Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Oil change on 08 V70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=304476)

Lexington013 Mar 12th, 2020 10:24

Oil change on 08 V70

About to get the oil changed on my V70.
Previous owner had this done and filled to the max which subsequently triggered the engine mgmt warning message.
National are advising 6 litres of oil for the oil change? Is 5 to 5.5 litres the correct fill to keep it below the max and not suffer the rising oil level issue?

Clan Mar 12th, 2020 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexington013 (Post 2609039)
About to get the oil changed on my V70.
Previous owner had this done and filled to the max which subsequently triggered the engine mgmt warning message.
National are advising 6 litres of oil for the oil change? Is 5 to 5.5 litres the correct fill to keep it below the max and not suffer the rising oil level issue?

They are wrong 5.7 litres of the best 0w/30 :-)

Scooser Mar 12th, 2020 17:31

Even when the garage has put in 5.7 litres, because of rising oil levels during the year due to DPF regeneration I’ve had the engine management light come one and had to suck out a couple of hundred millilitres.

I now ask the garage to put in 5.5 litres and don’t have an issue across the year.

Clan Mar 12th, 2020 21:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooser (Post 2609158)
Even when the garage has put in 5.7 litres, because of rising oil levels during the year due to DPF regeneration I’ve had the engine management light come one and had to suck out a couple of hundred millilitres.

I now ask the garage to put in 5.5 litres and don’t have an issue across the year.

It would be wise to fix the rising oil level problem.. that hasn't been a problem since they revised the level to 5.7 litres from 6.5 ..

Tatsfield Mar 13th, 2020 10:17

Can you clarify this. When you say they reduced the oil fill and fixed the oil rising problem, do you mean that by reducing the initial fill level they made room for possible oil level rises between oil changes so the problem never reached a warning light level or are you saying that they actually stopped any diesel fuel/lubricating oil contamination altogether. The first wouldn't actually be a fix but only a work-around that reduced owner anxiety but didn't remove the shortcomings of the regeneration system. I have never had an issue with my 2012 XC70 but knowing what the situation really is helps in decision making.

Clan Mar 13th, 2020 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatsfield (Post 2609311)
Can you clarify this. When you say they reduced the oil fill and fixed the oil rising problem, do you mean that by reducing the initial fill level they made room for possible oil level rises between oil changes so the problem never reached a warning light level or are you saying that they actually stopped any diesel fuel/lubricating oil contamination altogether. The first wouldn't actually be a fix but only a work-around that reduced owner anxiety but didn't remove the shortcomings of the regeneration system. I have never had an issue with my 2012 XC70 but knowing what the situation really is helps in decision making.

There was also a software update around the same time for the rising oil level problem around 2007 if i remember correctly , the reduction of oil level from 6.5 litres to 5.7 also gave more headroom . But this was never a long standing problem , there was another software after a while . Its important to keep the software up to date as they tweak it quite often .

Lexington013 Mar 13th, 2020 13:20

Ok got the oil change done, 5.7 litres ofcorrect grade.will run it for a few days and see what happens.

green van man Mar 21st, 2020 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexington013 (Post 2609361)
Ok got the oil change done, 5.7 litres ofcorrect grade.will run it for a few days and see what happens.

At an independant, yourself or at a dealers?

If the car has not seen a dealers for a while the electronics could be running an out of date program.
It's the reason my xc70 gets a service at the dealers once a year, I do most other things myself.

Paul.

Lexington013 Mar 21st, 2020 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by green van man (Post 2611431)
At an independant, yourself or at a dealers?

If the car has not seen a dealers for a while the electronics could be running an out of date program.
It's the reason my xc70 gets a service at the dealers once a year, I do most other things myself.

Paul.

At an independent. Dashboard warning has gone. Car is being traded in against an XC60 shortly when I can find the right one.

100K+ Mar 25th, 2020 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2609226)
It would be wise to fix the rising oil level problem.. that hasn't been a problem since they revised the level to 5.7 litres from 6.5 ..

Just done an oil change on my 2014 V70 D5. Its not seen a dealer since Dec 2016. Nothings ever broke, and year 3,4 and 5 services have been done by me. This time rather than mess around I filled the engine straight away with 5.7litres of oil. A 4 litre can of Castrol 0w30 + a 1.7 litre measured amount of the same oil.
In previous years I have added about 5 litres then topped up a couple of times to give the electronic dash dip a mid-point reading.
Now the electronic dash dip is now showing oil level to be full. Would this indicate I had 0.8 litres of old oil still in the engine when I topped up ( don't see how as car was level at draining) or will the software be correct to identify that 5.7 litres is the new Max.?

Cheers
Bob