealerships to check things like this.

I wonder how many garages out there don't even bother changing the oil and filter during a service.

TeamG Jan 10th, 2021 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomster (Post 2695459)
The only was you lose is if you trade the car in, as they will never accept DIY services.

I’ve once and recently had the opposite. We bought my wife a Nissan Juke (2yrs old) from a non-franchised dealer, which I serviced for the year she owned it. I also sorted the paintwork swirls that the dealer’s ‘PDI’ team had caused and properly cleaned the inside, engine bay, underneath, wheels and wheel arches. When we brought it back a year later for a part-ex and despite it still having a few weeks warranty left, the dealer increased the part-ex value over the estimate that he’d suggested over the phone and around £1000 more than I would have accepted. He commented that it was in better visual condition than the year-old Citroen we were buying from him and he popped it straight out on the forecourt with no further prep. We lost £300 in depreciation for that car and the dealer put it up for what we paid for it the year before. He had no issues with my home servicing (I have a stamp as I’ve a VAT number, despite the family business being entirely unrelated to the motoring trade).

Yes, I’ll readily admit that this is a one-off and I didn’t expect it, but in my experience the overall condition and evidence of maintenance can equal Volvo receipts in terms of future value, particularly when you’re selling an older car. Anyone can wash and wax the paintwork, but is the engine bay spotless, are the wipers new, tyres matching, underneath and suspension parts clean and tidy, interior spotless in the hard to reach areas (move seats forwards/backwards, lift the boot carpet etc). Does the previous owner know common torque settings when asked (wheel nuts, oil filter, sump plug for example). Do they know the timing and aux belt intervals? Brake disc min thickness etc. I don’t mind seeing non-Volvo names on an air filter or back of the brake pad (both easy checks when buying), as long as the manufacturers are reputable. Receipts are less easy to keep now, particularly with online buying. You should be able to spot a competent enthusiast based on the points above. Bonus marks if they have increased the maintenance (I do oil every 6mths, brake fluid every year as they are cheap to change, and keeping both clean will be better, but not essential).

MCFastybloke Jan 10th, 2021 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomster (Post 2696731)
That really is poor... and all the more reason to service yourself if you can, and when it makes sense.

I wonder how many garages out there don't even bother changing the oil and filter during a service.

I have a fiat doblo van, first main dealer service at 20k miles,from the menu its over £300, air,oil,fuel filters so top side on the money, at 30k i decided i would do it my self, the air filter they put in was a crosland, an exclusive to eurocarparts for £6.04 inc Vat. So main dealer fitting budget aftermarket parts.

A friend with a jag XJ 5.0, twin air filter on that, at 54k miles invoiced twice he went to look, dated 2010. Main Stealer is a term well earned, if they think thay can get away with this simple stuff how many brake/power steering gearbox fluid swaps are routinely passed off, plus other not easily checked by a layman stuff.

Olaf Els Jan 10th, 2021 10:44

Quote:

They could have had a lot of stock of 2008 filters and fitted one three times