Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Engine history (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306438)

Thowdfella May 30th, 2020 09:48

Engine history

I would like to know precisely which engine version is in my car so that I get the right timing etc. I remember seeing somewhere a contact lady who could look up the build history but now cannot find it. Has anyone got this info please.
My car is a 122s 1966

Clan May 30th, 2020 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thowdfella (Post 2633707)
I would like to know precisely which engine version is in my car so that I get the right timing etc. I remember seeing somewhere a contact lady who could look up the build history but now cannot find it. Has anyone got this info please.
My car is a 122s 1966

That is a B18B I presume ( twin SU carbs) ? 17-19 Degrees BTDC rpm at 1500 rpm , vacuum pipe removed from distributor sticks in my mind from 45 years ago ...

Thowdfella May 30th, 2020 13:57

There are different timings tapper adjustment and other parameters depending on whether it's a b18 type a/b/c engine which is why I would like to know exactly which engine I Have

c1800 May 30th, 2020 16:07

Quote:

My car is a 122s 1966

The Volvo Museum can tell you what the serial number is of the engine the car was built with.

To understand what engine you have you'll need to decode the serial number

https://www.scandcar.com/motortypen-volvo/

grumpydad May 30th, 2020 18:22

Hi
most of what you want to know is now no good to you
the octane rating and the amount of lead !!! well no lead is different
so if you want perfection go to a rolling road
or just do the best you can

Derek UK May 30th, 2020 19:00

Ulla at the Volvo archives has long retired.
Hopefully you have got at least a Haynes manual for the 120. Not much missing as far as basic information. It includes all you need to supply the info you are requesting.

classicswede May 31st, 2020 09:45

Quote:

I would like to know precisely which engine version is in my car so that I get the right timing etc.

I see this question pop up on a daily basis, it is something I would never really bother to want to look into.

By knowing what the engine WAS you will know

What the compression ration was over 50 YEARS AGO
If it was supplied as a single or twin carb engine
What cam was fitted over 50 YEARS AND AGO
What ignition timing was used for the fuel of 50 YEARS AGO

It does not really help you to know what your compression ratio is now, it will not tell you what your bore is now and offer you no more than a starting point for where to set the timing.

Like I said it is a common question but is only telling you about how the engine started life. It is like asking someone their birth weight in a job interview

Thowdfella Jun 2nd, 2020 08:10

Let me explain why I need to know. My Son has a 66 P1800 and my car is a 122s 66. He believes we both have the B18 engine and so I have set tappets and timing for a B engine.
Checking all the info I can find it now appears my car is definitely a B18D and his a B18B with the higher output so if this is correct I will have to reset mine.

B18b - tappets 20-22 Ignition timing 17-19 @ 1500rpm
B18D - tappets 16 - 18, Ignition timing, 22 - 24 (type 1) 17 - 19 type 2 and 3

So, is mine a B18 D and what on earth are these type 1 2 and 3

Dibble Jun 2nd, 2020 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek UK (Post 2633864)
Ulla at the Volvo archives has long retired.
Hopefully you have got at least a Haynes manual for the 120. Not much missing as far as basic information. It includes all you need to supply the info you are requesting.

Yes, Ulla has gone but I thought that Volvo Historic archives were still available. Ulla was very helpful to me when I was restoring my Amazon and I called the car after her. She was very flattered!

grumpydad Jun 3rd, 2020 00:11

Hi
when you have reset yours
can you please come back
and tell us if you can tell the difference

Thanks