Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   General: Looking to buy XC90 - Steering pump leak (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=285211)

Bodgit09 Aug 13th, 2018 08:11

Looking to buy XC90 - Steering pump leak

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a 2006 Ocean Race 2.5T

It appears very nice. Just tipped over 130K (km)
I will do cambelt and a service.

Just had a pre-purchase inspection and service identified as needed, bonnet struts weak and steering pump seems to be leaking as is reservoir. Should I walk away or just expect it for a 12 year old car?

Thanks in advance

Bodgit09 Aug 15th, 2018 00:52

Hi all. Not to worry. Bought it anyway with legs and fingers crossed. Getting cambelt done today and full service. Will see what else transpires. Shouldn't be too much as I had a good pre-purchase inspection. Keep 'em crossed for me. Will post some details when I get it back

S60D5-185 Aug 15th, 2018 07:27

One basic but very important thing, either get the car raised on a 4 post garage lift OR lie down near the centre of the car,reach under and grip the propshaft firmly. If you can rotate it the splines on the angle gear is worn and you will not have AWD untii it is repaired.

In addition if the car is an auto, change the Gearbox fluid as a matter of course. On your car you MUST use JWS 3309 Spec oil.

Plenty of threads on here about how to do it .

Tannaton Aug 15th, 2018 08:21

The steering pump and reservoir are both very easy and cheap to replace. Many of the pumps "sweat" - i.e. the casing is damp and collects dust but the leak is not bad enough to drip or cause any fluid loss. Probably a quarter of XC90's are driving around like this....

SwissXC90 Aug 15th, 2018 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2437495)
The steering pump and reservoir are both very easy and cheap to replace. Many of the pumps "sweat" - i.e. the casing is damp and collects dust but the leak is not bad enough to drip or cause any fluid loss. Probably a quarter of XC90's are driving around like this....

Yep, my power steering pump is sweating. Clean it off every 2 months and monitor the levels, but no trouble whatsoever for the last 2 years

Bodgit09 Aug 16th, 2018 07:53

So quick update. Got the vehicle back. Repairs cheaper than budgeted.

Cambelt, water pump, 2 bonnet struts, full service, air filter, 5 new plugs, flush, oils and labour - NZ$2114.30 incl GST (that's NZ VAT).

I got the price reduced by over $1500 from asking (and got a full tank of fuel) and would have discovered nasties when I did service so 'happy' with that and as promised keeping everybody (if interested) appraised.

Next on my list, boot liner, FM Band expander, spare key, and then live with it for a while.

SwissXC90 Aug 16th, 2018 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodgit09 (Post 2437896)
FM Band expander, spare key, and then live with it for a while.

Band Expanders are absolutely awful things

Get the radio reprogrammed to Euro bands, by loading the right software at the dealer - if the dealer system allows it....

Bodgit09 Aug 17th, 2018 05:07

Boot liner sourced, (kept one from previous Pathfinder). Have sourced a new/spare 'Valet' key which will open door and start car and I therefore assume bypass immobiliser.a fifth of the price of a new key. Questions is now, will it stop alarm if inserted in car? How does valet key stop alarm? New key will have chip etc just not the remote functions for unlock, lock, panic, boot and arrival lights. Did good 2 hr trip today. Motorway and stop start in traffic. Like car so far. Hunts/surges a tiny bit when idling but only a tiny bit. Not keen on very small handbrake pedal but operation same as our old Estima. Be nice to have the Pathfinder's hill assist but minor issue there.

Bodgit09 Aug 17th, 2018 05:11

May have answered my own question. The manual - https://volvo.custhelp.com/app/manua...nual/om_id/507 - does say: "Disarming the alarm - Press the UNLOCK button on the remote control or unlock the doors with the key."

Here's hoping

S60D5-185 Aug 17th, 2018 07:07

Have you checked the propshaft yet? If the spline is worn you will not get any message but will have front wheel drive only.