Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Timing belt and screen washers (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293984)

05XC90 Apr 19th, 2019 09:21

Timing belt and screen washers

Hi folks, have an 05 XC90 D5 that's just hit 150k and just wondering when you reckon the timing belt/waterpump should be done?
It had a genuine belt and pump fitted by Volvo at around 96k in 2013. Is it an 8year 100k thing then?

Washers have stopped working, when I pull the leaver can hear a pump but have a suspicion it's for the heatlight washers (and yes I've filled the bottle with water :tounge_smile: lol)

Thanks in advance :regular_smile:

05XC90 May 4th, 2019 09:09

Anyone?:confused_smile:

S60D5-185 May 4th, 2019 09:20

Hi, the belt KIT should be changed every 10 years or 96K ( from memory ) so yours should be fine for asges.

When yours was changed in 2013 were all tensioners / rollers etc on BOTH belts done?

Tannaton May 4th, 2019 16:49

On the XC90 there are more than one washer pump (depending on year) but the headlight washer pump is bigger and higher pressure than for the windscreen. It should only operate when the headlights are on and I think every 5th application of the jets.

My suggestions would be to remove the washer reservoir (easy to do, peel back the RHS of the bumper) and strip and clean it - there is a filter on each pump that can get blocked. Check also a hose hasn't come off and water leaking in the bonnet area somewhere.

double99 May 5th, 2019 06:45

On my xc60 first time i changed timing belt on 185k. But i think you can start it now on 150k too.

05XC90 May 5th, 2019 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by S60D5-185 (Post 2517916)
Hi, the belt KIT should be changed every 10 years or 96K ( from memory ) so yours should be fine for asges.

When yours was changed in 2013 were all tensioners / rollers etc on BOTH belts done?

Brilliant, cheers, it was done by Volvo dealer so I'd assume so :teeth_smile: think the receipt is in the service book :teeth_smile:

05XC90 May 5th, 2019 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2517996)
On the XC90 there are more than one washer pump (depending on year) but the headlight washer pump is bigger and higher pressure than for the windscreen. It should only operate when the headlights are on and I think every 5th application of the jets.

My suggestions would be to remove the washer reservoir (easy to do, peel back the RHS of the bumper) and strip and clean it - there is a filter on each pump that can get blocked. Check also a hose hasn't come off and water leaking in the bonnet area somewhere.

Thanks for info, there doesn't seem to be any water leaking, i'd say blocked filters likely the cause of headlight washers, didn't know only worked when lights on, my lights are constantly on though!

Any thoughts on windscreen washers, or any common issues, doesn't seem to be any noise from pump, just before I leave into mechanic :confused_smile:

05XC90 Aug 14th, 2019 09:39

Had forgotten to post again, washers turned out to be a really embarrassingly easy fix :tounge_smile:
Sanded the fuse and in round holder and refitted...………..hey presto I no longer needed a fairy liquid bottle in the door pocket :regular_smile: