Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Looking to buy a V70 need some help.... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=154168)

Danhere May 29th, 2012 22:26

They can be very expensive to fix......

Aks650 May 29th, 2012 22:34

In what way?

Axionknight May 30th, 2012 02:00

Angle gears, center diffs etc for the AWD system, gotta keep all four tyres within a certain amount of tread of each other or it can shag the diffs on earlier ones too, all that can rack up bills amounting to big biccies..... Unless your really, really, REALLY needing the AWD I suggest you go for a 2WD instead, less possible hastle.

Axionknight May 30th, 2012 02:04

The pre ME7 cars are also generally cheaper to fix, no nasty etm failures for example. A pre ME7 car will have a normal old fashioned mechanic throttle cable where as an ME7 will have an electronic throttle setup, can be time for a saaaaaaaad face if it goes wrog.

Aks650 May 30th, 2012 06:56

Yeah that's what I've been reading about the AWD system... By all accounts I've not heard amazing things about the cross country.. I thought it would of been less problematic! Lol! This one is a R reg I'm meant to be going for a look on Thursday.. But I'm getting scared off now and might just go back to looking at FWD normal 2.5 ones!

Axionknight May 30th, 2012 07:21

Should be fine aslong as it hasn't been abused, but random failures do happen, just the way it is I guess, 2WD is obviously a simpler set up with less foibles.

T5R/850R IMO - Sensible choice, haha :D

capt jack May 30th, 2012 14:56

2WD V70s are pretty darn good in poor weather, without the need for 4WD.

These car's aren't true off-roaders anyway - the only plus they have is a few more inches ground clearance.

If you need a 4X4 you need a 4X4, but from the experience of my 1997 V70 in the snow over the past couple of winters, careful use of the TRACS and W setting on the autobox got me through where for example the gaffer's brand new BMW X1 4WD toy with all the gimmicks got well and truly stuck........

Of course that might have been down to superior driver skills?

Cheers

Jack

RUTV70 May 30th, 2012 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt jack (Post 1175083)
2WD V70s are pretty darn good in poor weather, without the need for 4WD.

These car's aren't true off-roaders anyway - the only plus they have is a few more inches ground clearance.

If you need a 4X4 you need a 4X4, but from the experience of my 1997 V70 in the snow over the past couple of winters, careful use of the TRACS and W setting on the autobox got me through where for example the gaffer's brand new BMW X1 4WD toy with all the gimmicks got well and truly stuck........

Of course that might have been down to superior driver skills?

Cheers

Jack

Yep...I can second that, Jack...my 2WD V70 (Auto.!!) has been superb over the previous couple of harsh Winters...and was often the ONLY vehicle that made it up the slope into the car park where I used to work, after snow and the subsequent ice...!!!
But I agree...superior driving skills do help...LOL

Neil

Jules_V70R May 30th, 2012 19:30

Well hello and welcome, this could be your lucky day !!

Fancy a trip down the M90 to look at my Big Blue ?

It's a 1998 V70R and it's just come up for sale.

It has a couple of faults but I'm totally up front and honest about them.

It's within your budget and funnily enough it's a Scottish car !!

Aks650 May 30th, 2012 21:56

Pm me some details if you want? Or email me on m18aks@hotmail.com